Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need a Listening Ear or Two.....
NoellesMama 01:31 PM 12-16-2013
This morning I came into my classroom to find my director waiting to give me an earful in front of my students and a parent. My director told me that I (a state qualified ECE teacher) am no longer allowed to speak to any parents because she has gotten negative feedback about me from them. She called me ignorant and cut my already part time hours in half as punishment! I am not even "allowed" to remind parents about bringing diapers & wipes anymore because I am "ignorant" and thats not my place. My kids and a few parents made up for her rudeness & unprofessionalism by telling me how awesome I am and how much they love me.

Im really considering calling it quits or doing home daycare. I try my best to give a positive preschool experience for all my kids and to do right by them. But this incident today really has got me thinking. She has refused to give me support for the behavioral problems I have had to deal with and maintaining adequate classroom materials.

Im typing a possible 2 weeks notice tonight.

Ugh...I feel so disrespected.
Thanks for listening.
itlw8 01:41 PM 12-16-2013
so sorry you have to work for someone like that. Looks like she wants you to quit so she does not have to pay unemployment. I wonder if you would have just cause to quit and collect unemployment as she called you ignorant in front of others. I would file and get parents names as witnesses
NoellesMama 01:42 PM 12-16-2013
Thank you. I still dont know the real reason behind all this.
Leigh 01:48 PM 12-16-2013
Before turning in your notice, contact your local Department of Labor to discuss your treatment and ask about your options. Let them know that you can't handle working in such an environment. If you quit and need unemployment, this can help you win an appeal (your initial claim will likely be denied, but you could have a better chance of winning an appeal if you discuss with them first).

There is NO WAY I would continue to work for that person.
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Before turning in your notice, contact your local Department of Labor to discuss your treatment and ask about your options. Let them know that you can't handle working in such an environment. If you quit and need unemployment, this can help you win an appeal (your initial claim will likely be denied, but you could have a better chance of winning an appeal if you discuss with them first).

This ^^^^^

I am thinking that perhaps this director does not like to hear anything bad and/or negative therefore she simply avoids.

....then takes it out in you.

NOT professional or appropriate at all.
NoellesMama 01:58 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Thank you so much for this information! I will be calling them in the morning
KidGrind 02:07 PM 12-16-2013
I would definitely document the incident.

I’d also give as the reason why you are giving two weeks notice.

You do NOT deserve to be on the end of that sort of professional retaliatory & unprofessional behavior. I’ve experienced that sort of behavior most of 2013. It’s 100% unnecessary.
NoellesMama 02:21 PM 12-16-2013
Thank you everyone! I have made sure to document today's incident and the other minor ones I have had.

There is no reason why she couldnt have pulled me into her office.
cheerfuldom 02:57 PM 12-16-2013
Sounds like this is financially driven. If she won't supply your classroom with materials, will not deal with the kids that have bad behavior (because that may lead to a parent terming) and is more than ready to blast you publicly after a parent complained (again, taking the parents/income side) then you would do best to just move on to greener pastures. what you described is not at all uncommon.
melilley 03:09 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by NoellesMama:
Thank you everyone! I have made sure to document today's incident and the other minor ones I have had.

There is no reason why she couldnt have pulled me into her office.
Exactly this! It was so unprofessional for your director to reprimand you in front of the kids and parents! I would definitely do what pp's said and call the Dept. of Labor. If your boss has a boss, I would definitely say something to them too. I don't know if you work for a corporate center, but many have an anonymous hotline that you can call.
NoellesMama 03:16 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Sounds like this is financially driven. If she won't supply your classroom with materials, will not deal with the kids that have bad behavior (because that may lead to a parent terming) and is more than ready to blast you publicly after a parent complained (again, taking the parents/income side) then you would do best to just move on to greener pastures. what you described is not at all uncommon.
She wouldnt even supply state required materials like gloves for diaper changes ect. I expect the occasional disgruntled parent, but her behavior today was so unprofessional. You're absolutely right, its time to move on. I'll be updating and emailing my resume to future employers.
NoellesMama 03:19 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Exactly this! It was so unprofessional for your director to reprimand you in front of the kids and parents! I would definitely do what pp's said and call the Dept. of Labor. If your boss has a boss, I would definitely say something to them too. I don't know if you work for a corporate center, but many have an anonymous hotline that you can call.
Thank you. I will be calling them in the morning. Even the parent who was there told me she was out of line and that he is very pleased with the care I give his children.
Josiegirl 03:37 PM 12-16-2013
That's horrible treating you like that! Did she even give you specifics or just went off on you in front of everyone? I'm so sorry she did that. Something better will come along you know. It's usually the way it happens. Good luck!
NoellesMama 03:42 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That's horrible treating you like that! Did she even give you specifics or just went off on you in front of everyone? I'm so sorry she did that. Something better will come along you know. It's usually the way it happens. Good luck!
I asked her what it was that I did/said to upset these "parents" and she wouldn't give me an answer. She just continued to tell me that Im not allowed to greet, inform, or speak to any parents period because I am ignorant and its not my place. She claims I offended a parent on Friday but wouldn't give me any real reasons.

Thanks for the encouragement.
MotherNature 03:52 PM 12-16-2013
So she's breaking state law by not providing mandated supplies? I'd be reporting that for sure. How unprofessional-hope you land somewhere quickly that appreciates your hard work.
Maria2013 04:10 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by NoellesMama:
This morning I came into my classroom to find my director waiting to give me an earful in front of my students and a parent. My director told me that I (a state qualified ECE teacher) am no longer allowed to speak to any parents because she has gotten negative feedback about me from them. She called me ignorant and cut my already part time hours in half as punishment! I am not even "allowed" to remind parents about bringing diapers & wipes anymore because I am "ignorant" and thats not my place. My kids and a few parents made up for her rudeness & unprofessionalism by telling me how awesome I am and how much they love me.

Im really considering calling it quits or doing home daycare. I try my best to give a positive preschool experience for all my kids and to do right by them. But this incident today really has got me thinking. She has refused to give me support for the behavioral problems I have had to deal with and maintaining adequate classroom materials.

Im typing a possible 2 weeks notice tonight.

Ugh...I feel so disrespected.
Thanks for listening.
no one deserves to be called ignorant, I would have walked out

NoellesMama 05:22 PM 12-16-2013
Thank you everyone for all of the tips and support. I was really upset about this because I do work very hard and go the extra mile for the kids and their families.
My boss has made some inappropriate remarks about me or my teaching style lately, but I just brushed it off to her just having a bad day or boredom....which is unprofessional as well. But this morning she showed her true colors and I will not work for anyone who thinks I am less than them and fails to treat me with respect.
mrsnj 07:17 PM 12-16-2013
Wow. You sure you aren't from nj cause my girl friend could have written that post. I can't understand how people like that keep their business open. You have to have some degree of management skills!
Tags:unprofessional boss, unprofessionalism
Reply Up