Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Phone - Strictly Business Cell Phone
Clara 11:16 AM 05-19-2013
While researching in Home Daycare I keep reading about parents that feel free to phone at anytime. Since I am in the planning the start-up & 1st year budgets Phone service is one aspect I am struggling with.

I no longer have a 'land line'. Like so many other families ..... each person has their own cell phone.

Thoughts are to have the business buy it's own cell phone. That way I could keep it out of hearing range late evening and nights.

What do you think?
Clara
Lyss 11:29 AM 05-19-2013
If you add a 2nd line just for your business you can deduct the cost on your taxes. You can't if it's your main line.

I'm using Google Voice after seeing people recommend it on this forum.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Google Voice does this for free:
  • Text messaging (no photo or video, just plain text)
  • Free phone number (the number that I give out to my clients, businesses etc.)
  • Free voicemail box that records voicemails. You can play them through their smart phone app or have them transcribed.
  • Customized greetings for certain numbers. My clients hear "Thank you for calling [daycare name] ...", my DD's father (not my DH) hears a generic "You have called [phone number] ... " etc. Or send certain numbers (like a hovering parent) straight to voicemail or screen/block blocked callers.
  • Completely free for or all uniformed military personnel with valid United States Military (.mil) email addresses to call the United States using Google Voice.
  • Free transcription of voicemail messages that are left (sends them either as email or as a text, whichever you prefer).
  • You can block phone numbers for free such as pesky past clients, obnoxious exes or unsolicited business calls). Blocked numbers hear "Neer, neer, neeeer. The number which you have called is no longer in service ... "
  • You can set whichever phone you want to receive the calls. Have to have at least one connected at all times but can have as many as you want and they ALL ring at the same time.
  • Send calls from Santa to whoever you want. You can fill out some simple info and a call is placed to anyone you want with a cute call from Santa. I send calls to my daycare kids that says "Ho ho ho. Hello [child's name]. This is Santa Clause. I just spoke with your daycare provider Vanessa. She told me you have been a very good girl and that this year you would like [toy]. Well, my first stop is your house in [State]. So don't forget to leave me some milk and cookies and be sure to go to bed early so I can bring you a surprise! But no peeking! All right little girl. Santa has to pack up the sled with presents and comb my beard. Merry Christmas!". I send the calls after making a craft of what they want most for Christmas.

It's great that you found something that works for you!! If you or others are thinking about a free option, Google Voice does the job
^^ & more info about phone options: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...t=google+voice
Cradle2crayons 11:30 AM 05-19-2013
I use my text free app on my iPad and that's what the parents have. I simply cut it off after hours.

But I would think that would be tax deductible if u did a separate phone.

I have a landline that came free with my dsl... And it gets free incoming... So parents have that number and my text free phone number...

I like the text free thing because I can send pictures and stuff too though.
Laurel 01:50 PM 05-19-2013
Our licensing rules require us to have a land line so you should check on that aspect before you decide.

Laurel
MarinaVanessa 02:46 PM 05-19-2013
From what I can remember if you have one line then it cannot be deducted but if you get a second line then you can deduct it.
Brooksie 04:44 AM 05-20-2013
Licensing required me to get a land line, after not having one for the past 4 years. Although, I'm not sure about your state. I can now write off that phone line and also a portion of my cell phone bill.
sarahhardy2711 10:57 AM 05-20-2013
I use google voice and LOVE it. Whenever someone DC related is calling my google voice number shows up (unless their number is programed in), then I know if it's important or can wait till after the kids leave. Plus using the app on my phone allows me to text from my phone or computer. I love google voice it's amazing for home daycare!
Tags:cell phone
Reply Up