Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Child Tracking GPS Device for Kids
Beth 01:07 AM 03-17-2010
Has anyone used or recommends a device that your child can wear or put in their backpack in order to keep track of were they are during the day. There is an article on this site about it along with information about cameras that daycare can install in order to check on the kids while at the center. I worry about my kids and just knowing that they're where they're supposed to be would put my mind at rest. Am I over reacting or is this something I should look into? Anyone used it?
tymaboy 05:36 AM 03-17-2010
My DS is a teen. His phone has a gps tracking system that we have used a few times. There has only been 1 time that we had to call him on where he was at. It ended up that it was puling the information from the tower across the river instead of the one here in town. It comes in handy when we are not sure when he will be home so we will pull up the info to see if he is still at school or on his way home.
Childminder 07:31 AM 03-17-2010
Our state just recently started enforcing a strict attendance accounting for subsidy day care children. It is a huge hassle, the parents have to call in the hours to match what I claim. I get that. My problem is that the parents for the most part are lazy and don't. Which means I don't get paid. My suggestion is a gps implanted under the skin on each child, at birth, then big brother knows where they are at all times. Or maybe they could provide us with a finger print scanner to scan them upon entry and exit.

I know that isn't what you asked I'm just irritated. Can you tell?
tymaboy 07:40 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Our state just recently started enforcing a strict attendance accounting for subsidy day care children. It is a huge hassle, the parents have to call in the hours to match what I claim. I get that. My problem is that the parents for the most part are lazy and don't. Which means I don't get paid. My suggestion is a gps implanted under the skin on each child, at birth, then big brother knows where they are at all times. Or maybe they could provide us with a finger print scanner to scan them upon entry and exit.

If I had to do something like that I would not be watching those children that the parents cant do what they need to. If I dont get paid the child does not stay in my care. If its a regular issue with the same family they would no longer be in care.
Childminder 07:49 AM 03-17-2010
In a perfect world it would be great to terminate but enrollment is down and my husband is out of work. It's a big hassle and I'm tired of hand holding but I do what I gotta do. If I don't get my payment childcare is suspended till I do. Just can't find children right now, they are dropping like flies around here.
mac60 09:10 AM 03-17-2010
I totally understand Childminder. Things are tough all over, and we have to deal with things we normally wouldn't. I put up with a pain in the butt family for quite a while, until I had the opportunity to replace them. But, I can tell you, if it is just the behavior of a child that is the problem......I would never get rid of them for that as long as I was paid on time each week, because when you let 1 child go for behavior issues......there is always anotehr one lurking around the corner. There are things I will tolerate and deal with, and things I won't, and sometimes we are not in any position to change things. good luck.
Beth 09:53 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:

I was asking about the devices from the article here https://www.daycare.com/story/mainstreet_md/index.php

It's not a phone gps, it appears to notify you if my child leaves the daycare or enters it.
Former Teacher 02:53 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Beth:
I was asking about the devices from the article here https://www.daycare.com/story/mainstreet_md/index.php

It's not a phone gps, it appears to notify you if my child leaves the daycare or enters it.
Maybe it's just me or the fact that it's been a LONG day but your question has kinda, for the lack of better words, irked me.

Let me get this straight, again it was a long day. You want a GPS system on your child or in your child's backpack just so you know where your child is at all times. I get that. However, if the GPS was in the backpack and your child took off without the backpack, what good would the GPS be?

Another thing that "irked" me was that yes I understand about being overprotective. You have to be nowadays. My mother is still overprotective of me and I am 36 years old haha.

Anyway when you choose a provider, whether it be a daycare or a home center, you are placing faith in that provider to protect your child at all times. Don't you think a GPS on a child would 1. make that child feel singled out? and 2. make the provider feel that she can't do her job?

If I sound nasty I don't mean to be. Your thread just stood out from the others today for some reason
Beth 04:02 PM 03-18-2010
"1. make that child feel singled out? and 2. make the provider feel that she can't do her job?"

No offense taken. You made two points here and did not even consider the "parent" in this. I as a parent am asking has anyone ever or considered using these devices. I see where childcare providers buy monitor systems why can't we as parents monitor our children with these GPS devices. If, I get relief at work knowing that my child made it to daycare and has not left the daycare, whom does it hurt?. It is peace of mind, and that is worth a lot in this day and age. Maybe I watch too much news and worry too much. Don't you sometimes?

I am considering buying the cheapest tracker subscription. I will register here in the future and let you all know how it goes.
Tags:2010, cctv, gps, monitor, tracking
Reply Up