Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant RSV Advice Please
GotKids 04:45 AM 04-11-2012
After begging mom to come get the baby (4 months old) she took him to the dr. He has RSV and was given a machine to do breathing treatments every 4-6 hours. I have not dealt with RSV before only asthma. I gave him his treatment but he is still wheezing. Normally with my sons asthma a treatment fixed that. Is this normal? He is alert and babbling still not showing any other signs of distress. Also, he breathing is worse laying down would break the rules and let him sleep in a bouncer next you today so he can be upright or lay him in his crib and hope that checking on him frequently is sufficient?
sassysue 04:49 AM 04-11-2012
I wouldn't do any of that-I would send him home.RSV is highly contagious
Solandia 05:13 AM 04-11-2012
RSV...ah...gotta love it. What a fickle virus. The last time we had rsv here, it was my own two kids. My older boy(at 1yo at the time) barely had any symptoms other than a sniffly nose...I would have never taken him to the dr, excpet...my younger boy(7 or 8 mo at the time) ended up with a neb and breathing treatments. The other dck's here had it the previous season (all confirmed by lab). So I didn't exclude anyone or close. As my older two kids have been on the asthma train for years, a neb and wheezing are old hat. Unfortunately. Normally I exclude for rsv for a min of 5 days, especially if I have a infant in my care.

***But a 4mo....and the breathing treatments aren't working? Absolutely the mom needs to take baby home ---and--- probably back to the doctor. The teeny LOs can go downhill soooo fast. His breathing is definately NOT under control, and NOT ok for daycare. IMO, and I am pretty lenient/laid back on the whole illness thing.
MrsB 05:49 AM 04-11-2012
You ladies are dedicated providers!

I would never take a child that has to have a breathing machine. Even if it is Dr. orders. I am way too much of a nervous nelly and every cough or wheeze I would be scared the baby would fall over and die! Yes I know logicially it wouldn't happen like that. That's just me though, I have no problems telling parents I am just not comfortable with those kind of things. Especially if it is an acute thing. Scaaarrryyyy!
texascare 05:53 AM 04-11-2012
Most children who are diagnosed with RSV are our of care for a week at least! Check to see if his breaqthing is labored. Lift up his shirt and see if his chest is going in like he is struggeling to breath. If there is any sign of this or if you are uncomfortable you need to call mom. He is very young and not only is RSV VERY contagious but it can turn very quickly and get worse. Keep us posted!
momma2girls 05:55 AM 04-11-2012
I am a nurse, and still not willing to do neb treatments here at daycare. If they need neb treatments, they need to stay at home. On another note, the RSV is highly contagious, and they need to keep their child home, til symptoms are better!! This could mean a week out of daycare!! My families would flip if they had to do that!!
godiva83 05:56 AM 04-11-2012
I also would call mum ASAP and get the baby back to the doctors!

My son when he was 1 week was misdiagnosed with just a wee cold, when infact it was RSVP and it went down hill very fast, by the time he got to the ER they had to put him on oxygen and he was borderline brain dead Thank the Lord it all worked out in our favour after 2 weeks in hospital in isolette.

I wouldn't risk it with an infant so young
momma2girls 06:09 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:

My son when he was 1 week was misdiagnosed with just a wee cold, when infact it was RSVP and it went down hill very fast, by the time he got to the ER they had to put him on oxygen and he was borderline brain dead Thank the Lord it all worked out in our favour after 2 weeks in hospital in isolette.

You are correct here. I have seen many go down hill very fast with RSV!! Very scary stuff not to fool with!!!!
CrayolaKids 06:14 AM 04-11-2012
I agree with what everyone else is saying as well. Having worked in a hospital with MANY infants with RSV, this little one is just too young to back at daycare right now. Because he is so little yet, he should be having one on one care/supervision to monitor his symptoms closely. As others have stated, RSV can worsen very very quickly, especially with the tiny babies. Myself, I wouldn't be comfortable having him in my care if he is having labored breathing or wheezing at all and I would suggest going back to the doctor..especially if the neb treatments don't seem to be helping. And then there's the whole contagious part of the illness as well...
momofboys 06:19 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:

I have been in yoru shoes & it was not fun! My middle son had what I thought was a minor cold (at 4 weeks old) & it went downhill fast. He ended up in the PICU with RSV on a feeding tube/breathing tube down his throat/& oxygen for about a week. It was very scary. LAter (after he was released from hospital) he contracted pneumonia & had to be hospitalized again. I'm glad your little one ended up okay - I thank God everyday that my now healthy (although he has asthma) 8-year-old was in God's hands.

