Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
Unregistered 09:10 AM 11-01-2013
Don't bring a snack over for your child (in an elmo container) and parade it in front of the other kids, coddle your child who does not want to share and think that I am going to fend other kids off so your child can eat in front of the other kids. Get real, who do you think you are? I said to that mom, I am taking it away and I am not dealing with this. She left all like she was sad that her daughter was having a tude.

I really wish she had daycare and I could do this to her.

I just wanted to fire that mom for being an enabler.
JoseyJo 11:45 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Don't bring a snack over for your child (in an elmo container) and parade it in front of the other kids, coddle your child who does not want to share and think that I am going to fend other kids off so your child can eat in front of the other kids. Get real, who do you think you are? I said to that mom, I am taking it away and I am not dealing with this. She left all like she was sad that her daughter was having a tude.

I really wish she had daycare and I could do this to her.

I just wanted to fire that mom for being an enabler.
Exactly! On that same note: If you don't like other children "bothering" your child at drop off stop letting them bring in toys (and making sure comment loudly about said toy if the other children don't come to look quick enough )
Unregistered 12:30 PM 11-01-2013
I was asked by a mom today if she could make playdough for all the kids and have $40 deducted from what she owes me! She said she doesn't want seem cheap but she just started her job and can't afford to work for free. Ugh if you can't afford my rates which are cheaper then other providers in my area then stay home with your kids! This is the same mom that sends her kids here with suckers first thing in the am and bribes her two year old to leave by telling him he can ride in the front seat on the way home! Also sends no change of clothes or underwear for her kids who are not as potty trained as she said they were oh .....I could go on and on! But I won't , I will however be changing my policies and talking with her. I got into this business because I enjoy children and want to be home with mine so I can homeschool them. I don't want the parents of the kids I watch taking all the fun out of it! How do you all deal with these kind of things?
SilverSabre25 02:23 PM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was asked by a mom today if she could make playdough for all the kids and have $40 deducted from what she owes me! She said she doesn't want seem cheap but she just started her job and can't afford to work for free. Ugh if you can't afford my rates which are cheaper then other providers in my area then stay home with your kids! This is the same mom that sends her kids here with suckers first thing in the am and bribes her two year old to leave by telling him he can ride in the front seat on the way home! Also sends no change of clothes or underwear for her kids who are not as potty trained as she said they were oh .....I could go on and on! But I won't , I will however be changing my policies and talking with her. I got into this business because I enjoy children and want to be home with mine so I can homeschool them. I don't want the parents of the kids I watch taking all the fun out of it! How do you all deal with these kind of things?
i joined the forum and post here often

seriously though, it does help. I'm homeschooling my 6 yo first grader, too, so I get it. Sorry that mom is a lazy doofus. If she can afford the playdough supplies, why can't she just pay you? Weirdo.
TwinKristi 04:31 PM 11-01-2013
^^ because playdoh supplies are waaaay cheaper than $40! How much playdoh could you buy for $40? Hmmm, 10 two ounce cups are less than $7 on Amazon. Sooooo let's say 120oz for $40? Hahahaha! Yeah no thanks. LOL
Josiegirl 05:50 AM 11-02-2013
Twin, offer to trade daycare for cleaning services? Just a thought...but yeh I would have chuckled inside at her suggestion of playdoh. Good grief!
JoseyJo 10:23 AM 11-02-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Twin, offer to trade daycare for cleaning services? Just a thought...but yeh I would have chuckled inside at her suggestion of playdoh. Good grief!
Great idea! I would pay $10 an hour for some cleaning... dusting, sanitizing, carpet shampooing, cleaning the baseboards... Way less than it's worth but you beggars cant be choosers right?
Unregistered 01:19 PM 11-04-2013
First, venting cause I can't sign in!! Second, venting because new daycare parent refuses to follow contract and pay for days she isn't here. I responded by telling her I could not provide care if she doesn't follow her contract and she's now bad mouthing me!!
Sunshine74 09:39 PM 11-04-2013
We have a DCB who is completely non-verbal. He comes to daycare, is bussed to a program in the morning/early afternoon, then comes back to us right around when our nap is over. Well, Friday he was sent back to daycare with a lump/bruise on his head. Checked his backpack, notebook, and folder, and there was no note or accident report anywhere!

Well we called the school and they told us what happened and said they "tried to get a hold of DCD but he didn't answer". So not only did they send a non-verbal child home (or to daycare) with an injury, no one would have known what happened to him had we not called. Who does that?
JoseyJo 10:44 AM 11-08-2013
Dear DCM:

Please know that I know you have a 1/2 day today, and that it really really irks me that you know I am sick and are still leaving your children here 10 hours.

It irks me even more considering that you have been whining to me all week that you want me to send another child home because he "might" be sick, but last week you tried to bring in dcb who was "farting diarrhea and throwing up, but it seems to be lessening now"

Please also know that from now on I am sending your children home at the first sign of illness, that I am not going to talk to you for 30 min at p/u and d/o, and I am going to start charging you late fees for late payments.

Vent over
Play Care 03:54 AM 11-11-2013
I am open today for business, despite the fact it's Veteran's Day and most of my parents will be off. This would be fine, except younger DD threw up in bed at 1:00 this morning, in her sleep. Even with husband helping, it took almost 45 minutes to get everything cleaned up and get her back to bed I would LOVE to call off and let her rest, but don't dare. Thankfully husband is also home today (teacher) so hopefully he can run interference at least for the morning.
daycarediva 07:16 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I am open today for business, despite the fact it's Veteran's Day and most of my parents will be off. This would be fine, except younger DD threw up in bed at 1:00 this morning, in her sleep. Even with husband helping, it took almost 45 minutes to get everything cleaned up and get her back to bed I would LOVE to call off and let her rest, but don't dare. Thankfully husband is also home today (teacher) so hopefully he can run interference at least for the morning.
Awww I'm open, too. Most of my families needed me and are paying 'holiday' pay (1.5 regular rate).

My ds was sick Saturday-Sunday, only threw up once, and that was it so hopefully your dd feels better asap!
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 11-11-2013
Aww, that sucks!

I'm open today too but here sadly Veteran's day only means the banks and our local community college is closed. All our public schools and everything else is open as they normally are.

I have only one mom I college but she is using the day to get caught up with her homework so her kids will still come. I have another who works at a bank so I have a full boat of regular kids minus one. NOT much of an easy day but oh, well.... The holidays are coming and I get the most time off during that time of the year so YAH!

Hoping your DD feels better soon!
Cradle2crayons 07:27 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Aww, that sucks!

I'm open today too but here sadly Veteran's day only means the banks and our local community college is closed. All our public schools and everything else is open as they normally are.

I have only one mom I college but she is using the day to get caught up with her homework so her kids will still come. I have another who works at a bank so I have a full boat of regular kids minus one. NOT much of an easy day but oh, well.... The holidays are coming and I get the most time off during that time of the year so YAH!

Schools are open here too and so am I!!

But only my two awesome dck are here. And tomorrow is a much needed daycare day off for me... First one in 3 weeks!! Go me!!!

I love Mondays because I only have these two, even though on Mondays I have them from 900 am until 900 pm. I don't mind. These two are a joy!!
Play Care 08:55 AM 11-11-2013
Aww, that sucks!

