Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Pools for Daycare Kids?
Abigail 10:22 PM 08-05-2010
For toddlers and preschoolers, what types of baby pools do you think work well? Our summers here are very nice and most daycares around here have baby pools. Some are inflatable with little built in slides and others are plastic traditional round ones or larger plastic with built in slides. Which do you prefer? I'm not worried about storage space and I'm not worried about the cost because they always have a good variety on clearance every year!
boysx5 03:29 AM 08-06-2010
we are not allowed any pools of any kind
JenNJ 03:33 AM 08-06-2010
I just have a tiny hard plastic pool that I got for about $5 at Walmart. I use it with the sprinkler on "splash days."
Pammie 03:44 AM 08-06-2010
I just use the small inflatable ones. They're nice because the kids can't hurt themselves if they happen to fall into/out of/on to.....they deflate nicely for storing...and they're super cheap (less than $5each at Walmart)!!
tmcp2001 04:02 AM 08-06-2010
We are not allowed to use pools unless we have parents sign a liability waiver - something I'm not comfortable doing. We just do sprinkler days instead, a good way to cool off with out the hazards of a pool.

Also, we are allowed to take the kids to a lifeguard-staffed pool. I haven't yet though because I can't imagine trying to watch that many kids near the water - that's a heart attack in the making!
judytrickett 04:11 AM 08-06-2010
You might want to check with your insurance company about that. I know in Ontario that you can not find a single daycare insurer who will allow you to have a pool.

Now, lots of providers here HAVE pools but that is when I urge parents to ask if one, they even HAVE insurance and two, if it's really valid then.

Check with your insurer.
DanceMom 04:25 AM 08-06-2010
I use the hard plastic ones - I have a very small one for smaller children and a bigger one for the toddlers - I dont use it very often - will use sprinkler or water table mostly
emosks 05:25 AM 08-06-2010
In Michigan you can use a baby pool but you can not put water in it until you are literally stepping into it. It must be drained the second you get out of it. You can not take your eyes off the children.

Insurance will sky rocket too. We have a hot tub with a hard cover and is always locked when not in use so I did not include it on my policy but it would have tripled it if I had. Knowing we never leave it unlocked and the kids can't get the top off (I barely can by myself!) we opted to not include it.
judytrickett 05:38 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
In Michigan you can use a baby pool but you can not put water in it until you are literally stepping into it. It must be drained the second you get out of it. You can not take your eyes off the children.

Insurance will sky rocket too. We have a hot tub with a hard cover and is always locked when not in use so I did not include it on my policy but it would have tripled it if I had. Knowing we never leave it unlocked and the kids can't get the top off (I barely can by myself!) we opted to not include it.
Yeah, but you might want to check on that. I know that for most insurance companies they will take ANY out they can if there is a claim. So, let's say a dckid gets hurt falling down your front steps. The parents sue. If the insurance company simply finds OUT you have a hot tub and you did not disclose it then your policy is void and now the parents are looking at YOU to sue.

That's how insurance companies work. That's how they post billion dollar quarter profits. They don't care about YOU. They don't know that you never, ever had your hot tub unlocked. All they care about is that you did not disclose everything and therefore they have an OUT.
emosks 05:52 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
Yeah, but you might want to check on that. I know that for most insurance companies they will take ANY out they can if there is a claim. So, let's say a dckid gets hurt falling down your front steps. The parents sue. If the insurance company simply finds OUT you have a hot tub and you did not disclose it then your policy is void and now the parents are looking at YOU to sue.

That's how insurance companies work. That's how they post billion dollar quarter profits. They don't care about YOU. They don't know that you never, ever had your hot tub unlocked. All they care about is that you did not disclose everything and therefore they have an OUT.
My insurance rep KNOWS we have a hot tub. It was an option to add it in!!
judytrickett 05:56 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
My insurance rep KNOWS we have a hot tub. It was an option to add it in!!
Yeah, I get that he knows it. I'm not trying to be arguementative. What I am saying is that unless you have a piece of paper from the insurance company stating that THEY know you have it and THEY are okay with upholding your policy KNOWING you have it then they have an OUT.
swaddlebees 06:45 AM 08-06-2010
I have a blow up pool nothing special. Wait til 90% off clearence at target, It was about $30 regular and i paid a couple bucks.

We cant use sprinklers here cause we are on water restriction for droughts.

We get in the pool daily though
MommyMuffin 07:04 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by :
We are not allowed to use pools unless we have parents sign a liability waiver - something I'm not comfortable doing. We just do sprinkler days instead, a good way to cool off with out the hazards of a pool.
I have to have this signed by parents too and the way it is written it sounds so horrible I doubt any of my parents would sign it. I would love to be able to use my little blow up pool. I know some providers in my area that do it and do not make parents sign a waiver but I dont think I would feel comfortable breaking that rule. Man I wish I could be a rebel.
judytrickett 07:08 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I have to have this signed by parents too and the way it is written it sounds so horrible I doubt any of my parents would sign it. I would love to be able to use my little blow up pool. I know some providers in my area that do it and do not make parents sign a waiver but I dont think I would feel comfortable breaking that rule. Man I wish I could be a rebel.
Ah, there are lots of opportunities in life to be a rebel!

Just not when it could affect the loss of your income, your savings, your home and everything you worked so hard for! I think you are smart to not be a rebel in this one.
tenderhearts 07:26 AM 08-06-2010
We are also not allowed any type of pool, so we use sprinkler and the kids love spray bottles (I pick up at the dollar tree) since we don't use squirt guns. They have more fun with the spray bottles than the sprinkler.
Abigail 09:25 PM 08-06-2010
What water toys/equipment do you recommend? I know they have this huge beach ball that attaches to the hose and sprays water out different holes that looks really neat. Do you have any outdoor water toys or equipment the kids really enjoy? Thanks!
QualiTcare 10:30 PM 08-07-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
What water toys/equipment do you recommend? I know they have this huge beach ball that attaches to the hose and sprays water out different holes that looks really neat. Do you have any outdoor water toys or equipment the kids really enjoy? Thanks!
i got an octopus at dollar general for six bucks that hooks to the waterhose - the water sprays out and makes the "legs" on the octopus spray all around in different directions - kids LOVE it!
Tags:pool, preschoolers, swim, toddlers, water
Reply Up