Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have Any Of You Actually Gotten Bonuses For Christmas?
sahm2three 09:10 PM 12-21-2011
I couldn't imagine one of the parents actually giving money. Last year I got 1 gift for Christmas. This year so far I have received 2 gifts. I always buy for the kids, and the kids always make a special craft and home made cookies (some by me, some by the kids). So I was just curious if any of you actually receive cash bonuses.
Lucy 09:14 PM 12-21-2011
No. Never have.
sharlan 09:24 PM 12-21-2011
Not a cash bonus. I got a goody basket with candy and movie tickets from one and a tea pot with a poinsettia from the other. It was a bonus in that I didn't expect a gift from either one.
littlemissmuffet 09:26 PM 12-21-2011
I have a few times, between $60 - $100. The majority of my parents give gifts to my hubs and I for xmas and Thanksgiving... gift cards, gift baskets, baked goodies from home, toys for the daycare, etc.
melskids 02:56 AM 12-22-2011
I have in the past. Anywhere from $50 - $150.

I actually prefer well thought out gifts to cash. I know, shocking.

But to me, it makes me feel like they really care about me and what I like. Nothing like opening a gift of funky socks,(my favorite!) handmade crafts, homemade food and goodies, poems about being a childcare provider, or a handwritten note of sincere thanks.
Meyou 04:02 AM 12-22-2011
I usually get a mix of cash, restaurant GC's, movie GC's, Old Navy GC's and small personal gifts. My parents treat me well.
PitterPatter 04:27 AM 12-22-2011
Yeah if you count a $2 tip because DCM didn't have change. She told me "oh Merry Christmas just keep it." Techinically she owed me $25 in back fees you don't know how hard it was to keep my mouth shut!

I have gotten a few gifts from parents nothing great usually regifting items or pencils etc but I was happy, it's the thought that counts. Some have given my son a gift after they see what their child takes home at Christmas. It's all good I do it for the kids.
Kaddidle Care 04:56 AM 12-22-2011
It's always interesting to see who thinks to give a gift/card/anything.

We had one parent give us all $20.00 Target gift cards one year. Holy Smokes! That was sooooo generous! Her daughter is an absolute doll too. She's been with us several years and I don't think she's ever had a time out for anything.

And then there's the children that are a real struggle to deal with every day - their parents don't even say Merry Christmas! You gotta laugh.

The one that really burned me was the boy I watched every day after school for 4 months, for FREE. Not even a Thank you or a Christmas Card! I termed in November and they asked me to please continue through December so that they could find replacement care so I did. I'm not a total ogre but I don't think too much of them right now.
mismatchedsocks 04:56 AM 12-22-2011
Never got money. But get gifts for xmas, providers day, and my birthday from some of them.
Heidi 06:11 AM 12-22-2011
I used to have a family (20 years ago) where dad was a professional poker player. I still see him on TV sometimes. He's a big shot now.

They'd fly out to Vegas often, and shortly before Christmas, they were gone for a two weeks. When he got back, he wanted to know if he still had to pay. I said, of course. It's in your contract. He questioned it again, and I stood firm.

So, then, he says "well, ok, if that's what you think is right". He pulls out his money clip (yeah, really), hands me the money, then pulls of two more 100's. "K and I wanted you to have a Christmas Bonus" ...

???? He was quite a character!
cheerfuldom 06:11 AM 12-22-2011
I got three different families give $100 bonuses this year......
SilverSabre25 07:04 AM 12-22-2011
I got one gift last year...I think only one. Another might have been rolled into their weekly pay and I don't remember. But I'm pretty sure it was only one.

Not expecting anything this year. I never expect anything. I'm making nice stuff for the kids and the parents, and they will all get some of the cookies I've been baking, but I don't expect anything in return.

Except maybe their continued business
Meeko 08:04 AM 12-22-2011
I had one mom a few years ago who insisted on an extra week's pay as a bonus for each of the 5 years her daughter was here.