Thanks! I am also off a lot for the upcoming holidays, which is one of the reasons I didn't take a sick day. This is the part whee I get resentful. Especially since the kids have been AWFUL.
Leanna 10:09 AM 11-12-2013
So, per our daily routine, I took my DCK's for a walk and then into my backyard to play this morning. I am just pulling out trikes and balls and rakes for the kids when I look up and see a whole dead deer strung to a tree in the neighbors yard (maybe 30 feet away). Ugh! I didn't say anything and hoped the kids wouldn't notice (yeah right) but lo and behold: "Miss Leanna!!!!!! What is that????!!!!!!!" Hunt if you must but please don't leave dead animals where everyone can see them!
slorey 11:17 AM 11-12-2013
The only dck I have currently came last Thursday sneezing and non-stop runny nose all day. Mom kept her home Friday, but Sunday my ds, dd and myself all woke up with the start of a cold. So annoyed! I know kids get sick, but really? Now my sinuses hurt, I have post nasal drip gagging me non-stop (sorry if that is TMI) and my head and throat hurt. Hate when my family gets sick from dck's!
Sunshine74 07:29 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
So, per our daily routine, I took my DCK's for a walk and then into my backyard to play this morning. I am just pulling out trikes and balls and rakes for the kids when I look up and see a whole dead deer strung to a tree in the neighbors yard (maybe 30 feet away). Ugh! I didn't say anything and hoped the kids wouldn't notice (yeah right) but lo and behold: "Miss Leanna!!!!!! What is that????!!!!!!!" Hunt if you must but please don't leave dead animals where everyone can see them!
I feel the same way. I have facebook friends who hunt, and post pictures of the deer (or turkey) on their page, which goes into my newsfeed.
dingledine 12:44 PM 11-13-2013
Today I had a toddler that screamed almost non-stop for an hour, I think she just got herself worked up. Now I have another toddler that won't sleep, is he just laying there, kicking around. Hopefully it happens soon.
dingledine 01:05 PM 11-13-2013
Oh... so he finally fell asleep, and I then got 10-15 minutes, so I swept/steamed the kitchen floor, went potty, and in walks his sister. Really? Usually the all sleep about 75-90 minutes. I sent her back in to lay down, and I am back waiting, hoping she does rest. Today nap can't go past two, because my 8 year old gets home then, and invariably, the door wakes them all up. Hopefully, she can go back to sleep, I have some things I was hoping to take care of today, such as prepping for the kids class I volunteer teach, tonight.
farmgirl 04:33 PM 11-13-2013
retraining day! love it! feel like that every monday. Wish parents would realize that going, going, going all weekend is so hard on little kids. They need rest and playtime at home! Plus going after daycare then they are just exhausted! Poor babies
farmgirl 04:35 PM 11-13-2013
i agree. it totally disrupts the whole routine.
sally 05:58 AM 11-14-2013
My vents this morning are being told these 2 dcks would be here at 6:45 and they didn't show up until 7:45. And these parents constantly complain about daycare prices and their older daughter's school lunch prices but constantly eat out all the time, buy new shoes (brand names) for the 2 kids every couple months along with new clothes (brand names again). Just drives me crazy.
Cat Herder 08:53 AM 11-15-2013
25 minutes until lunch.... go to heat it up for serving. It is gone.

Pizza day is now Spaghetti day.... the only hot meal I can make in 25 minutes with what is left from last weeks shopping.

ON. A. FRIDAY.

Would it be completely wrong of me to make them eat naked outdoors???? It isn't THAT cold and wet out.

TGIF
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
25 minutes until lunch.... go to heat it up for serving. It is gone.

Pizza day is now Spaghetti day.... the only hot meal I can make in 25 minutes with what is left from last weeks shopping.

ON. A. FRIDAY.

Would it be completely wrong of me to make them eat naked outdoors???? It isn't THAT cold and wet out.

TGIF
Bet it's warmer than here

...and it should almost be a law that at least once per week we can serve spaghetti or some form of left over hodgepodge.

(WHO ate your pizza? )
Cat Herder 09:00 AM 11-15-2013
(WHO ate your pizza? )
That I don't know yet.... but with 3 teens, a husband and a couple recent trips to stock our parents feezers for winter, it could have be anyone. Even me.
Hunni Bee 02:00 PM 11-17-2013
Is "home-training" even a word anymore???

I'm using the bathroom in Wal-Mart (which is traumatic enough on its own) when I hear two little girls about 5 or 6 come rip-roaring into the restroom. They proceed to both go into the stall next to me. Soon, I see hands on the floor under the partition separating the two stalls, then hair, then two dirty little faces grinning up at me while I sat on the commode.

I gave them a look of death hoping they'd go away, but a minute later they're back, giggling. I said "Don't look under the wall please" sternly, and next thing I hear is them running out to tell their mother what I said.

I was more than ready for her to confront me about it.
Leanna 08:40 PM 11-17-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Is "home-training" even a word anymore???

I'm using the bathroom in Wal-Mart (which is traumatic enough on its own) when I hear two little girls about 5 or 6 come rip-roaring into the restroom. They proceed to both go into the stall next to me. Soon, I see hands on the floor under the partition separating the two stalls, then hair, then two dirty little faces grinning up at me while I sat on the commode.

I gave them a look of death hoping they'd go away, but a minute later they're back, giggling. I said "Don't look under the wall please" sternly, and next thing I hear is them running out to tell their mother what I said.

I was more than ready for her to confront me about it.
Oh oh oh. Did she say anything to you??? If those we my kids I would have been MORTIFIED. But, I know lots of moms who would have been offended that you dared scold their "angels."
Play Care 03:38 AM 11-18-2013
I'm annoyed with my assistant, who was hired to cover preschool transporting. It is a school year position. For some reason our school district decided instead of having a half day for parent-teacher conferences, as they have in the past, to give students the whole day off. I never told my assistant I didn't need her, and we've have other times where the school district was closed for a conference day but preschool was open and she still came to work. She assumed that I didn't need her and made an appointment. When I emailed her on Friday to remind her I still needed her, she told me she would be in after her appointment at 8:40. Preschool starts at 9:00 Because I'll have a SA boy today I won't have room to bring everyone for the ride, so my kids will be late for school
BumbleBee 07:39 AM 11-18-2013
Sick and tired of parents who believe it's everybody elses job to tow the line for their children.

News flash, YOU had em, YOU raise em! What a concept.

After dcm came this morning and TOLD me I would be getting dcg ready for dance class from now on (I have told her 3 times already that the most I will do is hand dcg her tights and tutu and she'll have to do it herself in the bathroom as that is the time I am getting 3 school agers moving in the same direction, 2 pick ups, and preparing snack) and I told her no. Dcm goes "well it takes a village to raise a child!"

Sorry dcm, if you didn't like my reply of "and I'm not the village idiot." But it's NOT MY PROBLEM!
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Sick and tired of parents who believe it's everybody elses job to tow the line for their children.

News flash, YOU had em, YOU raise em! What a concept.

After dcm came this morning and TOLD me I would be getting dcg ready for dance class from now on (I have told her 3 times already that the most I will do is hand dcg her tights and tutu and she'll have to do it herself in the bathroom as that is the time I am getting 3 school agers moving in the same direction, 2 pick ups, and preparing snack) and I told her no. Dcm goes "well it takes a village to raise a child!"

Sorry dcm, if you didn't like my reply of "and I'm not the village idiot." But it's NOT MY PROBLEM!
I would have replied "Yeah, I've seen the village and I don't want it anywhere near my child so you'll have to call on some other villager to help you out because this one isn't doing it."

Ya know this could be a money making situation.....tell her that readying her child for dance class is NOT in your list of provided services but you'll happily add it for an additional $100 per week.

