Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Term? We Just Don't Fit
Unregistered 08:16 PM 03-21-2018
I have a dcb that has been in my care for over a year and I really clash with his family but keep trying to stick with it. He's 5 and VERY babied. From day 1 I couldn't "click" with him:
*super picky eater- parents cooked him special meals. He's improved very much with this since he started daycare with us. One time he told his mom he was so hungry and cried when she picked him up. He likes apples so I had cut his apples into slices and he wouldn't eat 1 bite because they weren't the right size. He sat there and compared each slice with each other
*Talker... Big time! Wouldn't play and just followed me around ALL day talking- I nipped this by continuously telling him to go play
*Can not amuse himself. He absolutely needs another child to lead play but tries to switch everything to his own game to take control... I'm assuming this is because he's the oldest dck but the baby with 10+ years between himself and siblings.
*He's super sensitive to any kind of "no" or discipline. One time he pulled the upholstery off the back of my recliner and used a staple to pop a new ball... Then he hid the evidence for me to find later---that being said he's a bit destructive too
*Since He's scared of getting in trouble, he never tells me anything. If a kid is mean to him, when he gets a random bloody nose (prone to those), if he wants help getting a sweatshirt off, if he wants more of something to eat (I always make a point of asking him because otherwise he will not tell me)... Just anything and everything.
*He has a hide and pout attitude... I don't allow him to hide behind the recliner anymore though!

Anyway, his parents don't like me. I'm not a fan of them we have totally different parenting styles and they make me feel on edge ALL THE TIME. He was termed from his last daycare which they confessed to me but I have no idea why. They have told me "he's too scared to tell you and I don't want him to be afraid to tell you things." I'm not a mean person. I have a much more direct personality and like to keep my schedule and rules "strict" for lack of a better word. They, on the other hand are passive aggressive and snarky. This family never wants to hear about his day and randomly hint about things they want. Once, dcd said this to me- "If you want to wait til Wednesday to cash that check I wouldn't mind!" And "dcm likes him to have a sippy for the ride" (implying I send a filled cup with him at the end of the day).

On top of all of these "annoyances", today I was speaking with 2 day care moms at pick-up. DCD comes in telling one of the moms how happy his boy was to nap in the same room as her child. I mentioned that they are both good nappers and sleep a long time. (I always have to wake these two up... They sleep between 1.5 to 2 hrs) he says in a joking voice "yeah that's why he doesn't sleep at night 'hahaha' you maybe shouldn't let him do that." Then leaves. I wanted to tell him "maybe its the pacifier he still sleeps with or the tv you use to put him to bed that makes him have a hard time sleeping. Or... Perhaps its the YouTube videos his sister watches at night on her phone that keeps him up (he shares a room with her). Ugh.
Tags:bad fit, terminate - bad fit
Up