Anyway, I digress but I would call the mom to pick-up if after a treatment there is no improvement he needs to be seen by a dr.
saved4always 08:17 AM 04-11-2012
I had a little guy who needs albuterol in the neb every time he would get a cold. It wasn't RSV though. I am very familiar with using a neb because my daughter gets a wheeze almost every time she gets a cold, too, so I have no problem giving a neb. My pediatrician has told me that the albuterol just opens up the airways and can be used at the slightest wheeze without harm to my daughter. I also was only watching a couple other children though, so the time it took did not matter. It wasn't taking me away from a large group.

If his symptoms are not improving with the treatment though, I would definitely call mom. Especially with how young he is...I would not take any chances with a baby that small. The little guy I did the neb for was over a year old.
GotKids 08:18 AM 04-11-2012
Within minutes of posting the the OP, I put the baby down to let in another client. I had to run back over to the baby because he sounded like he was choking and couldn't get air in. I flipped him over and slapped his back a few times. He coughed up a bunch of phlegm. He was still wheezing but breathing. I called mom to come get him, she complained but finally did. Thanks guys for all the advice this morning.
Christian Mother 09:50 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
I had a little guy who needs albuterol in the neb every time he would get a cold. It wasn't RSV though. I am very familiar with using a neb because my daughter gets a wheeze almost every time she gets a cold, too, so I have no problem giving a neb. My pediatrician has told me that the albuterol just opens up the airways and can be used at the slightest wheeze without harm to my daughter. I also was only watching a couple other children though, so the time it took did not matter. It wasn't taking me away from a large group.

If his symptoms are not improving with the treatment though, I would definitely call mom. Especially with how young he is...I would not take any chances with a baby that small. The little guy I did the neb for was over a year old.

How scary OP!! RSV, it can def. be a scary thing. One of my little guys had it a couple yrs ago and he has always been on a neb. doesn't matter what kind of cough...the albuterol is in it and the steroid at night at home. My daughter had broncitis really bad and ended up with the neb. with albuterol and the steroid also. I will provide them here with a written release allowing me to give them but as far as RSV. It's very contagious so I won't allow a child back into care for a wk from the day they got diagnosed.
saved4always 09:58 AM 04-11-2012
I am glad that she is coming to get him! That is too scary a situation for you to be in. I would have called for sure, too! He needs mom's one on one care and possibly more medical care.
saved4always 10:00 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
How scary OP!! RSV, it can def. be a scary thing. One of my little guys had it a couple yrs ago and he has always been on a neb. doesn't matter what kind of cough...the albuterol is in it and the steroid at night at home. My daughter had broncitis really bad and ended up with the neb. with albuterol and the steroid also. I will provide them here with a written release allowing me to give them but as far as RSV. It's very contagious so I won't allow a child back into care for a wk from the day they got diagnosed.
That is how the little guy I had started...he did have RSV last winter and he was home for over a week I think. Then he needed the neb at almost every sniffle. My dd started on the neb path after being diagnosed with broncholitis a few years ago.
GotKids 11:56 AM 04-11-2012
Mommy called to update me. Baby has been admitted to the hospital and the 2 other siblings that I sent home with fevers are going back in to the dr. I am not sure if they will be admitted too.
Christian Mother 01:11 PM 04-11-2012
Sooo scary!! I pray the little guys get better!! You did well in contacting the parents to come and grab little guy..I can't believe this parent ashually almost gave you a hard time on even picking up in the first place. Sad!
Reply Up