Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Forum and Watching Kids!?!
Unregistered 08:15 AM 01-24-2012
Hi,

I see some of the same people on this forum all day. As a parent, I was just wondering how you are able to watch my chldren in your home if you are online all day?

It isn't naptime ALL DAY?

Looking for a real answer.
AfterSchoolMom 08:21 AM 01-24-2012
In my case, I only have one infant currently, who (if you notice my last post) is sleeping a LOT. There's only so much laundry that can be folded in a day. Hopefully, once the baby grows a bit and is more active, I'll be playing more and online less.
daycare 08:23 AM 01-24-2012
mine is left on all day online, but I post when the kids are a nap or while they are eating at the table. My desk is right next to the table.
mac60 08:26 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi,

I see some of the same people on this forum all day. As a parent, I was just wondering how you are able to watch my chldren in your home if you are online all day?

I am wondering the same thing about you....you are at your supposedly job, and your boss allows you to be on a daycare website.
momofboys 08:26 AM 01-24-2012
In my case I only provide PT care - this week I only have children in my care on MWF, so no kids today. Also, you need to take into consideration that people are posting from all over so there are different time zones in place - it may be 10 am where you are but somewhere else in the world it's 6 in the morning. There are also (not sure how many) hundreds of posters so although it may seem like a ton of posts take that into consideration. I think my average post is 1 a day (maybe!) - that only takes about a minute or two of my time. I believe also that many of the providers on here post a lot during naptime. Things are not always as they seem!
momofboys 08:27 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
I am wondering the same thing about you....you are at your supposedly job, and your boss allows you to be on a daycare website.
Love it!
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 01-24-2012
Simple...

Sometimes I am sitting at a desk while they are doing art. Sometimes I am on my cell/ipod/laptop while they are at free play..... Sometimes I am not open yet.... sometimes I am closed, sometimes they are asleep...

Typing this took 60 seconds, tops. I am in the same room at all times... If I stare directly at them the entire day, they will NOT play with the centers at all.

Also, I am already "online" often when I come to check out this forum because I rarely click the log out tab... I just close out the window.

Even when my computer is turned off, I show "online" when I peek in from my cell, ipod or laptop.

My DCK's are currently chasing DH around with bubble blowers in the yard...it is a rare sunny day here and almost 60*.

MMMMM... Hot fresh coffee...
Heidi 08:31 AM 01-24-2012
Occasionally, I may have an unplanned day off, and will check in here. If I have children in care, I will usually wait until nap time to really visit, but if the children are playing & engaged with something during free-play, I will occasionally check the forum when they are awake.

They are in the room with me, and more often than not, it will take me 20 minutes to read & answer a post, because I get up to help someone, run interference, or change a diaper. Kids first, forum 2nd.

It's late January in WI. I am alone with 3-5 children all day, 50 hours per week. Being here keeps me sane!:Sunny
momofboys 08:31 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Simple...

Sometimes I am sitting at a desk while they are doing art. Sometimes I am on my cell while they are at free play..... Sometimes I am not open yet.... sometimes I am closed, sometimes they are asleep...

Typing this took 60 seconds, tops. I am in the same room at all times... If I stare directly at them the entire day, they will NOT play with the centers at all.

Also, I am already "online" often when I come to check out this forum because I rarely click the log out tab... I just close out the window.

Even when my computer is turned off off, I show "online".

My DCK's are currently chasing DH around with bubble blowers in the yard...it is a rare sunny day here and almost 60*.

MMMMM... Hot fresh coffee...
Lucky you w/the weather! It's about 26 here & breezy!
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 01-24-2012
Many members are logged in at all times but it doesn't mean they are actually on-line reading the forum. If you hang around long enough, you will notice the busy times and the slow times.

Members are also spread across the country, continent and world so time zones vary as well.

Many members also have assistants and are not working alone. Not to mention with technology today, smartphones, i-pads and laptops make communication throughout the day possible with the click of a mouse or a few finger taps...