Bet she figures it out on her own real quick.
BumbleBee 04:56 AM 11-21-2013
What part of "Power's out. Daycare closed until further notice" (by text/phone AND on the door) was confusing?

Go away. I'm not getting out from under these blankets to answer the door. It's 54 degrees in here.
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 11-22-2013
Let's set the scene....

Kids corralled to one side of the room in anticipation, banners/wall cover up, lights/streamers strung, kids hair styled/party clothes put on, tables set, drinks poured, music on........

Walk to playroom fridge. NO CUPCAKES

Banners/wall cover down, kids changed, table cleared, blocks/puzzles/manipulatives out, make frantic phone call. Confirm delivery.

Chew salt water taffy hard, pace, bite tongue, tear up.... pass out salt water taffy because you are now caught. Wipe drool..... wipe more drool.

Think party delay . 2 early pick-ups . 4 hour window .... Realize mid-naptime is the only option .

**Shoot me now.***

Deep breath, big girl panties....

Carry on.....
Lyss 08:40 AM 11-22-2013
DCM: "I noticed DCK ate veggies at lunch yesterday"
ME: ....
DCM: "Well DCK must not have eaten breakfast then and was starving, here give DCK this for breakfast" hands over yogurt and applesauce
Me: ....

Did I miss something? Are veggies bad now? (and PS DCK did eat breakfast too yesterday)
Cat Herder 09:04 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
DCM: "I noticed DCK ate veggies at lunch yesterday"
ME: ....
DCM: "Well DCK must not have eaten breakfast then and was starving, here give DCK this for breakfast" hands over yogurt and applesauce
Me: ....

Did I miss something? Are veggies bad now? (and PS DCK did eat breakfast too yesterday)
You just got a passive aggressive 8!#$% slap.

Translation: You just proved that her kid will eat veggies.

Her "special snowflake" theory is out the window. It is her problem, only.

She will make you pay by accusing you of starving him.
Atroya 11:39 AM 11-22-2013
And so the "bring the sick DCK to daycare" season begins. A few days ago I learned that one DCG's entire family was just getting over the flu(so is that what that cough/runny nose she had was from), they sent her to school with it too.

Today, a 4yr old DCB was coughing for a few days, so I finally asked him if mom and dad had taken his temp. He said yes, a few days ago, and said they gave him a little bit of medicine. UUGGG! My kids used to be in daycare too, so I know how hard it is to take time off of work...but when you are talking about potentially making 7 other people sick, including little ones, you suck it up and keep your kid out of daycare!!!! Send them to school if you want...but here in a home daycare setting, they are in closer quarters than at school, sharing toys, etc with little ones who stick toys in their mouths. I would so love to call the parents on it...since it is very explicitly mentioned in my contract that I do NOT want sick kids at daycare, even with a slight fever.

Maybe I should make a copy of my illness policy and post it on the door during the big cold/flu season. I need to buy stock in the hand sanitizer business. I use a squirt after every time I touch something one of the kids might have touched.

On top of all that, I have two other DCKs that have been coughing and snotting also..they are the ones I suspect of having either high functioning autism, or aspergers(mom and dad are in denial)..at 7 yrs old, they still wipe their hands on their nose, then proceed to touch everything, and both pick their noses and eat it. I have been telling them for 3 years to not pick their noses...and they still do it. Mom and dad must allow it. Just a few minutes ago, their mom sent me a text about how the one had to eat lunch with the principal today because he stomped on someone's foot....so he might be in a bad mood later. Really? Maybe it is time for mom and dad to realize that those kids, especially that one, has issues and they need to be addressed(even the school wanted them evaluated..parents said no) I have said nothing to the parents because they are super nice people, always pay on time, etc, and after hearing how irate they got with the school for suggesting it, I don't want to say anything for fear of loosing them. I am getting close to doing it though...those two are the main reason I am getting burned out on this, they are a lot to deal with..especially in the summer! The newer 4yr old DCB I have is acting kind of like them too, those behaviors really stand out. I just think...why me..am I a magnet for these people? I have never terminated anyone yet, but I think for my sanity it might start to look like a good idea to get rid of all 3 of them. I just can't afford it since daycare calls are few and far between. I should just go back to work and be done with it.

Sorry for the long vent. LOL
Maggie 10:09 AM 11-25-2013
Why oh why did you have to go and ruin a good thing by changing your scent! Your "new and improved" scent makes me want to puke! My brand new bottle will be going right in the trash because it smells so bad. I loved the smell of the original pine sol it made the dreaded task of cleaning my house almost enjoyable. Please please please bring back the original scent! If not does anyone know where I can get some on the black market? I'm having pine sol withdrawal!
Cradle2crayons 03:52 PM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by Maggie:
Why oh why did you have to go and ruin a good thing by changing your scent! Your "new and improved" scent makes me want to puke! My brand new bottle will be going right in the trash because it smells so bad. I loved the smell of the original pine sol it made the dreaded task of cleaning my house almost enjoyable. Please please please bring back the original scent! If not does anyone know where I can get some on the black market? I'm having pine sol withdrawal!
Dollar stores??
Meyou 08:14 AM 11-26-2013
4.75 hours dry and counting but refusing to go on the potty. It's a stalemate because I won't hand over the diaper that they want. Now I feel like a meanie but OMG it's ridiculous.
Sugar Magnolia 05:11 AM 11-28-2013
Its 41 degrees this morning in SW Florida! I had to put pants on.

That is all. Carry on, people used to cold weather.
JoseyJo 08:56 AM 11-28-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:

Blackcat31 09:28 AM 11-28-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:

Lol! My yard looks like a postcard .... Winter wonderland! We got a ton of fluffy snow last night!
Cradle2crayons 02:53 PM 11-28-2013
Lol! My yard looks like a postcard .... Winter wonderland! We got a ton of fluffy snow last night!
No pretty fluffy stuff here, just sheets of ice.... Yuck.
Sugar Magnolia 04:20 PM 11-28-2013
Oh my!!...... Beautiful. Definitely requires pants.
Laurel 07:20 AM 11-29-2013
That would make a nice Christmas card!

Laurel
Sunshine74 03:53 PM 11-29-2013
Yep, lots of fluffy stuff here too. Love it!
slorey 02:18 PM 12-02-2013
So annoyed right now! Been looking forward to having 2 full weeks off at Christmas/New year's since our school calendar came out in August. Dcm works for a different district and told me today they have to go back the day after New Year's, so now I have to decide if I am going to cut my vacation basically 4 days short so I can watch her daughter Th./F or leave her stranded with no care.
Unregistered 02:43 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by slorey:
So annoyed right now! Been looking forward to having 2 full weeks off at Christmas/New year's since our school calendar came out in August. Dcm works for a different district and told me today they have to go back the day after New Year's, so now I have to decide if I am going to cut my vacation basically 4 days short so I can watch her daughter Th./F or leave her stranded with no care.
Are there any babysitters in your area that you trust? You can always refer the DCM mom to a babysitter....? I used to be a childcare assistant for a home daycare and she would always close for the two weeks you mentioned, so the parents would always ask me if I would babysit until the DC opened back up from vacation.
Blackcat31 02:51 PM 12-02-2013
If your vacation was pre-planned, I would not worry about what that DCM is going to do for back up.

If you notified parents of your vacation days in advance, finding alternate care should be their problem not yours.

I say take the whole two weeks off, pass along any teen sitters you know that could be helpful for her and leave it at that.

You deserve the vacation you planned.
Cradle2crayons 03:11 PM 12-02-2013
If your vacation was pre-planned, I would not worry about what that DCM is going to do for back up.

