Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2yo Cant Choose Toys For Himself
DaisyMamma 11:41 AM 01-25-2013
This boy is driving me crazy. Everyone will be playing nicely on their own and this kid can't pick a toy for himself. He needs to go over to one of the other kids and take whatever they have. This goes on all day long and it doesn't matter what the toy is.
I tell him to go look for ***x toy, or show him another toy and he cries and yells no. If he does get said toy from another kid he will use it for a bit and then go take someone else's toy.

Any ideas?
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 01-25-2013
He is 2. He is doing this because he sees the other kids playing with something so he is doing what they are doing and needs the toy to do it....kwim?

They are in a sense modeling for him how to play with a toy. He doesn't yet understand waiting for a turn so he takes it.

I think you need to show him what waiting for a turn means and also show him exactly how to play with things and then hand it to him and say "Now you try".

He will get it in time but at 2 years old this is pretty common behavior as copying another person is how he learns to manipulate and work the world around him.

I would also encourage your other DCK's to say "Billy you cannot take this but I will give you a turn when I am done"

Then at that point you can step in and demonstrate how to play with something else and then hand it off.

When the first kid is done playing with whatever toy he had, you can say "Ok Billy. Johnny is done with the car so you can have a turn now"

Two lessons in one.

It is going to take time but the behavior is totally on par for a 2 year old.

Plus, imagine a toy truck just sitting on a shelf. Now imagine a similar truck being played with by another child who is driving it around and making cool engine sounds....which toy seems more fun to you?

See what I mean?
CozyHome 08:54 PM 01-25-2013
I have a one year old who is having temper tantrums when he decides another child has a toy he wants. It's simple. Sometimes I ask the child with the toy to give it to him and share. Sometimes I tell the baby he can't have it and has to go find another toy. It isn't rocket science. This is how I've dealt with the situation for years and it's always worked out fine.
DaisyMamma 04:43 AM 01-26-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
He is 2. He is doing this because he sees the other kids playing with something so he is doing what they are doing and needs the toy to do it....kwim?
yes
They are in a sense modeling for him how to play with a toy. He doesn't yet understand waiting for a turn so he takes it.

I think you need to show him what waiting for a turn means and also show him exactly how to play with things and then hand it to him and say "Now you try".
Good idea
He will get it in time but at 2 years old this is pretty common behavior as copying another person is how he learns to manipulate and work the world around him.
Right. All the other kids are also 2, but happen to be a couple months older so that's probably why Im surprised only he does this.
I would also encourage your other DCK's to say "Billy you cannot take this but I will give you a turn when I am done"
Good idea
Then at that point you can step in and demonstrate how to play with something else and then hand it off.

When the first kid is done playing with whatever toy he had, you can say "Ok Billy. Johnny is done with the car so you can have a turn now"

Two lessons in one.

It is going to take time but the behavior is totally on par for a 2 year old.

Plus, imagine a toy truck just sitting on a shelf. Now imagine a similar truck being played with by another child who is driving it around and making cool engine sounds....which toy seems more fun to you?

See what I mean?
Thank you.
Reply Up