There are so many different situations/variables that it is really unfair to assume that because a member is on the forum all day that they are not watching kids.
Unregistered 08:34 AM 01-24-2012
I'm off today
greenhouse 08:34 AM 01-24-2012
This is 2012 and most of us are posting from the palm of our hand. No one is chained to a desktop in another room while kids are choking on stuff. My dck is napping btw. I keep my iPhone on my person at all times to snap photos for parents or if I need to call parents/police.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 01-24-2012
Ok, that answers my question, thanks!
Provider_Manda 08:38 AM 01-24-2012
I'm closed today
sharlan 08:39 AM 01-24-2012
My desk is in my kitchen. Playroom is 5 ft to my left, kitchen table in right behind me, and the family room is 3 ft to my right. Right now I only have 1 child before 3 PM so I'm able to be on the computer while he's playing.
Breezy 08:41 AM 01-24-2012
My ds and dcg are having free playand chatting away to each other. I am writing this from my tablet computer where I am logged in all day. I see the members of this forum as my coworkers and they keep me sane all day!! Its nice to chat with adults throughout the day. Dont you talk to your coworkers?
SilverSabre25 08:43 AM 01-24-2012
My dcks are chilling and playing beside me less than ten feet away, my son is hanging on my knee making it all wet, I'm giving my dcbaby a bottle with one hand and typing with the other hand. I am very adept at typing with one hand

If I sit and do nothing every time I'm feeding one of the babies I will go insane. So I mess around on the internet to keep my brain from leaking out my ears.

Sometimes I;m on my Nook or laptop, sometimes they are napping/eating/with DH.

The window is open all day but I certainly don't sit here all day!
greenhouse 08:54 AM 01-24-2012
Breezy said it- talking to co-workers
Most of us come on here to solve issues, help our little ones, and make our daycare's better places. Our DCK are our top priority. This is a really difficult job, support is a must. Sometimes we need a question answered ASAP during the day.
Meyou 08:58 AM 01-24-2012
Right now they're sleeping but earlier I had one trying to steal my slippers, one on my lap and the rest doing puzzles at the table.
Mary Poppins 09:11 AM 01-24-2012
I have two assistants who are highly capable and frankly, the kids think they are wayyy more fun than me!
Mary Poppins 09:12 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
Breezy said it- talking to co-workers
Most of us come on here to solve issues, help our little ones, and make our daycare's better places. Our DCK are our top priority. This is a really difficult job, support is a must. Sometimes we need a question answered ASAP during the day.

youretooloud 09:14 AM 01-24-2012
I have one child who is extremely difficult, and when she's awake, I can't sit down to do anything, but for the other kids, they can behave the way I expect of children and I can sit down now and then.

Really 99% of kids are very typical children without constant needs. They play together, and work on projects without me helecoptering all the time.

Also, when I feed a bottle to difficult one, I can sit here and read and surf while she's eating.

Sometimes, we all need to sit down and have a break...and since the kids are not highly needy, it's OK to rest.
sahm2three 09:15 AM 01-24-2012
THANK YOU! Daycare providers are held to an IMPOSSIBLE standard. What we are expected to do is ridiculous.

As for me, I have a full time assistant, and while doing bookwork off and on throughout the day I am able to post here. So there, justified your dumb question.
youretooloud 09:17 AM 01-24-2012
See? I typed my previous response, got up, dealt with a playdough crisis, removed a Target receipt from another child, determined it wasn't my receipt, threw it away, and came back to type this response.

I am amazing.
melskids 09:19 AM 01-24-2012
kids chewing.jpg

Sorry...I couldn't resist.
Attached:
Ariana 09:20 AM 01-24-2012
While my kids are happily involved in free play I pop on and off. Some days it could take me an hour to finish a one sentence post and other days it only takes 2 seconds. I do most of the reading and answering during nap time which is 2 hours long!!

I am in no way shape or form neglecting my duties, if the kids needs me I'm right there. Kids don't need adults to be in their business all the live long day either.
kendallina 09:23 AM 01-24-2012
I only have kids in the mornings for preschool and usually no one in the afternoon, so that's the only time I post.
Meyou 09:32 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Attachment 786

Sorry...I couldn't resist.
Switch to duct tape...too sticky to chew.
wdmmom 09:37 AM 01-24-2012
I keep several tabs up all at once. That way I can navigate from daycare.com to checking my email to updating my website.

I also have a staff assistant that is doing dancing with the daycare kids. I'm not in the same room but I can see them on camera.

But I think Blackcat said it best!
Unregistered 09:40 AM 01-24-2012
This is Cat Herder..... and look, I am already logged it...

It is like I am magic, although I miss all the options of smileys and tags this way.

Not logging in is just not as much fun, it seems...
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 01-24-2012
This is Cat Herder..... and look, I am already logged it...

It is like I am magic, although I miss all the options of smileys and tags this way.