If you notified parents of your vacation days in advance, finding alternate care should be their problem not yours.

I say take the whole two weeks off, pass along any teen sitters you know that could be helpful for her and leave it at that.

You deserve the vacation you planned.
mom has had since august to secure back up care. Don't let her problem be your problem.
slorey 06:40 PM 12-02-2013
Thanks ladies. The problem is that I never actually gave her dates for my vacation. It was understood that I was going to follow the school calendar this year, as I have the past 2 years. Our school calendar doesn't match her school calendar, which is where the problem is. Oh well, I am thinking of closing for good at the end of the year to go back to teaching (subbing until I get my foot in the door) so all this might not matter anyway, as I wouldn't be taking her in January if I do that! Wish I could make up my mind about that, but that is an entirely different vent!
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 12-03-2013
Thanks ladies. The problem is that I never actually gave her dates for my vacation. It was understood that I was going to follow the school calendar this year, as I have the past 2 years. Our school calendar doesn't match her school calendar, which is where the problem is. Oh well, I am thinking of closing for good at the end of the year to go back to teaching (subbing until I get my foot in the door) so all this might not matter anyway, as I wouldn't be taking her in January if I do that! Wish I could make up my mind about that, but that is an entirely different vent!
Oh okay...I understand now. Still when I say "OUR" school calendar, I mean the one in which I live in.

I have DCM's that work in 3 different surrounding school districts but I make it clear to them that my school calendar may not match theirs so they need to do the cross checking etc to meet their scheduling needs.

Sorry to hear you are thinking about permanently closing... or maybe congratulations instead.. ?? Either way, there is still plenty of time for you to decide.
Play Care 03:19 AM 12-05-2013
I get paid the Friday *before* the week of care. I have always done it this way. I've never had any issues from this. Most of my families understand this. It works well because I've never been stiffed, and if I do have unpaid time coming up, I can tell parents to adjust their payments accordingly ahead of time.

I had told people that my time off for Thanksgiving was unpaid - I was taking Wednesday off this year as well as Thursday and Friday and just felt better personally taking it unpaid (you know sometimes I want a day off more then I want the money...) Two of my parents gave me the usual amount. I explained it was unpaid time, and I would apply the remaining balance to the following week, and they would just have to pay the remaining balance on Monday. On Monday one parent wrote a check that was more then the balance, and the other hasn't paid. I sat down and wrote out the math for both of them and gave them each a notice letting them know what their situation was and what would be owed.

The one who hasn't paid is CLUELESS. He honestly thought that he was current with payment - and this isn't the first time I've had to address payment issues with him! But my vent (sorry it took so long ) He manages to make me feel like I am somehow in the wrong, he never comes out and says anything, just questions it as though he is trying to see if I am sneaking something by him. The kid is awesome for the most part and he does pay on time and in full (usually) but OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
Scout 04:08 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Maggie:
ITA!! I have a bottle that says original but, it smells completely different than the bottle my aunt gave me this summer when my whole city flooded. I stsrted using it then for my floors because kt smelled so good and then I discovered it cleaned my walls beautifully! Only to buy another bottle that doesnt smell as good.
sally 06:02 AM 12-05-2013
My full time family has move to more part time and none of my interviews has panned out so I think I'm going to close up and go get an overnight job. Of course part time family is po'd and wants me to keep watching their kids because they have the craziest schedule that no one else wants to take on
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 12-05-2013
I get paid the Friday *before* the week of care. I have always done it this way. I've never had any issues from this. Most of my families understand this. It works well because I've never been stiffed, and if I do have unpaid time coming up, I can tell parents to adjust their payments accordingly ahead of time.

I had told people that my time off for Thanksgiving was unpaid - I was taking Wednesday off this year as well as Thursday and Friday and just felt better personally taking it unpaid (you know sometimes I want a day off more then I want the money...) Two of my parents gave me the usual amount. I explained it was unpaid time, and I would apply the remaining balance to the following week, and they would just have to pay the remaining balance on Monday. On Monday one parent wrote a check that was more then the balance, and the other hasn't paid. I sat down and wrote out the math for both of them and gave them each a notice letting them know what their situation was and what would be owed.

The one who hasn't paid is CLUELESS. He honestly thought that he was current with payment - and this isn't the first time I've had to address payment issues with him! But my vent (sorry it took so long ) He manages to make me feel like I am somehow in the wrong, he never comes out and says anything, just questions it as though he is trying to see if I am sneaking something by him. The kid is awesome for the most part and he does pay on time and in full (usually) but OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
I have one that does that too.... my DCD works in a bank so he is always acting as if his accounting skills are better than mine but another provider I know who has been in this business for a long time taught me a handy little comeback that will stop this kind of passive-aggressive behavior.

When he asks, questions or comments about his billing, you say "I have a pretty good method of accounting but if you feel there has been an error, just bring me your receipts, cancelled checks and any other paperwork that shows where you may have over paid and I will submit them to my accountant to see where there is an error. She does charge $50 an hour and I'll have to have that paid upfront for her services but I am sure she'll be able to figure out where the discrepancy is."

They will usually stammer and stutter and then say "Oh, well I am sure you know what you are doing"

Works EVERYTIME.
Play Care 07:49 AM 12-05-2013
I have one that does that too.... my DCD works in a bank so he is always acting as if his accounting skills are better than mine but another provider I know who has been in this business for a long time taught me a handy little comeback that will stop this kind of passive-aggressive behavior.

When he asks, questions or comments about his billing, you say "I have a pretty good method of accounting but if you feel there has been an error, just bring me your receipts, cancelled checks and any other paperwork that shows where you may have over paid and I will submit them to my accountant to see where there is an error. She does charge $50 an hour and I'll have to have that paid upfront for her services but I am sure she'll be able to figure out where the discrepancy is."

They will usually stammer and stutter and then say "Oh, well I am sure you know what you are doing"

Works EVERYTIME.
I like that!

My other vent is that my 4.5 yo dcb had diarrhea this morning while standing to urinate. It pretty much was splattered all over the bathroom. Gag. Thank goodness my assistant is here this morning and could keep the kids to the normal schedule. I've been scrapping poo off my walls
BumbleBee 08:47 AM 12-05-2013
Better than you attitude

Not knowing when to stop & walk away

"The fire's almost out, quit throwing fuel on it!"
TwinKristi 11:07 AM 12-05-2013
I hate feeling annoyed with certain children. I have one who I was sort of devastated about losing at first that I'm now counting the days down! He has been a total terror lately. I had him and his sister yesterday and he was a total beast with her here. Jumping on my couch, hitting, throwing things... Took a short nap which threw off the whole day, waking up his sister and my DS as well which spiraled into what I was hoping was an early bedtime which turned into a late catnap and late bedtime. He is constantly yelling "You're mean!" "No!" and "MINE!" at the other kids, breaking rules he KNOWS, and it's seriously driving me crazy. He also has ruined 3 going on 4 sippy cups now. He bites the mouth piece and tears the non-spill valve and then they're ruined because they leak everywhere. I made a rule that he had to sit and drink his water next to me and put it up but now I've caught him stealing other kids' cups and biting them too! I told mom and she brought in a pack of take n toss cups that he BIT the lid off during meals and spilled everywhere. I went back to my Muchkin cheapies and he bit through another one!! So I got a 3rd thinking he's only here for this last month but guess what... within 2 weeks he bit through this one and almost bit through my son's as well! I finally gave him a cup without a lid and made him sit and drink what was in it and now he's stealing the other kids' cups again. I used to love this kid to death bit lately he is a TERROR!!! I just want to tell them to find care for him now but I just have to tough out the next 2 weeks. I am seriously at my wit's end and have never felt this way about a toddler and have 6 of my own boys.
daycarediva 03:09 PM 12-06-2013
I give my daycare kids a small piece of candy/treat/sticker as they leave IF they get ready and leave while behaving. It is CONDITIONAL to being good while here since soooo many were acting crazy in front of parents.

