Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids that Cuss?!?
SunflowerMama 07:56 AM 09-26-2017
Oh my gosh I have a 3 yr dcb that turns my hair gray. Well this weekend he picked up a nice new word...SH**. UGH!

He said "Oh SH**" when he dropped his fork yesterday and none of the kids heard but then today he just said in the playroom when he was playing with trains. The 4 and 5 year olds heard it and repeated. SMH.

What am I going to do if he keeps repeating it? What do you guys do with kids who pick up colorful language and then share with their friends??
Ariana 08:03 AM 09-26-2017
I mostly ignore and see if it stops on its own. Some kids are looking for a reaction. If it continues I simply say "we don't use that word here, it is not appropriate and only adults use it". Rinse and repeat, let the parents know.

We went through a "stupid" phase last year and it subsided after a few weeks.
Snowmom 08:04 AM 09-26-2017
I would tell him that word is not allowed at my house. I would also address it with the parents.

Like you, I would ignore it the first time and not draw attention to it. But he's going for repeat behavior... not ok and needs to be addressed with the parents.
Jupadia 08:26 AM 09-26-2017
As a teen I had a brother 10 years younger so there were times were I would or the brother a year younger then me would swear. Of course the toddler began to pick up on it. So we explained to him there words that you use when you get bigger and you can't use them at your age but you can when you get as old as us. It worked with him and I plan to say the same thing to my kids and dk's.

I will add that though he never got to be the same age as us (cause we all keep getting older) he did hold off on using such words till he was a teen.
Poptarts22 08:39 AM 09-26-2017
I have a dcb coming 3 in December who has sibs in their late teens. Last week at pickup (thankfully he was the last/only) dck here) his mom said "hey,buddy, you ready to go?" He responded with "no! F you! F you!" Mom immediately slapped him across the face HARD. So, not only did my two year old twin grandkids have to hear the colorful language, they also got to witness a child being abused. This job makes me so sad sometimes
Ariana 08:42 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
I have a dcb coming 3 in December who has sibs in their late teens. Last week at pickup (thankfully he was the last/only) dck here) his mom said "hey,buddy, you ready to go?" He responded with "no! F you! F you!" Mom immediately slapped him across the face HARD. So, not only did my two year old twin grandkids have to hear the colorful language, they also got to witness a child being abused. This job makes me so sad sometimes

I would have termed on the spot. That is ridiculous. Does she honestly think that the F word is worse than slapping your kid in the face
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 09-26-2017
Seems some providers are just blessed with tons of type clients.
daycarediva 09:40 AM 09-26-2017
YUP!

I had a dcg saying "damnit" but you couldn't understand her. Mom said they said it ONCE when she dropped something in the kitchen.

She got ZERO attention for it, and it stopped.

For the kids you CAN understand, we say "That's a potty word. You can say it in the bathroom only." and redirect them to the bathroom. After a few times, just pointing works. They stop eventually. NO other attention/reaction.
Silly Songs 10:07 AM 09-26-2017
I believe that is abuse. You are a mandated reporter and at the very least contact child services and discuss this with someone. That poor baby .
Georgiads 03:49 PM 09-26-2017
The child does not deserve that and you shouldn't have to have the stress of that in your life.

That is insane.
Josiegirl 02:40 AM 09-27-2017
What I do in response to cussing depends on each child, etc. I used to have a dcb that thought nothing of throwing the F bomb out in front of anybody. We were all sitting listening the a reader from the library and dcb started talking about the f'n frog in the picture. That among other reasons is why I decided to terminate him.
Then I had 3 brothers on Saturdays for awhile, to earn some extra money. The 5 yo had quite the mouth on him and ended up calling me an f'n bit@h. So that was the last straw in the relationship that had tons of issues to begin with.
I've had the normal dammit and $hit dropped here and there and try to ignore it or if it seems to happen again, I'll just speak up and say 'we don't say that here, it's not okay'. Usually it goes away. I guess I'm more bothered when I constantly hear the terms stupid, brat, or idiot during the summer. That's thanks to a couple SA dcks.
Josiegirl 02:43 AM 09-27-2017
Another thought is for times like that, introduce a silly saying instead. One of my former dcms started saying 'oh pickle juice!' which the kids thought was pretty funny. So they'd make up their own funny stuff. They got to cracking themselves up so much the original term is usually forgotten.
Poptarts22 08:53 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
I believe that is abuse. You are a mandated reporter and at the very least contact child services and discuss this with someone. That poor baby .
Momma wasn't out of the drive before I made my call...I was raised in a home where I saw my fair share of paddling and slaps. I don't stand for it. I raised three great kids without ever laying an angry hand on them. I fully understand how easily a kid picks up bad language. beatings are not the way to stop them.
Mom2Two 01:19 PM 09-27-2017
Hitting a child in the head is physical abuse. You need to say something even if it's just that it can cause concussion etc. It can cause the brain to knock against the skull and reduce balance etc.

Happened to dd when she came off a horse at her therapeutic riding two years ago. She had a helmet on, but the brain can still knock against the skull. She was tripping over herself for the next 24 hours.
Tags:cussing, inappropriate talk
Reply Up