Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking Of Buying A Few New Toys Any Suggestions?
cherryhill 09:14 AM 05-12-2011
My group is newly 2 year olds. I have blocks but want more, we have puzzles, play doh, tools, books, babies, and other small toys any other suggestions I think they are bored. We have alot of structured play but that last about 10 minutes or less for each activity.

For those that use structure play and no cirricullum what does your schedule look like. Lately my day looks long and we Spend 2-3 hours outside daily since the wheather has been nice

Thanks
Live and Learn 09:16 AM 05-12-2011
I would hit the thrift store or craigslist for Duplos and Fischer Price Little People.
SilverSabre25 09:32 AM 05-12-2011
Big ditto to the Duplos and the Little People...that's what I was going to suggest.
Stacy214 10:19 AM 05-12-2011
oh yea! Start collecting the little people...mine love them! that and cars/trucks.
DCMom 10:37 AM 05-12-2011
Funny, duplos and little people are what mine played with all morning!

Mine like the bilibos http://www.creativekidstuff.com/bilibo.html the indoor balls (the kind you find in ball pits) and the Little Tikes shopping carts. I would say that those are the five things that my young twos play with every single day.
MarinaVanessa 10:53 AM 05-12-2011
I have only a few toys of different categories out for play at any given time but have more toys in the same categories stored in the closet, garage etc. Same toys but different variations you could say. For example right now I have the large wooden unit blocks, farm animals (plastic), little people farm house and soft farm animals, wooden community building set, community worker doll figures, 8 wooden puzzles, about 15 books and the multi-cultural food playset in our kitchen playset. Last week we had the colorful small unit block set, lincoln logs, zoo animals (plastic), vinyl elephants and girraffes, dollhouse and furniture set, doctor dress-up stuff, different puzzles, magna-doodle, felt dolls and clothes, different books and fruits and veggies in our play kitchen. I find that the less toys I have out and keep rotated the more the kids play with them. Of course this is on top of the regular toys that I always have that never het put away like the sand/water tables, dress-up clothing, baby dolls and accessories and art stuff etc.
WImom 10:59 AM 05-12-2011
My two year olds love counting bears and bowls. They also like little people and cardboard blocks. Our train table has been a use hit. Got it about 2 weeks ago at TRU for $99 with all the track and trains.
Meeko 11:07 AM 05-12-2011
Bristle blocks...it's my kids latest favorite.
momofsix 11:07 AM 05-12-2011
My 2 year olds LOVE toys that "match" up with books. I have a tub of sea animals and they get that out with the books that have sea animal pics, I have a tub of farm animals...same thing.
They also love the kitchen (especially the food with velcro that they can "cut"), hot wheels, magna-doodles, texture tub, and crafts (glue, paint, mnarkers and crayons etc).
I agree w/ Marina, when the toys are rotated, the kids play with them a lot more because they're always new!
Missani 11:10 AM 05-12-2011
My twos are really into bristle blocks right now-and of course, Duplos. I have a few little plastic bikes (trikes with no peddles) that they also love, and the cardboard blocks are a big hit. And, yes, they love Little People, too. Pop beads (or any toy that pops together) and play food (requires a lot of sanitizing) probably round out the top toys for that age range here. A small indoor slide is also a great idea if you have space and can properly pad around it.

I'm glad someone else mentioned the train table. I loved ours, but I actually just got rid of it because my twos were constantly standing on top of it. After months of getting them down and redirecting them, they still didn't learn. I decided it was more of a safety hazard than anything and sold it on craigslist. I'm sad, though, as I thought it was a great idea. Now we just play with trains on the floor.
Unregistered 11:24 AM 05-12-2011
Our train table actually fits matchbox cars nicely so we have trains on the floor in a seperate room and get to use matchbox cars with the "train table" too. Once in a while we switch it up. The kids love it!
Tags:toys - suggestions, toys age appropriate
Reply Up