Not logging in is just not as much fun, it seems...
smarty pants!!
Unregistered 09:46 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
THANK YOU! Daycare providers are held to an IMPOSSIBLE standard. What we are expected to do is ridiculous.

As for me, I have a full time assistant, and while doing bookwork off and on throughout the day I am able to post here. So there, justified your dumb question.
I don't think it is a dumb question to wonder what your provider is doing while watching your children. It is responsible parenting. You can't be upset if I "don't get involved in my childrens's lives" enough, and then turn around and be upset if I do research to make sure that that they are getting their needs met.

My provider e-mailed me today, at a time other than snack, lunch, or naptime. She watches 7 children, so naturally, I came to other providers to find out if this is indeed, possible, and ok for the kids, before I make more of a big deal about it than I should. It isn't dumb, it is responsible parenting.

PS: I got lots of great answers, so I feel much better about the situation.
Cat Herder 09:50 AM 01-24-2012
I thought you'd like that, Blackcat.....

I have to mention it took me three tries to get that sight code right... I had to put my annoying new reading glasses on...

My DCK's are all cleaned up, fed, changed and laying down to sleep, now... They are peeking to see what I giggled at....

They should be out cold in minutes....
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 01-24-2012
I don't think it is a dumb question to wonder what your provider is doing while watching your children. It is responsible parenting. You can't be upset if I "don't get involved in my childrens's lives" enough, and then turn around and be upset if I do research to make sure that that they are getting their needs met.

My provider e-mailed me today, at a time other than snack, lunch, or naptime. She watches 7 children, so naturally, I came to other providers to find out if this is indeed, possible, and ok for the kids, before I make more of a big deal about it than I should. It isn't dumb, it is responsible parenting.

You have every right to ask. Please do not feel like you shouldn't. I do hope that we have all given you a few scenarios that make sense and put your mind at ease as to what it is we do all day. This forum is as much for parents as it is for providers so never ever feel like a question is dumb when it involves the care of your child.
Ariana 09:54 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You have every right to ask. Please do not feel like you shouldn't. I do hope that we have all given you a few scenarios that make sense and put your mind at ease as to what it is we do all day. This forum is as much for parents as it is for providers so never ever feel like a question is dumb when it involves the care of your child.

I think it's a very valid question. I think some people just get a little defensive because you're original question seemed a little snarky which obviously wasn't intentional.
Heidi 09:59 AM 01-24-2012

It wasn't a dumb question. Unfortunately, one can't read tone, so perhaps someone didn't read it in spirit it as intended.

If your child comes home happy & healthy, chances are your provider is doing her job. A good provider can multi-task, just like most moms. You know...cooking dinner, talking on the phone, nursing the baby, and telling Jimmy not to color on the walls all at the same time!
greenhouse 10:03 AM 01-24-2012
OP, are you having issues with your provider? We may give you answers but we aren't your provider, so we can only answer for ourselves. There are good eggs and bad eggs.
Zoe 10:07 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
While my kids are happily involved in free play I pop on and off. Some days it could take me an hour to finish a one sentence post and other days it only takes 2 seconds. I do most of the reading and answering during nap time which is 2 hours long!!

I am in no way shape or form neglecting my duties, if the kids needs me I'm right there. Kids don't need adults to be in their business all the live long day either.

In addition to this, I have a small group right now. Today it's just me, my own son (4) who's watching tv, and a 2 month old who sleeps A LOT. So to keep myself from going insane I am on a lot.
melskids 10:07 AM 01-24-2012
I know I posted a smart alect remark/picture, but that's just my nature.

You have every right to ask questions, especially when it involves your children.

I'd rather a parent ask me and be open and honest about their concerns, then never say anything at all.
laundrymom 10:08 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
My ds and dcg are having free playand chatting away to each other. I am writing this from my tablet computer where I am logged in all day. I see the members of this forum as my coworkers and they keep me sane all day!! Its nice to chat with adults throughout the day. Dont you talk to your coworkers?

daycare 10:10 AM 01-24-2012
I'm not a child watcher, I'm a daycare provider. I provide a safe clean environment for your child to learn and grow. One where they learn to socialize with their peers, cope with their feelings and learn to explore. Plus much much more

I don't sit and stare at your child all day, nor do I sit/stand and entertain your child all day every day while in my care..

Right now my DCKs are building a play-dough fort. I am not going to do it for them. They are learning math, cooperation, small motor skills, and communication. All while I sit here type and watch over them...
Cat Herder 10:10 AM 01-24-2012
It is 100% fair question.

