Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Is This Normal?

I watch a 22month old dcg she is always digging in her nose, how do you stop something like this? She is also pulling down her shirt to play with her nipples. Is this normal 2year old behavior? I have told her mom about the nipple thing and her mom just says she does that a home. Seriously!!! I don't want my daughter to pick up that habit. This little girl has all the kids calling everything "mine" drives me nuts. I talked to her mom but has no clue where she got that from. SURE. How do I stop this before it gets worst?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Kids have such nasty habits!! LOL! I just try to keep BOTH hands busy...that way there is no hand available for any type of picking, pinching, rubbing, pulling, twiddling or any other bad habits!! Good luck! Hopefully it is just a phase and she moves on.....and not to other areas!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

most 2 year olds DO start calling everything mine. most 2-99 year olds pick their nose

it's just a matter of getting her to know that she has to hide and do it - and that's when she'll start eating her boogers too. jk.

make her go wash her hands - REALLY wash them good in the sink every single time you see her picking her nose. i've used that with kids who pick their nose, suck their thumb, or put their hands in their pants. it IS a habit, but it can be broken when they get tired of spending their day at the sink. after a few visits to the sink, you'll catch her with finger in mid air looking to see if you notice
Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Sounds normal to me. Kids do things like that. Just redirect her when you see it and eventually she should forget about it.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualiTcare View Post
most 2 year olds DO start calling everything mine. most 2-99 year olds pick their nose

it's just a matter of getting her to know that she has to hide and do it - and that's when she'll start eating her boogers too. jk.

make her go wash her hands - REALLY wash them good in the sink every single time you see her picking her nose. i've used that with kids who pick their nose, suck their thumb, or put their hands in their pants. it IS a habit, but it can be broken when they get tired of spending their day at the sink. after a few visits to the sink, you'll catch her with finger in mid air looking to see if you notice
This!!! It works like a charm. I've had several go through this only to be mid-pick or mid-suck, see me look at them, and get up to go wash their hands. No words exchanged, just thinking, "Aw, I got caught again..."
Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM

i tell them ( the older SAgers) "if you pick it, you gotta eat it"

(the kids know i'm only kidding when i say it)

seriously though, i make them wash their hands every time too. they get sick of it fast.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM

QualiTcare's suggestion is a good one. I broke DD's habit of sticking her hands down her pants because "my butt is scratchy!!!" by making her go wash them every.single.time I saw her do it (or caught a whiff of stinky hands...blech) and she seems to have stopped.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:41 AM

If I catch any kids picking their noses, I make them get a tissue "to get the boogie out". Then they have to throw it away & wash their hands. Sometimes they have itches and "boogies" they just have to take care of! LOL

Tags
bad habits, picks nose