Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advise PLEASE!!!
cherryhill 05:17 PM 03-14-2011
The two year old dcg I watch had blood in her pamper when I changed her right before she went home. I just about freaked out. I inspected her and it looked like the blood was coming from her vagina. Has this happened to anyone else before? I saved the diaper and gave it to her mom, her mom said she was taking her to urgent care.

I told her I would follow up later with her.
should I fill out an incident report? Should I request a Dr.s note before she returns.

thanks
daycare 05:20 PM 03-14-2011
Oh my gosh so scary. Yes I would do all that you mentioned.....So sorry you are havng to deal with this and I hope that DCG is ok.
Cat Herder 05:23 PM 03-14-2011
Don't panic.

It is possible it is simply a "straddle injury" from a ride on toy. A small hymen tear, not uncommon and will heal during early childhood.

(I am sure someone here has a bicycle injury story...not uncommon in SA girls)

How much blood was there, and was is bright or dark red?
Live and Learn 05:24 PM 03-14-2011
Document, document, document.

FYI...I had a little DCG with very sensitive skin and when she would have a poopy that was too hard her little anus would tear a little....it happened a couple of different times.....is it possible that this is what happened?
cherryhill 05:29 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Don't panic.

It is possible it is simply a "straddle injury" from a ride on toy. A small hymen tear, not uncommon and will heal during early childhood.

(I am sure someone here has a bicycle injury story...not uncommon in SA girls)

How much blood was there, and was is bright or dark red?
hopefully you are right. We just came back from the park and she was on the swing and rode the horse thingy.

The blood was bright red and it was coming out as I was changing her. It was about a tablespoon of blood, but it looked like it just started bleeding.
Cat Herder 05:33 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
hopefully you are right. We just came back from the park and she was on the swing and rode the horse thingy.

The blood was bright red and it was coming out as I was changing her. It was about a tablespoon of blood, but it looked like it just started bleeding.
Yep, that is what I would suspect...

Keep us updated. I will check in tomorrow morning...I am being beckoned for a walk by two bossy dogs....

Goodnight
DBug 02:50 AM 03-15-2011
I had a 3 year old who would hold it in, and then when she did go, her bottom would tear internally. The first time it happened here, there was blood dripping out, way more than you would expect with just pushing too hard -- it freaked me right out . I called her dad immediately and he filled me in on the fact that this was a normal occurrence for her. They still took her to the doctor just in case, but the doctor said the same thing. Basically he told them to feed her more fruit . Still, I had all sorts of visions of what could have caused something like that and it was more than a little scary.

I'm sure in this case that it's completely normal, but still, make sure you document everything, just in case!
Crystal 06:53 AM 03-15-2011
If she had to go to the doctor for this I would let your licensor know about it. Just. In. Case.
Cat Herder 06:55 AM 03-15-2011
Any updates?
cherryhill 09:00 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Any updates?
So she is back there are no explanations of what caused the bleeding. The mom said they took a urine sample this morning and examained her but nothing looks out of the ordinary. They brought a dr.s note stating she can return to daycare so I guess she is ok. Weird I can't see bleeding out if the blue ordinary but hey what do I know?
DBug 10:26 AM 03-15-2011
Are the parents curious as to the cause, at all? Did the doctor give ANY possible causes?

If you haven't already, write it all down. This sounds a little off to me ...
cherryhill 12:08 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
Are the parents curious as to the cause, at all? Did the doctor give ANY possible causes?

If you haven't already, write it all down. This sounds a little off to me ...
Parents do not seemed too concerned. The Dr.s note was pretty vague could have been from anything just said dcg could return to daycare. No follow up calls from the mom nothing just a normal day I suppose. Maybe I just overreacted seems like I'm reacting for the both of us. No bleeding today.
SilverSabre25 02:23 PM 03-15-2011
I bet it was a hymen tear. I don't think that they would find that without a REALLY invasive pelvic exam, and maybe not even then.

i remember having a problem like that in elementary school--I was playing on one of those "gymnastics" bars and straddling it, and somehow fell HARD with the bar between my legs. Hurt like nothing else in the world has ever hurt...not even child birth! I remember discovering blood all over "down there" when I went to the bathroom later that day. There was quite a bit of it. I never told anyone about it; I think I was in second grade.

I think it also tore again when I was a young teen and was at horseback riding camp. Same thing, except I thought my period had started really early!
Cat Herder 02:29 PM 03-15-2011
It is one of those things some folks just don't talk about.....

Not like me who will tell you more than you could ever possibly want me to...

I am glad your Little is doing well.

It is unnerving when it happens...
Unregistered 02:44 PM 03-15-2011
Years ago I had a little one here (maybe about 4 or 5) and they had an inground swimming pool with a diving board...she was walking on the board when she slipped and fell with the edge hitting her between the legs...her parents took her right to emergency and they had to do a couple of stitches...AFTER the parents and the little girl were grilled (separately) on how she had gotten an injury like that...

It would scare the heck out of me too and I know my mind would be racing into scary territory of WHY a little one would be bleeding from the vagina....I hope that the doctor actaully did see her and ruled out any kind of other problem...
JenNJ 03:51 PM 03-15-2011
A young female relative of ours had a partial hymen tear at age three due to a scooting toy at her home. It was upsetting but once the dr asked what her activities had been that day, it was obvious what it was. Apparently it happens quite often but as soon as girls are potty trained they are scared to tell anyone.
Tags:blood, hymen year, injury
Reply Up