Today my dck not only stomped through the house with his boots on when he knows better and was yelling for me to come look at him with his shoes on in the house, Mom did nothing and I had to go get him. Then he took a good 10 minutes to leave, acting CRAZY and dcm was already late picking up. When he was dressed to leave, he opened my front door and rang the doorbell. I told him to NOT do it again (as DCM laughed) or he wouldn't be getting anything. He rang it again! Then he asked me if he could have his sticker, I said no. Dcm said "ask nicely" and he said "Can I have my sticker now, PUH LEASE!" and I said "NO. You did not listen." He LOST IT, started screaming and crying, kicking his mother who told him "I have gum in the car and we can go buy you a whole page of stickers."

NEED NEW CLIENTS!
nanglgrl 09:53 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I give my daycare kids a small piece of candy/treat/sticker as they leave IF they get ready and leave while behaving. It is CONDITIONAL to being good while here since soooo many were acting crazy in front of parents.

Today my dck not only stomped through the house with his boots on when he knows better and was yelling for me to come look at him with his shoes on in the house, Mom did nothing and I had to go get him. Then he took a good 10 minutes to leave, acting CRAZY and dcm was already late picking up. When he was dressed to leave, he opened my front door and rang the doorbell. I told him to NOT do it again (as DCM laughed) or he wouldn't be getting anything. He rang it again! Then he asked me if he could have his sticker, I said no. Dcm said "ask nicely" and he said "Can I have my sticker now, PUH LEASE!" and I said "NO. You did not listen." He LOST IT, started screaming and crying, kicking his mother who told him "I have gum in the car and we can go buy you a whole page of stickers."

NEED NEW CLIENTS!
Ugh! I had a family like this once. The children (especially the youngest) were terrors. I had to bite my tongue at pick up and drop off too many times and finally I couldn't do it anymore. The youngest was screaming because she didn't want to wear her shoes instead she wanted to wear her older sisters shoes. The mom told the older sister (only 4 years old) to take off her shoes so the 3 year old could wear them. This meant the 4 year old would have to walk to the car barefoot so she was crying. It wasn't the biggest piece of the bad parenting puzzle that made up this mom but it was the last one. I let it all loose. She didn't ask for my advice but I didn't care. I don't remember exactly what I said but I did say a lot, every single thing I had witnessed in the last few months was out in the open. I said it calmly and even compassionately but of course mom didn't want to hear it. I never saw them again but man was I happy!
JustTickedOffTonight 12:41 AM 12-13-2013
I'm registered, and logged out. Please bear with my need to vent. I've had a BAD BAD week. Short preface: I'm new to doing child care and only have a couple of clients. I'm in college. I'm a mom. My dogs are insane. There we go.

1. New client needs me from 6am to 6pm M-F. Monday morning, no show, no call. Emailed me only after I texted her to see if there was a schedule misunderstanding. Tuesday morning, no call no show. Oops, I didn't check my email. She sent me an email at 3am to tell me she wasn't bringing her child over. Wednesday, screw it. I didn't set an alarm. Haven't heard from her since. Look at her facebook only to find her complaining about not being able to find reliable, trustworthy daycare". HAHA seriously? (and yes, I always see if potential clients have or use facebook...because I am nosy like that. And I google their phone number. Never know what might pop up!)

2. I had a major final exam a few nights ago. I scheduled it at night, through ProctorU so I could take it at home, and when no kids would be at my place. Tell DH that if our son woke up, he needed to tend to him immediately. Son woke up halfway through my exam, I holler for hubby for 20 minutes (while my proctor is watching me on the webcam and can hear every sound I make), and she actually let me use my phone to call his cell to see if he would hear it in the bedroom). ended up having to shut my exam down and deal with it myself. Got a big fat F in the only class I care about. I just can't tell you how competitive grades are in my program, and all of my hard work this entire semester is just down the crapper.

3. I occasionally browse through CL to see if there are "childcare provider wanted" type ads. Tonight I am looking through there, and there are SO many listings for "preschools" and this one ad looked like it was typed up by a 5 year old! A 5 year old who can't spell! There was one advertising all of their medical training. For heaven's sake, if you are going to brag about your mad skillz, at least SPELL defibrillator correctly. My own son needs a preschool program soon, and I will absolutely not hand him over to a "teacher" that cannot differentiate "there" and "their". Oh, and what's with all of these 17 year old babysitters showing pics with their boobs hanging out all everywhere? Wth?! What is wrong with these girls???

4. My little evening guy came over tonight. He walks in the door and grabs a puzzle box off my shelf (right in front of his mom), took the lid off and started throwing the puzzle pieces everywhere. Was goofing off when I asked him if he'd like to pick out a yogurt for his snack, and pulled the bar off my fridge door (the one that holds the food on the shelf in the door). Can't fix it. So. Mad.

...I don't drink. But I am about to start!!! I am just so mentally tired this week. Final exams are done, it's FRIDAY and then I don't think I have any human clients until Monday.

Ok vent over. Probably
lovemykidstoo 05:41 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Ugh! I had a family like this once. The children (especially the youngest) were terrors. I had to bite my tongue at pick up and drop off too many times and finally I couldn't do it anymore. The youngest was screaming because she didn't want to wear her shoes instead she wanted to wear her older sisters shoes. The mom told the older sister (only 4 years old) to take off her shoes so the 3 year old could wear them. This meant the 4 year old would have to walk to the car barefoot so she was crying. It wasn't the biggest piece of the bad parenting puzzle that made up this mom but it was the last one. I let it all loose. She didn't ask for my advice but I didn't care. I don't remember exactly what I said but I did say a lot, every single thing I had witnessed in the last few months was out in the open. I said it calmly and even compassionately but of course mom didn't want to hear it. I never saw them again but man was I happy!
Oh boy, I have a couple of kids that totally act up when mom comes too. It's so irritating. I don't know why the moms allow it. My son was in daycare for 3 years and he never acted like that. He tried maybe once, but I was not having it. I have a dcb in particular who is 2. He has a brother that is 7 months old. The 2 yr old refuses to walk to the car and will stand in my entry way crying or he will make it into the garage and stand there and cry. Mom will carry the baby in the carseat and also the 2 yr old boy at the same time. Mind you, the 2 yr old weighs about a solid 30 =35 lbs. He's large. Not fat, just solid. So, I have no idea how she carries both. Now if it were me? I would let him stand in the garage and I would put the baby in the car and I would get in the drivers seat and wait for him. Bet he would do that 2 days and that's it. Oh, not to mention the times that he refuses to put his shoes/coat on and if she puts his coat on he takes it off. UGH! All the while screaming and crying.
Maria2013 12:41 PM 12-14-2013
this "Great Start" program they are forcing on everyone is really starting to get on my nerves!!!!
...now my school district is offering Free preschool part time and full time starting with the age of 2
...who can compete with "free"? This is gonna really effect daycares around here
Atroya 12:16 PM 12-16-2013
I was so furious this morning. I have a part time DCB that is in pre-school. The school has a policy that the pre-schoolers have to be walked all the way in to the classroom in the morning, they do not have anyone standing outside to shuttle them in as they get out of the cars. Luckily, at this time, I only have a 2 yr old that I need to worry about going in with us..the rest of my dcks are school aged. It is a PIA to have to carry/walk the 2yr old in to the school every morning.

