Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Military Spouses/Daycare Providers here?
kpa0627 09:56 AM 05-21-2010
My husband and I just got to our first duty station... Fort Riley, KS a few months ago and I have started my in home daycare since we moved here. Just wondering if there are any other military wives here? If so, have you had any struggles starting your business over when you have to move from place to place? Most of all.... just thought it would be great to find someone who has a couple things in common.... a military wife and daycare provider. It's quite the job! LOL
originalkat 10:52 AM 05-21-2010
Hi! I am a military wife as well. However, our situation is a bit different. My husband was in the Marine Corp for 8 years (4 active, 4 inactive reserve). We were in San Diego during that time. Now, he is in the KS Air Natl. Guard in an Active Guard Reserve(AGR) position which is like active duty with benefits etc...but he is perminetly stationed here at McConnell AFB which happens to also be our hometown.
Carole's Daycare 11:10 AM 05-21-2010
I was a military wife for 15 years. He is now out, and a full time deputy sheriff. I quit my job at a law office and started a daycare right after Sept. 11. Our youngest son, Ian, was born Sept 6, and due to complications I was still in the hospital when the towers were destroyed. I knew then that James would be gone more than home and my kids would need me more than my current job allowed. It was quite the challenge operating a childcare during those first years, alone. I had a good "battle buddy" of my own- the wife of a medic in my husbands air assault unit. Through her challenges in finding and affording childcare, since she was a paramedic w/ long /overnight shifts and 4 kids at home- I was motivated to do something about it. Up to that point, in MN there was no help for military families regarding childcare. Our Governors wife had started some family support programs- and I turned into a public speaker advocating for the needs of military families and kids. That resulted in partnering with our local CCR&R to get Operation Childcare working in MN- I was the first volunteer provider- and donated about 300 hours in 2004. Now that has expanded to funding thru ChildCare Aware and other programs. Even though my husband is home I still work and volunteer chilcare at many local FRG, and state events, as well as Gold Star retreats held here in MN. Though I am no longer technically a military wife- now a veteran's wife- that was my identity for so long I still consider all military wives my sisters. Hooah to you for the toughest job in the military- the spouse of a soldier- and for doing one of the other toughest, and most important jobs= childcare.
professionalmom 12:32 PM 05-21-2010
Four of my five brothers were military and my husband was before we met. Although I am not a military wife, I just want to say one thing - GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES for all the hard work and dedication!! You, military wives/moms, take "supermom" to a whole new level. Most people don't think about it much, but you should know that we admire you and appreciate the awesome sacrifice all of you make so that the rest of us can have the freedoms that we enjoy (and sometimes take for granted). GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!
Michael 12:41 PM 05-21-2010
Thank you for your service! Memorial Day is May 31st.
Crystal 12:46 PM 05-21-2010
Not a wife, but a new Military Mom. My son is National Guard Military Police.

It's already been hard as a mom, I can imagine how hard it is for the wives.
DBug 03:59 PM 05-21-2010
Several of my dck's parents are military -- Canadian, yes, but we're all fighting the same enemy. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the soldiers that drop their kids off with me everyday, and for the ones that are my neighbours and friends. A friend of mine is also a dc provider. The mom of her 12-month-old dcg is leaving this month for 6 months of training in BC, all the way across the country from where we live. Dad is staying home with the baby. My next door neighbour took her two toddlers back home to her parents' (in another province) to live while her husband did his 6 month training in Florida. Another friend got married last month, and her new husband was just posted to Afghanistan this month. Two doors down, the dad spent 1 year there, came back for a couple of months, and now has sold his house to go back overseas.

I don't know how you all do it, but I am SO glad you do!

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
TGT09 04:41 PM 05-21-2010
Previous Army wife here. He's out now. I was a nanny when we were stationed in Germany but I didn't do a home daycare. Good luck...I often wondered what I would do if I were put in your position. If things don't pick up soon, my hubby may have to go back in so that's why I think about it.
fctjc1979 10:47 PM 05-22-2010
My husband is in the Iowa National Guard. He is going active July 27th with boots-on-ground in Afghanistan in October. He will be gone until the following July/August. This is his 6th or 7th deployment but it will be the first time since we got married. This will be the first time he will be leaving a family behind. I worry that our one-year-old will forget who he is. She's such a daddy's girl now, I'd hate for her to lose that. We have another baby due December 6th. I'm still doing daycare but I've lowered the number of kids that I care for so that this doesn't become more than my pregnant body can handle.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:01 AM 05-24-2010
Not anymore, but was for a time. We were at Loring, Fairchild, and Fort Walton.... AF.
Anna 10:51 AM 06-07-2010
I am! Husband is AD Army and we are stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii. This is our first duty station also. We got here in December 08 but with 10 days notice my husband got deployed right away and I moved back to MN (where I am from). We just got back here in December 09 and I just started a daycare also (off post). Are you living on or off post? It is definitely a tough job being an Army wife and running a daycare. I don't have any of my own children and am only 21! A lot to handle but I am loving it!
mainemomma 09:57 AM 06-08-2010
Me!! We are stationed in eastport, me (Coast Guard) and I run an inhome licensed daycare :-) It's defeintly been an adventure!!!!!!!!!
Tags:military
Reply Up