Then this year, I have a mom who brought me a nice lunch, then $100 bonus and a bag with three gifts in it is under my tree! Of course that is offset by plenty of parents who don't even say thanks........!
momma2girls 08:06 AM 12-22-2011
I have never received a bonus or cash for XMas. I have received gifts, and gift cards. I really, really appreciate each and every one of them!!
MarinaVanessa 08:07 AM 12-22-2011
I've never gotten a "cash" bonus of any kind and only a few gifts from my families even though I give something small to all of the DC kids every year for birthdays and Christmas but it doesn't really bother me.

In fact I had a drop-in DCB last Sunday so that his parents could go out for their anniversary and DCD gave me an extra $10. I didn't count it right away so when I did the possibility that it might be a bonus or a tip came to mind but I wanted to make sure since they hadn't said anything. The next day when DCM called about availability I asked her about it. Turns out it was a mistake so she had me apply it towards her days for this week . So much for wishful thinking, but it doesn't bother me. I don't expect it so I'm sure that if it ever does happen I'll be extra excited .
DCMom 08:48 AM 12-22-2011
I've never gotten cash ~gift cards and certificates, but never cash.
emmajo 10:02 AM 12-22-2011
A check this a.m. had a large extra amount added on from one family - and the dad told me that after the holidays they'll talk about my rates for next year. They want to give me a raise. They already pay way over my actual rate because they keep giving me raises. Love the whole family!

Not a bonus, but my almost 5 yr old dcb was so excited to give me his gifts that he brought them early and showed everyone what he'd given me - windchimes, and a rock from his driveway that he painted! This a.m. he brought a bag of cookies he'd made with his mom and said they were only for me, I should not share even with him. His delight in the giving is so beautiful!
Heidi 10:08 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by emmajo:
A check this a.m. had a large extra amount added on from one family - and the dad told me that after the holidays they'll talk about my rates for next year. They want to give me a raise. They already pay way over my actual rate because they keep giving me raises. Love the whole family!

Not a bonus, but my almost 5 yr old dcb was so excited to give me his gifts that he brought them early and showed everyone what he'd given me - windchimes, and a rock from his driveway that he painted! This a.m. he brought a bag of cookies he'd made with his mom and said they were only for me, I should not share even with him. His delight in the giving is so beautiful!
how different children are! You and his family are blessed!

My dcb, 4 1/2, decided HE needed to open my present for me, and give me each thing individually. When his mother protested, he had a fit. Same kid who didn't want to make his gift for Mom AND Dad, just for Dad. Yeah, that's gonna happen on my watch...she gave you life...bub
VioletCupcake 10:12 AM 12-22-2011
Just got a gift card to a great local restaurant! And an adorable handmade ornament!
Is'nt it funny how the gifts and the Thankyous and all of the warm holiday wishes come from the families with the easiest and sweetest children
wdmmom 10:14 AM 12-22-2011
Yep. One family always gives me a check for $50 every Christmas. 3 of my families have given gifts so far. $50 gift card to the movie theater, $40 gift card to Target and $25 gift card to Walmart.
Crystal 10:14 AM 12-22-2011
Yes. I won't go into detail, but my parents are VERY generous.
Sugar Magnolia 10:15 AM 12-22-2011
I am shocked to hear some of you get no cash, but even more shocked to hear some get nothing at all! I've gotten 150 cash and 150 in gift certificates. One was a visa gift card though, so good as cash. Last year I raked in $600, but many families are struggling this year so I'm thrilled to get anything.
newtodaycare22 10:36 AM 12-22-2011
I've never got a cash bonus but 4 of my 5 families gave generously this year. I got a $50 gift card from one, $75 from another, $25 from another, and a nice necklace. I also received random Xmas decorations, popcorn treats, and flowers over the past 2 weeks. I'm grateful but, truly, my favorite part is reading the card that says, "Thanks for everything you do."
boysx5 10:39 AM 12-22-2011
I got a coach purse from one of my families I am thrilled would never buy one for myself
Crazy8 10:45 AM 12-22-2011
YES - I have gotten cash bonuses as well as very generous gift cards for Christmas!! I have always had some great generous families. Of course I've also gotten the regifted lotions/soaps/candles at times, but those don't bother me either. I would never complain about ANY gift even if its not something I would use!
Crazy8 10:46 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by boysx5:
I got a coach purse from one of my families I am thrilled would never buy one for myself
I got a coach gift card for $100 from one of my families yesterday.... I can't wait to hit the coach outlet but I am going to wait till like Jan/Feb when they are all restocked!!
Sunchimes 11:00 AM 12-22-2011
I'm thinking that maybe it isn't all about good family or bad family with the cash and gift cards. I live in a small town in a rural area. The biggest employer is either the school or Walmart. People have just learned to think small. You have to do that to make it. There, I've made myself feel better. I'm sure that if I lived in a city, it would be different.
WImom 11:10 AM 12-22-2011
I got gifts from 3 of my families. Gift cards and candles and one set of siblings made me a cute painted box. I thought that was really thoughful. I also got a nice card of thanks from one of the families.