Anyhow, this morning dcm shows up with the part timer with 2 huge packs of cupcakes for his birthday that need to be taken to school. I mention that it is going to be "fun" trying to get him, her, the cupcakes, and his backpack into the school. She says...oh, I never thought of that, laughs, and walks off. (Keep in mind that dcm is one of those that coddles him and never makes him carry his own stuff, backpack or otherwise). I ended up carrying the 2 yr old, his backpack, and the lid for the treat container, since it would not fit with the packs of cupcakes in it, and I made him carry the cupcakes. Other than being a PIA, everything gets taken care of. I come around the corner on my way home, and here comes dcm, just leaving for work. She stops, rolls the window down, laughs and asks how it went. Why the heck didn't she take him to school? I have seen her on multiple occasions going by me on her way to work after I have already dropped her son off at school. I would like to wig out on her and ask why she doesn't take him to school every day?

I am thinking of terming these people anyway...they pay late, have a different schedule every week, drop him off on days he is not scheduled to be here. On top of all that, the 2yr old's mom is pregnant and due in January. I will be getting the baby in March. Not sure how I am going to wrangle an infant and a 2 yr old into the school, so I am going to term them in March when the baby arrives. I think that because of the school's policy of walking the pre-schoolers in, I am going to make a new transportation policy...as in I will not provide preschool transport.
TwinKristi 02:06 PM 12-17-2013
I just saw on my Facebook that a girl I went to school with has her kids at a daycare in town. I don't mean to be judgey but her pics always look like her house is dirty, the play area is kinda dumpy and the kids always look all dirty too. She always posts weird personal things and about how sick she is and the problems in her life. I worked with her before and know her SIL and I think she's nice but a just doesn't seem like a stable person. I just don't understand how she's full and I'm nearly empty. I haven't even been getting calls! This other provider doesn't have an ad on CL, only a Facebook, Yelp, and our local R&R. How is she full and I'm empty?!?! I haven't had interviews with these people so it's not like they chose her over me or something, but I just feel like I'm missing something here.
Blackcat31 02:13 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I just saw on my Facebook that a girl I went to school with has her kids at a daycare in town. I don't mean to be judgey but her pics always look like her house is dirty, the play area is kinda dumpy and the kids always look all dirty too. She always posts weird personal things and about how sick she is and the problems in her life. I worked with her before and know her SIL and I think she's nice but a just doesn't seem like a stable person. I just don't understand how she's full and I'm nearly empty. I haven't even been getting calls! This other provider doesn't have an ad on CL, only a Facebook, Yelp, and our local R&R. How is she full and I'm empty?!?! I haven't had interviews with these people so it's not like they chose her over me or something, but I just feel like I'm missing something here.
Parents are all looking for something different.

Some look for quality
Some look for cheap
Some look for strict illness policies
Some look for a provider who takes sick kids
Some look for providers who let them pay late, arrive late and don't make their kids take a nap.

Sometimes it's the person and not the program, the house or the curriculum used.... sometimes a person is not the cleanest, fanciest, most educated or the cheapest....sometimes the personality of the provider is all it takes to make that connection between parent and provider.

THAT (the connection/relationship) is THE most important aspect of whether or not a client signs on or not IMHO.
MarinaVanessa 02:32 PM 12-20-2013
So as a gift for my MIL we do grandkid pics every year to update her wall at home. So my SIL comes over yesterday (DH's brother's wife) at about 5pm because she saw that my other SIL (DH's sister) came to my house to pick her son up (I watch him FT). So anyway, she comes over, brings her 2 kids (they live next door) and her, my DH's sister and my DH all sit in the living room/playroom while I'm still doing daycare to look through and pick out pictures for my MIL.

Her 7yo DS immediately begins to play very loudly and starts playing "guns" and "killing games". I have to remind him at least four times that at my house that isn't allowed while I have daycare kids. He then proceeds to wrestle with my 9yo DD, they both get in trouble and in front of SIL I have to tell him "you know the rules. I don't want to have to send you home". She says nothing. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

While this is happening her 1yo DD is climbing on, pulling on, scratching on, pulling on DCKs faces and hair and finally BITING! None of the DCKs got bit but a few got pushed and my so. And nephew (the one I watch) both got bit. I was breast feeding when she started to wallop on a 1yo DCB and then proceeded to pull on his face and hair all the while I'm saying OUT LOUD "****** no. No pull. No hit. ****** no HIT!" SIL was no help until I had to call her name and tell her "****** is hitting and scratching him". Then my other SIL takes DCB and sits him on the couch for protection all while my neice runs wild and bites my nephew then my son. Great. DCB did nothing wrong and he gets to be punished by sitting out while she's allowed to go unsupervised running wild terrorizing the other kids.

Why is it that FAMILY always seems to be the most inconsiderate ones? She lives next door for crying out loud. They could have gone to her house to do this or at least she could have controlled her children. okay, rant over.
daycarediva 10:31 AM 12-23-2013
I have a dcg who is really struggling right now. 3.5 years old. LOTS going on at home, I had to have her shadow me several weeks ago due to aggression towards others. Now that's done and it's towards herself.

At breakfast she spilled milk, she was upset about it and started stabbing herself in the hand with the fork (thankfully those plastic kid ones so it didn't do any lasting damage)

she was mad about the placement of her nap mat, and instead of moving it (like she normally would) she lost it and started banging her head on the floor HARD over and over again! I picked her up to stop that and held her for a bit. As soon as she calmed down she said "I not hitting my friends! No tell my Mommy!"

The fork stabbing was enough to make my other dcg cry out (I was cleaning up the milk off the floor) "HELP! Miss. ****! STOP IT DCG!"
The head banging was enough that my 14yo dd heard it from the other room and came RUNNING into the room to see what was going on, because of course DCG is screaming at the top of her lungs as she is doing it. Her forehead is all red and puffy.

I did tell dcg that it isn't ok to hurt herself either. Hurting feels bad. If she wants to be angry, she can hit the pillows, or the couch, or color a mean picture.

Back to her shadowing me. *sigh*
Lil'DinoEggs 09:35 PM 12-29-2013
what is worse than a child who was held for every minute including nights for two weeks......one that is that and jetlagged. he also stopped holding his bottle and appears to be rejecting it
Maria2013 06:07 AM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Ugh! The youngest was screaming because she didn't want to wear her shoes instead she wanted to wear her older sisters shoes. The mom told the older sister (only 4 years old) to take off her shoes so the 3 year old could wear them. This meant the 4 year old would have to walk to the car barefoot so she was crying. !
I wouldn't have been able to bite my tongue on this one either, I'm glad you let her have it
Cradle2crayons 09:13 AM 12-31-2013
I have a dcg who is really struggling right now. 3.5 years old. LOTS going on at home, I had to have her shadow me several weeks ago due to aggression towards others. Now that's done and it's towards herself.

At breakfast she spilled milk, she was upset about it and started stabbing herself in the hand with the fork (thankfully those plastic kid ones so it didn't do any lasting damage)

she was mad about the placement of her nap mat, and instead of moving it (like she normally would) she lost it and started banging her head on the floor HARD over and over again! I picked her up to stop that and held her for a bit. As soon as she calmed down she said "I not hitting my friends! No tell my Mommy!"

