Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Policy
Hartingirl 08:01 AM 12-05-2014
Hi again! Thanks for letting me lean on you all so much right now. Just wanting to make sure my ducks are as much in a row as possible before I open.

I accept children ages 3-5. My original thinking was that since I am not permitted to have an assistant (in-home daycare, zoning regulations prevent my having an employee), and because I will already have my own 8 month old and potty trained 3 year old here, that I would prefer that my new enrollees be mostly potty trained prior to enrollment. I realize that this is potentially controversial.

I have a potty training policy already drafted and pending in my parent handbook. I don't mind working with children who are already on their way, doing pretty well, and having limited accidents. What I don't want is to be engaged in a science activity in the garden with my children outside and for Johnny to have had an accident on himself or in his pullup while I'm watching the children by myself. Then I've got to interrupt the activity, haul everyone back inside to get him cleaned up after I give all of the other children something appropriate with which to occupy themselves. I am very flexible and do not mind one bit if accidents like these happen ocassionally - I expect them. I just don't want things like this happening throughout the day with multiple children because I am open to taking anyone, regardless of potty training.

Any thoughts on this? I know that there are providers that have this policy or something similar. Given that I will be alone with the children, and that there are multiple floors on which my daycare will run, do you all have any suggestions for ways I could create a potty training policy that is both respectful of children's needs for help at school as well as at home but is also manageable and doesn't cut into the academics and other planned activities I will have throughout the day? (I offer drop-in, part time, and full time spots. So there will be designated periods of coming and going.)

Thanks for your ideas and/or feedback!
therov 08:27 AM 12-05-2014
I think your explanation is fine and not overly burdensome--you get to define your daycare as you wish. As long as you add the tagline "occasional accidents are understandable" to your desire for potty-trained children, parents should understand. (Our local preschool has the same policy--potty-trained only--and the threes classes have no problem with enrollment.)
Hartingirl 08:33 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by therov:
I think your explanation is fine and not overly burdensome--you get to define your daycare as you wish. As long as you add the tagline "occasional accidents are understandable" to your desire for potty-trained children, parents should understand. (Our local preschool has the same policy--potty-trained only--and the threes classes have no problem with enrollment.)
Thank you! My "people-pleasing" nature is making me nervous. Better get over that one, right?
earlystart 10:07 AM 12-05-2014
I agree, there's no problem in having a "potty trained only" policy for 3-5 year olds, it's very common in a preschool setting, which it sounds like you'll be having. It just means some kids can't enroll, and those parents will see that a lot if they have a 3-4 year old who isn't potty trained, so you won't be "the bad guy".
Tags:potty training policy
Reply Up