I have one family that did nothing last year and not again this year. Oh well. I'm sure they will enjoy the gift their DD made for them and the gift I got their DD. I'd like even just a nice card. Oh well.
daycare 11:51 AM 12-22-2011
I got lots of cute little gifts this year and one family gave me $250.00 cash gift. they made me promise not to spend it on DC or the DCK.... I will say that it will be hard to keep it for myself...... But I was very happy
Former Teacher 12:38 PM 12-22-2011
I am a nanny to a wonderful family. This year I got a $100 Visa gift card
MarinaVanessa 01:04 PM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't expect it so I'm sure that if it ever does happen I'll be extra excited .
I quoted myself here because after I posted this DCF that I was talking about in my comment came to pick up DCB and paid me. I made sure to count it right away and there was $5 too much and I told them. They said they knew and to keep it and that they knew it was a small amount but that wanted me to know that they appreciated me and that it was mine to keep.

It was only $5 more but just the though that they thought to give me a little something was awesome. I WAS extra excited .
JaydensMommy 01:26 PM 12-22-2011
This is my first Christmas doing daycare. I didn't expect anything but I received one restaurant GC, a gift basket with deserts, a mason jar with brownie mix, a goodie bag w/ a shirt and other little things. And there was two parents that did not bring a gift, not that I mind. But I appreciate do EVERYTHING, it is the thought that counts, even if it's just a handwritten note.
beachgrl 01:39 PM 12-22-2011
I have gotten various gifts over the years as a teacher, my first year was the best..I had a mom a couple years ago who did slot for me and my ta as well as our class.

This being my first year doing this, I wasn't expecting anything..well one of my dck mom comes to the door w her child holding a Christmasy basket with goodies in it: cookies, homemade candy, chex mix, popcorn, and an ornament that I let the lilttle girl put on the tree, it was very nice way to start the day!
kendallina 01:54 PM 12-22-2011
I got one cash gift ($40) and several gift cards, some wine and a few ornaments this year. I've never received one week's worth of pay, but I think that's too much to expect (I'm not saying that you're expecting that). If my daughter went to a daycare provider I wouldn't give one week's pay. I'd probably give a small gift card and maybe a handmade ornament or something along those lines.
kendallina 01:56 PM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm thinking that maybe it isn't all about good family or bad family with the cash and gift cards. I live in a small town in a rural area. The biggest employer is either the school or Walmart. People have just learned to think small. You have to do that to make it. There, I've made myself feel better. I'm sure that if I lived in a city, it would be different.
Honestly, too, I think some people just don't even think about getting their dcp a gift. I noticed that every gift I received this year was from a family where at least one parent is a teacher. I never would have thought about it before being a provider myself, but just because I am not big on gifts anyways.
VTMom 02:54 PM 12-22-2011
DCB came in this afternoon excited to give me a gift! As I'm opening it, he says "it's a piece of bread"! True...it was a loaf of Italian bread, but it was on a beautiful handcrafted bread board! I'm totally psyched and feeling the love!
spud912 05:19 PM 12-22-2011
I just got a $100 bonus from the best dcm you could imagine. I my parents!
Zoe 05:23 PM 12-22-2011
I handed out my dck's Christmas presents on Monday so that I wouldn't forget. I don't know if that gave my one dcf time to get something for me too or if they really honestly wanted to give me a gift this year (they've been with me for over a year now and are so wonderful). Well yesterday they came in and the child was holding a small box for me. Inside was a $50 Walmart gift card! Score! It's where I grocery shop so I was pretty excited.