The fork stabbing was enough to make my other dcg cry out (I was cleaning up the milk off the floor) "HELP! Miss. ****! STOP IT DCG!"
The head banging was enough that my 14yo dd heard it from the other room and came RUNNING into the room to see what was going on, because of course DCG is screaming at the top of her lungs as she is doing it. Her forehead is all red and puffy.

I did tell dcg that it isn't ok to hurt herself either. Hurting feels bad. If she wants to be angry, she can hit the pillows, or the couch, or color a mean picture.

This makes me so sad. When a child that age starts harming themselves it's certainly cause for alarm...
SilverSabre25 09:17 AM 12-31-2013

oh no! Poor little love! Sounds like she needs some serious help--that is NOT normal behavior
daycarediva 12:45 PM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
oh no! Poor little love! Sounds like she needs some serious help--that is NOT normal behavior
Yes, Mom and I both know and it's being handled appropriately. She is seeing a child psychologist. The issues are from her father (past physical abuse) and the court ordered her to visit him. It was supervised, but obviously brought up a LOT of things for my little doll. She is such a jewel, and one of the sweetest, kindest, most loving child I have ever met when Dad is out of the picture so I am dealing with it and hoping for improvement.
HOHDirector 01:23 PM 12-31-2013
First, I had ungrateful parents who gave me attitude because I changed the seating in our van. Mind you I pick up their children in the morning so they dont have to walk in cold! I really felt like turning around and telling her she could just walk herself!

Then we have a 2 yr old who does the "wet noodle" with his body and had a meltdown in my lap. (He does this often when he doesnt get his way) Except, he went from "wet noodle" to springing into the air and nailed my chin. I wanted to screaM!
BumbleBee 05:18 AM 01-02-2014
Dear dcm,

If you're going to drop your kids off at 9am instead of 8am, how about using the cell phone that's affixed to your ear & giving me a call. Especially when you know yours are the only 2 in attendance today.

Thanks,
Your sleepy daycare provider
MotherNature 06:43 AM 01-02-2014
Ugh-just had a family quit. It was professional and all, but they didn't like that I had arranged my vacation days & holiday pay so that I was able to get nearly 3 weeks. Sigh. I gave them a month's notice & they even said we know we're not getting our deposit back...We'll be by later for our tax paper & to pay for this week's holiday pay. They were a week short. Sucks b/c even though they were my early family, the baby was generally friendly and was sweet.
Unregistered 01:31 PM 01-02-2014
Man, that is the most dumb reason to leave your daycare. Don't people know children get attached too. Don't people respect others need for vacation. Keep on going is all I can say and I hope you get an even better family in their place.
MotherNature 06:38 PM 01-02-2014
Thanks! Yeah, I'll miss her. I was her only non-family caregiver. I've had her since 6 weeks & she's 7 mos now & lights up when she sees me every morning. The cutest thing.
Play Care 07:19 AM 01-03-2014
Everyone came in late today and they kept hounding me for breakfast. We haven't done an AM snack since summer, but I caved and gave them some banana. I couldn't take the whining. There was no reason for parents to not give their kids breakfast today!
SilverSabre25 08:11 AM 01-03-2014
I really, really, really need to brave the cold to go get my inside climber out of the storage shed. Along with the mini trampoline (really just for *my own* kids outside of daycare hours) and the foam floor pieces.

9.5 month old is climbing everything. 19 month old is climbing everything. 2.5 year old is just insane from lack of outdoor playtime.

The 19 month old's dirty look he gives me when I tell him not to climb on the chair (K....no climb. SIT.) is getting old fast. the 9.5 month old is determined to go UP but hasn't learned DOWN yet. And did I mention that my 2.5 year old son is insane?

I just checked the forecast for next week. Single digit highs Monday and Tuesday. And today. Wind chill advisories. We're soooo not going out.
melilley 12:38 PM 01-03-2014
My 10 yo dd is driving me nuts today! Just had to get that out.
Play Care 10:54 AM 01-06-2014
My 4 yo DCG is back after being home for Christmas break. It's nap time and the last half hour has been her banging around, chatting to herself, sighing loudly, etc. I'm waiting for the "I'm bored" tears to start (which magically disappear as soon as she thinks she's getting up) I hope she adjusts back quickly cause having to go in ever five minutes to give the stink eye is getting old.
Happily_wed 07:58 AM 01-07-2014
Nothing to do with daycare but we got up to the temp of -14 and wind chill of -30. AND despite all of our efforts all the water is frozen. Not in the house apparently but the lines outside(the undergrounds lines we assume). We are the last house on the city water so it could be frozen and or busted anywhere and be affecting us. UGH! Why couldn't the power have gone out instead. I have a generator for that!
KDC 09:16 AM 01-07-2014
VENT...

1. It's -12 degrees right now with wind chill warnings of -35. Why does DCB come with an extremely non-stop gross runny nose? He has major attitude and snotty sleeves, no hat, no gloves & socks from the 1980s with no elastic to speak of, so they're guaranteed to fall off, however insist it's too cold for him to be without socks. Everything is closed (schools, daycare's in surrounding area), but it's pretty much a guarantee this kid will be here, and not leave unless it's 5 seconds till closing.

2. I appreciate you wrapping up DB#2 is multiple blankets, boots, mittens, hats, scarves!! Makes sense since it's ridiculously cold outside. Good Job, DCP. However, my gripe. take the stuff with you when you leave!! I do NOT need 2 extra large blankets, your sunglasses, 2 extra winter hats. I already have 3 children and a dog, and do not need any extra clutter in my hallway.

3. DCP with the infant. Newsflash, it snowed and your boots are covered with snow. I have a LARGE carpet for when you enter so you have plenty of space to step without walking clear across the entryway carpet, into my living room (with tan carpet) with your boots on to place your little ones carrier to get him out. I do NOT enjoy the dirty puddles your boots leave and I find it rude! I've asked you to stay in the designated area once before and now it's just irritating that you've completely IGNORED me? I now put your carrier in the entryway and try my best to booby trap my living room in hopes you'll further get the hint. I think you're great, your child is great, but you're snow etiquette quite frankly sucks.
mia 10:02 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Springdaze:
I cant stand it when a child gets sick and the parents ask "has anyone else been sick?" I even had a dad get in a 2 yos face and say "your the one who got my kids sick!"
you and me both..... I have gone through this many times (not the dad thing thou - he would be asked to leave and not return) ....

I've had this client for 2 1/2 yrs.... have had no issues with any one before... this past Sept they put the oldest DCc in to a preschool for two times a week, I still have their youngest DCc, the first week after he started there and school started he came down with a cold... DCM asked me if anyone else was sick at the time there was not, a few days later there was another DCc that ended up sick.... the sickness went through like made ( Sept - Dec ) with colds, flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, 1/2 way through all this the same mom stated that, she hoped it was not going to be like last year where there was a lot of colds going around.... I replied, oh I hope not... So of course I did a lot more disinfecting of toys, and equipment in the daycare. After about a month into the sickness and cleaning... mom called and said she did not like how I was cleaning and that the product / supplies I used was not helping it was only making everyone sicker.... I told her I fallow the Daycare Protocol in cleaning.... and that I had been cleaning this way for over 20 years... but I would keep an open mind to any suggestion she may have... she then stated that she had none and did not know what to tell me... I continued to clean and disinfect all the daycare equipment. In the mean while she tells me that the preschool had another flu breakout going around ( here I am finally getting rid off all the illness errrr ). Two weeks went by then I received a e-mail from this mom again stating that they could not have their children exposed to the cleaning smells, and that the preschool her son goes to uses soap and water, bleach and water and when a outbreak occurs then they use a stronger chemical for that time frame. ( the exact same way I clean ) she failed to mention what the other chemical was that they use... I responded again stating that I have cleaned this way for over 20 years and have never had any issues or complaints, and that I fallow the exact daycare procedure on cleaning... I have not heard from her on this subject since.... I was clear of all illness over the Holidays... the children where back after being off for a few days to return to me sick with colds..... all 3 other DCc where fine until yesterday,

What do you all use to clean and disinfect your daycare equipment?????