Before the internet I used to read magazines and books during the periods of time I needed them to play independently. I now save a lot of money by being able to just look things up.

It is developmentally important that they learn how to interact with each other. I am here to intervene and redirect as necessary....but sometimes I MUST stand back and let them play as a child led group. YKWIM?

We do have several periods during the day that I lead, circle times, story times, meal times...etc.

The flip side is that this is a lonely/stressful job without being able to talk to each other. Providers that don't have to ability to talk with other adults during the day tend to obsess over smaller issues and risk taking it out on the kids.

This is actually part of a well thought out/documented Stress Management plan that is discussed during training classes. Provider Burnout is a very real risk.
AnneCordelia 10:11 AM 01-24-2012
My group is primarily 3 1yos and a 3yo. This morning I posted while my 3yo was playing playdough, and the 1yos were playing blocks. I post from my smartphone. Everyone was happy and playing, and I was just sitting by watching.

Now I'm posting during naptime from my laptop. I have cleaned up lunch, prepped for the afternoon and now am taking a few minutes. Sometimes I sit for a few minutes before I clean up lunch. Sometimes I post from my phone in the backyard while the kids are playing too. I text my parents pictures of their kids too.
countrymom 10:42 AM 01-24-2012
ok, this got me thinking. How many parents text their providers during the day and want an instant response, kinda wonder what are they doing all day too
youretooloud 10:50 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
ok, this got me thinking. How many parents text their providers during the day and want an instant response, kinda wonder what are they doing all day too

I have one parent who teaches 1st grade, and texts me occasionally through the day...and another one who is a nurse. How on earth do either of those professions have time to text????
youretooloud 10:57 AM 01-24-2012
OP... no. It's not a dumb question at all... maybe you could have worded it differently, but it's a totally legitimate question.

I have actually noticed that on parenting boards, or working mothers boards that the parents will say "My provider never ever stops interacting with her group, EvER... she hears their every breath, she sees their every move, lunch magically makes it'self, and the children sit on her lap the entire day while she sings little songs in their ear.".

But, in reality, they do a lot without being watched closely. I DO actually hear everything, but the kids don't know I do.

We just had lunch, they can play for about 20 more minutes, and then we have to clean up and get mats out. After nap, they pretty much play and eat snack, but leave soon after nap.
JenNJ 10:58 AM 01-24-2012
I either use my laptop (always on the kitchen counter since I use it for recipes a lot) or my smartphone which is always in my pocket. I know you got some snarky responses, but I can see where you are coming from as a parent myself.

I generally am "logged in" because it is open on my phone or browser but I am not here all day long. Usually I pop in and out while the kids are playing, doing an art project, or napping. I don't come on during snack or lunch because one of my fears is choking so I am like a hawk while they eat, .
wdmmom 11:04 AM 01-24-2012
It's a valid question however, most anything can be acquired through phones now.

I can check daycare.com on my phone, facebook, email, etc.
saved4always 11:19 AM 01-24-2012
My kiddos are napping right now and do not need me to stare directly at them while they are sleeping. That would be extreamely boring and cause me to fall asleep which was the subject of another thread. So, since vacuuming is out, checking email and the forum is what I do while I wait for them to wake up. Why it is your business, "unregistered", I don't know, but there you have it. Plus, I never log off of this site so, for all I know, it shows me being on it all day and all night even though I do not check my computer til naptime (which, in case you really feel the need to know, is usually from about 1 p.m. til 3:30 p.m. or whenever the kids decide to wake up, whichever comes first). Hope someone is keeping tabs on your online use, too.
saved4always 11:21 AM 01-24-2012

Unregistered 11:22 AM 01-24-2012

You can also answer that yourself, how do you email, pay bills, wash ect. when you have your own children to watch. Maybe she has a laptop, and the kids are watching a movie; doesn't really matter because a email is nothing that I would even wonder about. Now if she were having a garage sale or something, then I would be wondering.
busymommy0420 11:24 AM 01-24-2012
Just yesterday a provider inquired about herself napping during the children's nap time. I go on this forum during the children's naptime only! This is to keep myself busy, get new ideas, and get support. I keep my computer on my bed and do not bring it downstairs at all, that way I am not tempted to check my e-mail, facebook or forum during the day. I am fortunate to get a 2 hour break each day and find that is when it is appropriate for me to use the computer. I do my updates to the parents on our personal facebook page then too.

