Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Scissors
MamaBearCanada 04:52 AM 01-14-2013
This might have been covered before, but I'm just wondering at what age you start offering scissors for kids to use. I usually start when they are three but I find a lot of kids can't handle them well until they are 4. Also, how much do you work with them on their grip and positioning if at all? I tell mine "thumbs up" is good, but are there any other tips and tricks to help them.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 01-14-2013
Each child here age 2 and up has their own crayon/pencil box.

For kids 2-potty trained they get crayons and one glue stick

Once they become potty trained (no matter the age) they get crayons, markers, glue stick, sm Elmer's glue and a pair of scissors.

ALL art is done in one specific area and while sitting down. The kids have tons of cutting sheets to practice on.

The only "guidance" I give them is the "Thumbs up" tip and other than that, they seem to figure it out on their own. I have a couple boys right now who wil literally cut for hours.

They are required to pick up all thier own scraps too so the area stays clean.

I guess I don't give them much guidance as they all seem to manage and I haven't run into one yet who hasn't simply figured out on their own from practice.
itlw8 10:57 AM 01-14-2013
somewhere around 18 months I let them try. I have a couple of pair that open back up the child only has to squeese. First they start by cutting playdough and then move on to paper. By 4 most of mine could cut on a line and cut out a circle.

My kids used to have free access to sissors but dgs has a problem with cutting things hee is not supposed to cut. Because of this they need to ask to cut so I can supervise closely.( littles only cut with me at the table)
melskids 10:57 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
somewhere around 18 months I let them try. I have a couple of pair that open back up the child only has to squeese. First they start by cutting playdough and then move on to paper. By 4 most of mine could cut on a line and cut out a circle.

My kids used to have free access to sissors but dgs has a problem with cutting things hee is not supposed to cut. Because of this they need to ask to cut so I can supervise closely.( littles only cut with me at the table)
I do this as well.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:45 PM 01-15-2013
Scissors are available at all times for my kids, but on a shelf that's hard for a child under 2 to reach. My first baby pretty much insisted on being included in the cutting action when he was 14 months, and I felt it was better to help him learn how to do it safely than to say no and have him get them and be unsafe with them. At that age, my rule was that he was to sit with me to cut. The other kids knew this and would alert me if he was going for the scissors. He set the tone for the other babies to follow.
LK5kids 04:43 AM 01-17-2013
Two other things I do is have dough scissors in with the playdoh. It is a great way to to introduce scissors. The older kids who have scissor control love cutting playdoh also. Right now I have actual dough scissors but any will work.

I also have crayola clay that never dries out and I have the same scissors in that box for 20 years! I used them because they were a little cheaper type scissor. They are almost all plastic with some metal. I never used my good fiskar kid scissors with clay.....but you could.

I also talk about the scissors being like an alligator....chomp, chomp!

When I taught preschool and worked with the 3's I would cup their hand with mine in the same position and that helped a lot.
CozyHome 08:45 PM 01-19-2013
I use the plastic craft scissors and start the children using them for practice at about age 2. Their hands have to be big enough to make them work at all but I find it takes at least a year of practice before they 'get it'. That's also why I start them dressing and undressing their outside clothes at age 2 because that takes lots of practice too. Same goes for all crafting and learning. It all takes lots and lots of practice.
MamaBearCanada 09:46 AM 01-20-2013
Thanks everyone. I do have plastic scissors in with the playdoh but I think I'll offer the scissors more often.
Tags:scissors
Reply Up