Sorry for the rant....
SilverSabre25 07:54 AM 01-10-2014
This child has almost not stopped crying since he got here 3 hours ago. He's taking "sensitive" to a whole 'nother level today. I'm about to put him down for a nap if he doesn't cut it out.
jgcp 11:17 AM 01-10-2014
So with the holidays the schedule was a bit crazy. I have one FAM of 2 kids has only been here once in the last 3 weeks. DCB had tonsels out. My hubby says I should drop them for kids on wait list. I say wait to see what next week brings. I'm new to this and don't really know what to do and there is nothing in my contract for this( they pay for the week on Mon) so I made $45 from them in the last 3 weeks Ouch! Help need thoughts\suggestions
Unregistered 11:37 AM 01-10-2014
TGIF.

The babies napped at 12:30, which is normal. One woke up at 1:15 of course waking the other - Not normal. One of the dck downstairs napping wasn't asleep yet... and we will see if she even sleeps now.

Of course both babies were ready for snack even though they didn't have their normal 2 hour nap. Which means barely any cleaning is getting done today...Boo.
Naptime yet? 12:03 PM 01-10-2014
Dear Parents,

When you come to pick up & your child is eating, please don't say, " It's ok, I'll wait for them to finish before we leave". 99.9% of the time your child is finished when they hear your voice & it's agonizing for me to pretend your child would rather stay & eat a banana then go home. And then when I offer to put the snack in a Baggie for the car so you will leave, don't say, "it's ok, we'll eat when we get home". I will silently curse you out.

Thank you.
pandamom 09:51 AM 01-13-2014
OMG- I'm sooo tired today. I work in a NAEYC center and we just recently transitioned two children with Autism within 2 weeks of each other. Today was the second ones first day in our class. I'm exhausted- I couldn't do anything from the lesson plan because I spent all afternoon trying to work with them and keeping the peace with the rest of my kids.

To top it off, one of their IEP states that they can only be in a room with 9 other children. Our ratio is a room of 14 children with 2 caregivers (2 year old room). Ugh....have to talk to management about that one.

ETA: I'm just venting that management transitioned two special needs children so close together. I just feel ill-equipped
Naptime yet? 07:44 AM 01-14-2014
Dear Parents:

Please, because your child had a "rough night" , let them sleep in & bring them to daycare late (on your day off no less) under the pretense of "sparing me a cranky child" because you know I'd much rather your child be pleasant for one hour than take a nap for two (sarcasm intended). What was that comment you made to me, dcp, about how important routine was to you?

Thank you.
blandino 08:03 PM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
Dear Parents:

Please, because your child had a "rough night" , let them sleep in & bring them to daycare late (on your day off no less) under the pretense of "sparing me a cranky child" because you know I'd much rather your child be pleasant for one hour than take a nap for two (sarcasm intended). What was that comment you made to me, dcp, about how important routine was to you?

Thank you.
I think you have my DCG.

This happens all the time. Except this DCG is crabby even when she sleeps. And sometimes DCD will say "We'll, you know what she is like when she wakes up early, I didn't want to do that to you". Yes, I am aware because you used to bring her every day at 7 in the dot.

Now he lets her sleep in, she is still whiney, and then she doesn't nap and is even crankier in the afternoon.
LadyPearl 09:49 AM 01-22-2014
I have a family who continuously brings their children without mittens. The 2 year old fights and refuses to wear them and I have subtly mentioned that it's cold out. I force a larger pair on the little one when I have to and today they come with everything. BUT, it's -30 outside (without the windchill) and the kid's pants have a huge hole in the leg. HELLO??!!!
KidGrind 12:00 PM 01-22-2014
No drop offs today due to weather. I didn’t close. I am so bored.
jgcp 08:42 AM 01-23-2014
I have DCP thats last day is tomorrow THANK THE LORD!!!! I cannot stand this iresponsable mother!! She has been so inconsistant and i should have termed her earlier but i was kinda desperate but these last few weeks shes just taken advantage of me!! She didnt pay tue at drop off and said she would bring me a check at pickup but her mom picked them up early???? and then they didnt show today so i text her and she text back " oh i text you last night you didnt get it?" No i didnt cause you prob never sent one geez still havnt been paid and now i just wanna tell her dont bother coming last day sounds like you have someone else to watch them. Thing is i could have made a long over due dr appt today AND i have ppl waiting for this spot but wanted to just finish it out. Now i just feel stupid for letting her do this for so long just cause i needed the money! NEVER EVER AGAIN ive learned my lesson!!! If i dont have them come tomorrow she prob wont pay me tho uggg! i have a looonnnggg text ready to send but will wait till she pays haha its not nice but i dont care!
Play Care 03:07 AM 01-27-2014
My husband and I had said that we would NOT be going to Florida this year over February break, as we want to take our kids to Washington DC this summer. I have not planned on taking any significant time off over the break.

Now my husband has decided he is sick of winter and wants to go. Of course he's looking over February Break. I told him in no uncertain terms that he left it too late, and I can't take a week off with this little notice. My contract says I'll give at least a month, but for a week off I usually give much more.
He has said I only have three kids scheduled over the break, so it's not a big deal. True, but the one family is a big chunk of my income (two kids and one on the way) They are very understanding of time off, but in this they would have a reason to be upset.
I did say if he wants to go, I could do a long weekend, but he needs to plan something now, so I can let parents know.

I'm annoyed because if I was the one making these plans, he would be having a fit that I was behaving "unprofessionally," but because it's something he wants to do, that makes it okay.
SilverSabre25 10:42 AM 01-28-2014
Went outside with 6, 5, and 2 to try and see if bubbles would freeze. We explained and talked about it first before going out. Six got it, she was blowing them where we could watch them and with lots of room for them to float around. 2 just ran around (lol) "domp no! domp no!" (stomp snow!). And 5 hovered right over the bubble solution to blow and ever time one floated past him he kicked it. Sigh.
MotherNature 07:08 AM 01-29-2014
My PT DCG 21 mos..has not been napping well here at all. Mom lays with her at home. I told her I couldn't do that here. I try rubbing her hair & back, but last week she was only here 2 days instead of her usual 3 & it took 30mins one day & 40 the next. I'm sitting on the floor, pregnant, holding a 4 month old trying to get her to sleep. Mom told me they'd try something last week & weekend. Asked Dad at drop-off if they tried any new naptime techniques. He says, no-Mom just laid with her as always b/c that works. Then says, "We'll figure something out..." Um, that's what last week was supposed to be about! Getting to where I'm glad she'll be gone in April. She's become a whiny mess. Parents don't want her to 'do anything she doesn't want to do'(I don't force kids to do things, but for Pete's sake, just put her winter coat on her instead of reasoning with her in my doorway!)... They don't want her to ever hear no..etc.
Josiegirl 10:53 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
No drop offs today due to weather. I didn’t close. I am so bored.
PLEASE let me be able to vent about that. Just one day.
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23  ... Last
Reply Up