Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Run Into A Family You Termed?
tmcp2001 11:13 AM 11-04-2010
Out in the community? I've only termed one family (for a variety of reasons, #1 of which was that the mom was repeatedly nasty to me) and I'm terrified of running into them at the store, etc. I saw the dad once at the gym and thank God he didn't see me. I get extremely anxious about running into them - and I termed them back in MAY!?!?

Anyone else worry about this? If it's happened to you, how did you handle it?
kidkair 11:19 AM 11-04-2010
I usually totally ignore them. I have had two living in my neighborhood and so I would see the parents every so often but I would just look the other way. Only one of the kids would even recognize me (the others were too little and here for under two weeks). She has said hi once and I said hi back. It pained me to not be able to give her a big hug because I really do still love her but she was in a stroller with a playmate. Shortly after that she moved out of the neighborhood and I haven't seen her since.
DCMom 11:39 AM 11-04-2010
I have only terminated a family one time. Kids were brats, parents were odd, one of those families you knew in your gut you shouldn't take but you do it anyway? In the end, they filed a complaint for breach of contract, licensing got involved, big mess and a L-O-N-G story. Suffice it to say, I'll probably never terminate someone again, lol!

About a month after it all happened, I was at the grocery story with my dd; I get really focused when I'm grocery shopping because I HATE it and I just want to be done. Anyway, I apparently walked right by them (three kids in the cart, two parents) without a word. At the end of the aisle, my dd pokes me and says 'That was really rude'. To which I reply 'What??) She proceed to tell me that they were 'staring me down' just waiting for me to say something; the kids were smiling and waving and I just walked right on by, didn't even see or hear them. Oh well, serves them right.
busymomof2 04:43 PM 11-04-2010
I recently terminated a 2 year old for hitting my son (baby). I ran into her and her family while trick or treating. They tried to ignore me but I did nothing wrong and I refuse to feel bad in my own neighborhood so I went out of my way to say hi, told her she looked cute in her costume and told them to come by my house for candy...of course they didn't LOL.
AfterSchoolMom 04:47 PM 11-04-2010
That actually happened to me a couple of days ago. I just said hello and asked after the child as if everything was fine. It was uncomfortable, but the parent was cordial.
Lucy 06:44 PM 11-04-2010
I have only termed once, and it was 10 yrs ago. I have seen the mom at the grocery store maybe twice and we never locked eyes at the same time. I saw her as she was looking at some item, and I looked away. I'm willing to bet she did the same thing, but I didn't see her looking at me. If we had locked eyes, I would have just done a half smile and said a quick hi as I proceeded with my shopping.

THEN.... I went to get my hair cut one evening and the mom, son (now 14) and daughter (now 11) were there, along with a daughter they had after they left my care. I don't know that mom saw me, as I was in a little alcove waiting area. I recognized her british accent and realized it was them. Again, we never locked eyes, and I really don't think she even knew I was there. It was actually fun to see the kids who were 4 and 1 when I had them.
marniewon 08:33 PM 11-04-2010
Yes, i have. I've seen them a few times now. One time was a church-type function, where they ignored me as much as I ignored them....lol. After that, dh and I had to go to the auto parts store (where dad works) and not only did he say hello, ask how I was doing, but also helped us out with the part that we needed. Yes, I know that was his job, but he actually stepped in when his co-worker couldn't help us out. And the funny thing is, dad is the reason I termed to begin with! He could never make it over on time, sometimes coming a few minutes late, sometimes a lot late, sometimes not coming at all, with no phone call. One time he was over an hour late, and dh and I had a minor emergency with dh's kids, so we left. Dad came to drop kids off 1/2 hour later, and my (then) 11 yo son told him we left because they weren't there earlier. Dad was really mad and swore at/in front of my son. When I got home and ds told me about it, I immediately emailed mom to term, on the grounds of disrespect.
Tags:terminate
Reply Up