As a parent, I would just ask my provider if I felt there was a lot of "computer" time during daycare hours!
saved4always 11:26 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
See? I typed my previous response, got up, dealt with a playdough crisis, removed a Target receipt from another child, determined it wasn't my receipt, threw it away, and came back to type this response.

I am amazing.

saved4always 11:32 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I think it's a very valid question. I think some people just get a little defensive because you're original question seemed a little snarky which obviously wasn't intentional.
Yep...the original post to which I responded definitely came out "snarky", i.e. the "Is it naptime all day?" comment. If you ask a question in a snarky, accusatory way, expect to get snarky responses in return.
sahm2three 12:06 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by ALM:
Yep...the original post to which I responded definitely came out "snarky", i.e. the "Is it naptime all day?" comment. If you ask a question in a snarky, accusatory way, expect to get snarky responses in return.
Exactly THIS!
AmyLeigh 12:15 PM 01-24-2012
My desktop is in the playroom, so I can be online and still observe everything that is going on. Most of my kiddos are older and have been here a while, so they don't need as much of my interaction as little ones would. Also, my 2 older children are in a virtual academy and the 5 yo dcb uses starfall and time4 learning, so one or both computers are online almost all day, since we do school in between playing. Usually, I will have a tab open to this site just for my own education/amusement in between lessons.
We roll like a big ol' family here, so with a little finagling, Mom gets to multitask and do some things for herself (like shop on Amazon!). Keeps me balanced.
Kaddidle Care 01:12 PM 01-24-2012
Besides all of the answers above, keep in mind that many of us are in different time zones. Also, not everyone here works full time. I don't - and I'm on in the AM with my Java and in and out here after work.

I do find it funny that on the weekends it's deadsville around here.
youretooloud 01:30 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

I do find it funny that on the weekends it's deadsville around here.
Ya.. on the weekend, I'm too busy!

Honestly though, the computer is in the playroom, and the playroom is not in the common part of the house, so, I just rarely come in here unless I need something.
MyAngels 01:34 PM 01-24-2012
Holy Cow, this thread blew up, didn't it . I guess that's what I get for not checking in during naptime...

It's a legitimate question (although it did come across as snarky), and I think I even asked it myself when I first found this board .

Then I got a laptop, tablet and smart phone and the answer became obvious.

I would say to the OP - if you have a question about your provider e-mailing you, it would be a good thing to address your question directly to her. I'm sure she would not hesitate to address your concerns, and will appreciate the communication from you.
CheekyChick 02:05 PM 01-24-2012
So true... LOL!!!
CheekyChick 02:08 PM 01-24-2012
I am often too busy to come on here, but when I do, it's either nap time or my assistants are working with the children. That's okay, right?
dave4him 04:44 PM 01-24-2012
Im teaching my five year old how to type and find letters on the keyboard
Unregistered 12:12 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
. I keep my iPhone on my person at all times to snap photos for parents or if I need to call parents/police.
omg. I lol'd.
thank you for that!
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:47 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Im teaching my five year old how to type and find letters on the keyboard
LMAO
Countrygal 02:01 PM 01-25-2012
I can't believe you did that, Catherder.....

I think you had us all going.

It is a legitimate question, tho. For me, I can't wait til nap time so I can sit here and check out the forum for the day. Sometimes IN the a.m. I have a quiet play time and I get to get on for a few moments, but sometimes, like today, I don't hardly get on at all.

And like everyone else, I am always logged in - I don't think I've logged out for a week!
SilverSabre25 02:05 PM 01-25-2012
omg. I lol'd.
thank you for that!
...what was funny about her comment? I'm really curious...it is absolutely a legitimate reason to have a phone on us. We are a bunch of women home alone with a bunch of defenseless kids...any number of reasons could come up for us to need to call police right away, and god forbid there be an emergency, we want to be able to contact parents/911 without having to leave a child in distress.

The benefit of having adult contact during our long babble-filled days is icing on the cake of safety.
SilverSabre25 02:05 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I can't believe you did that, Catherder.....

I think you had us all going.

It is a legitimate question, tho. For me, I can't wait til nap time so I can sit here and check out the forum for the day. Sometimes IN the a.m. I have a quiet play time and I get to get on for a few moments, but sometimes, like today, I don't hardly get on at all.

