Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What If YOUR Child Gets Sick?
VioletCupcake 10:27 PM 12-22-2011
We brought my son to an after hours clinic tonight because he does not want to eat and he has bumps on his tongue. He was diagnosed with Hand Foot and Mouth disease. I had been updating DCPs and let them know I would be closed tomorrow as soon as I found out what he had. Everyone was great and sent warm wishes and Merry Christmas, but one DCM was rather ugly to me. She did not think she should have to pay since MY son was sick. But my handbook states that she does have to pay. But she kept saying she didn't know and it didn't make sense. DCM is mad because I had to tell her last week that she had to pay for Tuesday this week even though her husband was made to take a mandatory leave from work. DCM is somewhat of a bully and never follows policies or pays on time and even though she drops off her child at 10:30am has often. It fed her or brushed her hair. She wants me to feed her daughter breakfast at 10am lol 2 hours after breakfast is over! Not to mention that I totally work with her schedule and don't make her pay for holidays since her days change every week. If I termed the DCG I could replace her land make A LOT more with another child. But they are a pretty nice family most of the time and the DCG is really good. They also invite my husband and I over all the time and have been really welcoming since we moved here recently and don't know anyone.
Anyways just wondering if other ppl charge for days you or your child are sick? I might have let her get out of paying, but she barely pays anything anyways.
And am I crazy to keep her just because she is a "friend" and I don't want to tick her off?
Michael 10:31 PM 12-22-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...vider+children
melskids 03:40 AM 12-23-2011
If I am sick, or my own kids are sick, or if I need to close last minute for any reason, then no, I dont charge.

But if its in your policy, and she agreed and signed the contract, then she is still responsible for the day.
MNMum 03:58 AM 12-23-2011
I have it written into my handbook that I have 3 sick days per year. I would use one for my children if I had to close because they are sick. This year, I've made my husband stay home when my 2 yo was sick. But we were all so sick this fall, if my 2 yo had gotten sick again, I would have closed and used one of my sick days. Most jobs offer sick pay. Why wouldn't doing childcare qualify? Especially since half the time it is the dck bringing in the germs in the first place! Try to just shrug off her rudeness. What it comes down to is your business, your policies, if they don't like it they can go elsewhere. I think it is more than reasonable to have a few paid sick days per year.
mickey2 05:37 AM 12-23-2011
I do not charge if I am not available for any reason.
mismatchedsocks 06:19 AM 12-23-2011
MY handbook says if I close for being sick, or closing for whatever reason I do NOT charge. BUT if my policy was to charge for sick days, and parents signed it without questioning it BEFORE they started its on them. Hope your son feels better!
melissa ann 07:21 AM 12-23-2011
I also do not charge if I close. But I agree with mels kids, if she signed the contract then she's responsible.
SimpleMom 08:29 AM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by VioletCupcake:
We brought my son to an after hours clinic tonight because he does not want to eat and he has bumps on his tongue. He was diagnosed with Hand Foot and Mouth disease. I had been updating DCPs and let them know I would be closed tomorrow as soon as I found out what he had. Everyone was great and sent warm wishes and Merry Christmas, but one DCM was rather ugly to me. She did not think she should have to pay since MY son was sick. But my handbook states that she does have to pay. But she kept saying she didn't know and it didn't make sense. DCM is mad because I had to tell her last week that she had to pay for Tuesday this week even though her husband was made to take a mandatory leave from work. DCM is somewhat of a bully and never follows policies or pays on time and even though she drops off her child at 10:30am has often. It fed her or brushed her hair. She wants me to feed her daughter breakfast at 10am lol 2 hours after breakfast is over! Not to mention that I totally work with her schedule and don't make her pay for holidays since her days change every week. If I termed the DCG I could replace her land make A LOT more with another child. But they are a pretty nice family most of the time and the DCG is really good. They also invite my husband and I over all the time and have been really welcoming since we moved here recently and don't know anyone.
Anyways just wondering if other ppl charge for days you or your child are sick? I might have let her get out of paying, but she barely pays anything anyways.
And am I crazy to keep her just because she is a "friend" and I don't want to tick her off?
I charge for 5 sick days per year (max.).
e.j. 11:50 AM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by VioletCupcake:
She did not think she should have to pay since MY son was sick. But my handbook states that she does have to pay...

Anyways just wondering if other ppl charge for days you or your child are sick?
If it's my decision to close the day care for any reason, I don't charge. If I'm open and the parent decides not to bring their child, I charge them.
Ariana 12:07 PM 12-23-2011
I give myself 5 sick days and 5 personal days paid. So if I go over the 10 days they get them free, otherwise they pay. Often though my husband can stay home with my daughter and I can continue with the daycare. I just tell the families in case they want to keep their children at home.
WImom 12:12 PM 12-23-2011
I do not charge if I close unless it's a paid holiday.
Tags:sick provider children
Reply Up