Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3yr Old Not Walking...
pfund2233 09:32 AM 02-15-2012
DCB is 3 and broke his leg back in December and was in a Spica cast for 6 weeks and unable to really move at all. He has now been out of his cast for 3 weeks. He is still doing VERY limited walking and just crawles. The doc never had the boy do Physical Therapy! How is he supose to gain his muscle tone back! I asked my cousion who is a PT what I could do with him her and she wasn't comfortable with me doing anything as I am not a professional... I understand. I have ask DCM to please call dr and demand PT for DCB and she has done nothing. I dunno what to do. Honestly him not wanting or unable to walk has really limited what myself and the rest of the kids can do. What should I do?
jessrlee 09:37 AM 02-15-2012
Attach some money to it. Right now he is special needs. She needs to get it addressed or pay special needs prices
melskids 09:47 AM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Attach some money to it. Right now he is special needs. She needs to get it addressed or pay special needs prices
I'd be careful with that. Wouldn't that be discriminating?
pfund2233 09:50 AM 02-15-2012
Tacking on more $ isn't an option... this family has a hard time paying me as it is.
familyschoolcare 10:05 AM 02-15-2012
If parents are not consernd about the health and well being of the child in regaurds to this matter. Then stop talking about it from that point of view make it about his ability to be apart of the group. Tell the parents that if he is not able to be a full part of the group then you will not be able to keep in the group. tell the parents that when he had a cast on that was one thing because everyone thought that would be a temperary thing. That unless she takes DCB to the doctor to find out how long this is going to be going on that you will have to asume that it will be long term.
Hunni Bee 10:30 AM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I agree. And its not discrimination. If the OP's daycare is not set up to accommodate a 3 year old who cannot walk, then more money should be attached. She may have to order special equipment, etc and that shouldn't come solely out of her pocket.

But that doesn't even sound like the case here. This little guy needs medical attention that his parent and doctor are neglecting to provide. This may be a CPS case, but the bottom line is, the parent needs to talk to his doctor. I'd need evidence that she has before he would be able to return.
jessrlee 10:44 AM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I'd be careful with that. Wouldn't that be discriminating?
It's not discrimination to charge more money for special care. The op has to keep her ratio small enough to safely carry this child and any infants out in case of fire, has to have a stroller or wagon available for outdoor play, and has the wear and tear on her body lifting him around.

I would attach the money to the issue because if the mom isn't choosing to seek medical attention for her child out of parental duty, she might seek it if it starts to hit her pocket book. I'm sure you don't want the extra money, you just want a healthy kid.
Tags:3 year old, developmentally delayed
Reply Up