And like everyone else, I am always logged in - I don't think I've logged out for a week!
Cat is NOT the OP, just to be clear
Unregistered 03:59 PM 01-25-2012
It looks like most of us have laptops in the same room as the kids, IPhones , etc. ( it IS 2012 after all! ) and IF we never log out, I suppose it looks like we are sitting at the computer all day...which is not true of course...

There have been times when I realize that I am logged on to a different childcare forum ALL the time because I can't remember my password so I just stay logged in!

Somedays, I look at my Facebook and realize that I didn't check out of chat so it looks like I'm on the chat all day...I'm not but it could be a false assumption on the part of a dcm or dcd if they saw my name...the funny thing is that I see quite a few of the "WORKING" parents logged on and off there at different times! SO -- are they actually daring to be on Facebook ...GASP...at work?????

It's a pretty sad day at any job if you can't have a few minutes somewhere in the day to BREATHE..or look at the computer screen or go to the bathroom????

Sorry...I guess I forgot myself there "Masta"...I'd better shuffle on back to my chains ...it's evening here but from the tone of your inquiry, I'm probably not supposed to be taking a break ...I'm closed now until 7 a.m. Thursday morning but I guess I shouldn't be getting all uppity and making the assumption that I'm "free" for a few hours...
Mom&Provider 04:02 PM 01-25-2012
Hi,

I agree with the many of the OP's, your tone was stating that you felt 'we' shouldn't be online, emailing etc. while children are in our care. If you have an issue or concern with 'your' DCP say so - that makes the tone very different!

There are always moments throughout the day that kids are playing, eating/snacking, napping etc. and it only takes a few moments to read something and reply or ask for advice. It takes just as long to type something up as it does to use the bathroom...and we HAVE to do that! LOL!

Anyway, I don't think your DCP is doing anything out of the ordinary by emailing you, but if you have concerns that she's upstairs in her bedroom surfing the net for long periods while the DCK's are alone somewhere else then that's an issue and ask her about it.
Cat Herder 04:06 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Just got a text.... Nope, I am not the OP. Mods know.... I swear.

Just showing OP how it keeps us logged in sometimes even when we are offline....

I have been offline today because of a migraine... First one in 13 years...

The little words and bright lights are miserable like this... Hopefully I will be back to my smart arse self tomorrow.....
Christian Mother 04:16 PM 01-25-2012
Hi,

Providers are all around the world on this sight and we can leave are computers on all day. I don't believe all providers are on the sight the whole time but if you leave the sight open and walk away it will still show your on by the green light. You shouldn't worry as long as these children are well taken care of and their needs are provided for there shouldn't be any reason as to anyone question the use to this sight. My parents know that I use my computer and it can be in and out all day bc I use it to print daily reports, projects for my kids, research, it is also in the room that the kids play in. I can check during nap which is 3 hrs for me depending on which children i have for the day and I do have infants which are 2 of the 4 I have in attendance each day. This sight is a wonderful sight to bounce ideals and learn from not to mention get advise. I understand your concern but if you have a problem with your provider on this sight you should mention to her. So she understands your concerns. My parents know and understand I do not abuse my responsibilities and personally there is no way i could be on here all day....my kids take first priority.
Countrygal 06:34 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
OK, by her previous posts, I thought she was..... sorry for the misconception! Forget my post, then!
Unregistered 04:13 AM 01-26-2012
Sorry to be bitchy last night but it's annoying to ALWAYS have someone who "hasn't walked a mile in MY shoes" make such sweeping and general comments and in a seemingly snarky tone and attitude...

As someone else mentioned , I do believe that PARENTS actually also use their computer when their children are with them...I certainly wouldn't condone ANYONE being on their computer for hours at a time when they should be watching their (or someone elses') kids but a quick minute or two here and there?? It should be possible I think...

And, I'll add, my laptop is in full view of all parents when they walk in and it's usually on...and it's in the room where we spend most of our time so it is possible for me to look at this site occasionally and still have my eyes and ears on the kids ...who are playing quite happily right with me in this room...

Now I'll shut up and go away...
Cat Herder 04:57 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
OK, by her previous posts, I thought she was..... sorry for the misconception! Forget my post, then!
Nah...

It is one of those questions that get asked here about every 3-6 months...

I, like many, have a responded to it MANY times....

I think sometimes that is why we sound so "harsh" or "snarky" sometimes.... Each time we say it, we shorten it more and more to "just the meat" of the matter..