It felt nice to be appreciated. None of my other families gave me a bonus or anything, but they did say Merry Christmas and that's enough for me. I understand how hard it is right now and I wasn't expecting anything anyway. What the one dcf gave me was craazy generous and I don't think will ever become the norm.
Zoe 05:29 PM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by boysx5:
Seriously?!? That's amazing! Wow, send that family my way will ya?!
mema 05:36 PM 12-22-2011
I received 2 GC for restaurants (yay, no cooking for me!), 2 really cute christmas kitchen towels along with 1 weeks pay (from my drop in who was never here more than 2 days a week or 5 times in a month!), a coffee mug with some homemade mocha (mmmmmm), and some i-tunes cards! Each and everyone one of them also sent a card that made me tear up when I read them
But the best yet was the hug from my 3 yr old that has been having a rough time-and a big I love to go with it. She may frustrate me sometimes, but dang is she cuuuuute
Meyou 02:40 AM 12-23-2011
Ok, I've already posted to this thread but I had to post that I was spoiled rotten yesterday. Almost all my families gave me a week's pay bonus this year. I don't know if they discussed it or what! Plus the cards they all gave me made me cry. Those words of thanks make every hard day more than worth it.
Maddy'sMommy 04:38 AM 12-23-2011
I got a mani/pedi gift certificate from one of my boys, and a nice hand cream set from another family. I was super happy with both, my hands take a beating during the day, it will be nice to pretty them up!
AfterSchoolMom 05:32 AM 12-23-2011
Never even so much as a card in 4 years.
e.j. 11:20 AM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yes. I won't go into detail, but my parents are VERY generous.
Same here.
HOMEHELPERS2010 11:33 AM 12-23-2011
I have felt very blessed that this is my 1st year and have received so many nice gifts from my chldren/parents. I was not expecting all of this but I guess daycare providers are looked at just as teacher's are. So sweet! Merry Chrstmas to all!

Amanda
Daycare Diva 12:42 PM 12-23-2011
One of my parents gave me different types of art supplies (paint, fingerprint, chalk, and playdoh) they also gave me a card and 100.00 and told me they loved me. It was a great surprise at 7:30 in the morning. .
beachgrl 06:59 PM 12-23-2011
My other family brought a gift bag at pick up with a box of russel stover chocolates in it, I soo didn't expect gifts from either of my families but was nicely surprised that they did and made me feel good even though they have only been with me a few months.
Sunchimes 07:42 PM 12-23-2011
One family gave me a bottle of perfume. I had complimented her on her perfume months ago. I guess she made a mental note. I was thrilled!
SilverSabre25 10:20 AM 12-24-2011
$50 visa gift card and a bag of Hershey's Kisses from my favorite family. So excited! I have almost all of my gifts left to wrap......those kisses are about to come in handy!
Breezy 01:41 PM 12-24-2011
Not a thing!
beachgrl 08:52 PM 12-24-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
My other family brought a gift bag at pick up with a box of russel stover chocolates in it, I soo didn't expect gifts from either of my families but was nicely surprised that they did and made me feel good even though they have only been with me a few months.
Just noticed last night that there was Also a restaraunt gift card for my choice of several different rest at the bottom of the bag my chocolates came in!! So didn't expect that and could have inadvertadely given it to someone else had I reused the bag for a gift haha..
Lucy 11:15 PM 12-24-2011
I don't want to sound like I expect gifts, but they do make a statement. I have one family who brought us a gingerbread house kit as a gift for all the kids to make. I thought that WAS their gift, and I was very pleased with it, but on the last day before vacation, she also brought me and my husband a gift bag that we opened tonight (Christmas Eve). It had 2 big coffee mugs and plates, an expensive kind of cocoa, some peppermint schnapps, a hot buttered rum mix, and a carmel flavoring for mixed drinks. Soooo nice!! I love the big mugs. They are big enough to almost be a cereal bowl. If you ever watch Friends, they sometimes drink out of them in the coffee house.

Anyway, another family ordered pizza to be delivered on that last day for me and the dc kids, and another family gave my husband & me a gift bag with m&m's and a Christmasy bowl to put them in. I was pleased with both of these gifts also.