It is RARELY intentional.
Breezy 05:12 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Nah...

It is one of those questions that get asked here about every 3-6 months...

I, like many, have a responded to it MANY times....

I think sometimes that is why we sound so "harsh" or "snarky" sometimes.... Each time we say it, we shorten it more and more to "just the meat" of the matter..

It is RARELY intentional.
Morning, Cat! How are you feeling this morning? Migraine gone?
Cat Herder 05:32 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Morning, Cat! How are you feeling this morning? Migraine gone?
Yes, it is!!!

Thank you for asking.

After checking out WebMD I think I may have triggered it with hot chocolate AND soaking in lavender/eucalyptus bath beads before bed Tuesday night....

Getting older calls for a few adjustments, I guess....
Breezy 05:39 AM 01-26-2012
Ohhhhh but that sounds heavenly
My3cents 06:35 AM 01-26-2012
Hi,

Red Flag- tells me that you have issues with your provider and you should bring them up with her. Get back to us on how that works out for you-

The answer to your question is probably the same as how you would be online when your child is home with you-

Good Morning Co-workers!!! To the person who called all of us here Coworkers- I really like that! I am grateful for all of you and the many moments we share through out the day
Breezy 06:42 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Red Flag- tells me that you have issues with your provider and you should bring them up with her. Get back to us on how that works out for you-

The answer to your question is probably the same as how you would be online when your child is home with you-

Good Morning Co-workers!!! To the person who called all of us here Coworkers- I really like that! I am grateful for all of you and the many moments we share through out the day
Hehe that was me! Goooood morning!
Unregistered 05:30 PM 01-26-2012

I usually only post when I can. Sometimes hubby is home and gives me a relief. Sometimes kids sleep. Sometimes the kids are outside running around and I can get a minute to post. Now if you saw someone posting every 5 seconds, I guess I'd be concerned. Posting periodically throughout the day? Not a concern. I would tt your provider if you are having issues with her using phone/internet (whatever she's using) but to ask the question the way you did implies all people online can't watch kids at the same time. Reality? not the real way things are.
Gurdy 12:00 PM 01-27-2012
I'm off today
If you are off today-- why is your child at daycare?

You apparently had all day to watch this forum to see that people post several times and are logged on at times you feel they should be watching children.

Your day off would have been better spent playing and bonding with your own child. That would be responsible parenting.
dave4him 12:11 PM 01-27-2012
I do my best to wear them out as much as possible so i can lule them to sleep with some curious george... hoping they all zone out at once
countrymom 06:22 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Gurdy:
If you are off today-- why is your child at daycare?

You apparently had all day to watch this forum to see that people post several times and are logged on at times you feel they should be watching children.

Your day off would have been better spent playing and bonding with your own child. That would be responsible parenting.
I agree with you. Go and spend some time with you child/ren because they will always treasure the time they spend with you.
Unregistered 11:50 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I agree with you. Go and spend some time with you child/ren because they will always treasure the time they spend with you.
Second this. That is SO annoying that parents NEVER take their children on their days off. Their theory is that they are paying anyway, so why should they? Well how about this? I charged MUCH less than most daycares (in home) and yet still no one gave me relief. How about giving me some time when I gave you a break on the amount you pay? When I charged $95/week for FULL time care, the very least a parent can do is give me a day off. I remember a parent quit on me after a YEAR because I took THREE (3) days off and paid a backup for her and everything. She said I wasn't reliable. I wanted to smack this woman. She took time off CONSTANTLY and left her kid with me. Her work paid her for this time, though she was not there and she had some NERVE telling me not to ever have a break even though she wasn't out any money! I just don't understand some parents...I get the need to work, but why have kids in the first place if when you are off work you don't want anything to do with them????
Meeko 08:45 PM 01-28-2012
I can understand why it must look like some providers are on all day. I like to leave a window open to the forum and check in every now and then. I do have an assistant, but even if I didn't, there is no reason it couldn't be checked quickly.

Parents need to step back and think what they do on the weekends with their child at home. Do they stare at them continously from sun up to sun down? Do they follow them every single step? Do they never get on their own computer with their children around? Do they never make a phone call or do anything except interact with their child?

If they answered honestly, they would see that they do actually do other things as well as making sure their children are supervised and well taken care of.

Day care providers do things like make meals, clean etc while kids are in care. They even take a quick look at this forum!
Tags:advice, internet, provider - burnout risk, stressed - no more, venting
Reply Up