The last family gave nothing. They are not going to be here next week, and I forgot to collect her payment before she left. I texted 10 min later and said "oops, forgot to get a check from you. Do you want to swing by on your way home from work tomorrow?" (she was working Friday, but I wasn't) She texted back "For next week? We're not coming. Do we still have to pay?" I explained yes, it's in the contract. (They come 4 days/week - 2 kids - 3 hours) So she agrees to come by after work, and never shows up. At 6pm, (she gets off at 4:00), I texted and asked if she forgot. She claims she was still at work, which I don't believe for a second. I said we'd still be home for the next couple hours. She never showed, and I'm not going to bug her Christmas weekend. One of her kids is a problem kid. My ONLY problem kid. If you remember my posts about "The Crying Spot", AKA "The Choosing Place", she is the 3.5 yr old who scream/cries. A fine Merry Christmas from this family. After the first of the year, I am going to advertise to replace them, and then give them 2 wks notice. They are constantly changing times on me, late arrivals, the 3.5 yr old is sick a lot, they "forget" to leave a check, etc., etc.
kayla 05:09 PM 12-26-2011
I have never recieved cash bonus. This in fact was the first year i recieved anything. This year i got a card a pad of paper and an ornament all from the same parent. I was ecstatic, not because i got the gift but because of the thought. Its really irritating they say all the time on the news that childcare providers should be tipped a week to two weeks pay. Im curious if this has happened to any other providers?? I'm glad i charge for holidays!! Because i dont get jack!
renodeb 08:49 PM 12-26-2011
I only got money once. Usually its baked goods, and gift cards.
Debbie
Kaddidle Care 12:10 PM 12-27-2011
Originally Posted by VioletCupcake:
Is'nt it funny how the gifts and the Thankyous and all of the warm holiday wishes come from the families with the easiest and sweetest children
Yep, that's usually the way. And it makes sense - the nicest Parents usually have the nicest children.

And the ones with the children that you spend 90% of your time trying to make nice little human beings out of are the Parents that won't give you a hello or a good bye much less wishing anyone a nice Holiday.

It's the old What comes around, goes around.
Blackcat31 03:01 PM 12-27-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Yep, that's usually the way. And it makes sense - the nicest Parents usually have the nicest children.

And the ones with the children that you spend 90% of your time trying to make nice little human beings out of are the Parents that won't give you a hello or a good bye much less wishing anyone a nice Holiday.

It's the old What comes around, goes around.
I am odd man out because the biggest bonuses I have ever received from parents have been from the parents of the three worst kids I have ever had in care! I always figured they were "kissing up" so that I wouldn't term their kids....LOL!

^^^That was in years gone by but this year I got a BIG bonus and a sincere card of graditude from my high needs baby's mom. The card said "Bless you for having to spend all day with B, I know it is tough and I am soooooo grateful, you are willing to tough it out with us." also included a super thoughtful gift and a big bonus.....But it was the words she wrote that meant the most to me.
Jewels 05:26 AM 12-28-2011
I actually recieved, $200 cash from one of my families, I was shocked and felt bad accepting it, but it was super generous, I got a beautiful necklace with my childrens names engraved, and a 1 hour massage from another, and $40 in food gift cards from another, very sweet families.
momma2girls 05:55 AM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I actually recieved, $200 cash from one of my families, I was shocked and felt bad accepting it, but it was super generous, I got a beautiful necklace with my childrens names engraved, and a 1 hour massage from another, and $40 in food gift cards from another, very sweet families.
WOW!!! You are SO LUCKY!!
saved4always 03:46 PM 12-31-2011
I only watch teachers' children and the parents have always given me a gift for Christmas. This year I got one weeks' pay in cash as a bonus and 3 gift cards for $25 each. I always give each of the children a gift and we do some kind of personalized craft for the parents. This year we did hand prints ornaments; last year the children were all younger so I bought ornaments that had openings for a picture and put a picture of the child's face in them. I always feel very appreciated by the parents. I am very fortunate in the families I have right now.
Tags:bonus, christmas gifts, unappreciated
Reply Up