Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Really Trying My Patience!!!
Unregistered 06:10 AM 05-12-2011
I have a 3 year old DCB that I've had since he was 7 months old. In the last 6 months I've seen him go from my favorite (yes, I know, I'm not suppose to pick favorites) to the mouthiest 3 year old I have ever seen! (If my own child ever talked the way he does, she would be seriously reprimanded!)

Just this week:

DCD drops off and DCB now finds it amusing to cling to his leg not letting him out the door. (He used to throw fits when DCD left but that issue has been taken care of.)

He has been mean towards the other kids...i.e. If I am preparing lunch, the kids usually corral at the gate separating the daycare room and the kitchen. If DCB wants to stand in a spot that another child is already standing, he'll grab their shirt or collar and forcefully move them out of the way! He attempted this again this morning and I caught him.

He threw his fork half way across the room refusing breakfast, which is fine by me. (He normally loves pancakes.) You don't eat, you wait til the next meal or snack is served. I offered, that's all I can do.

The words out of his mouth are so demanding or hateful, I really don't know how much more I can take. It's like I've seen the Jeckyll and Hyde of this kid!! I made banana bread and a cake yesterday. I swear this kid called my name 60 times in 2 hours demanding a piece of cake! Then at snack time, he still wanted cake. I told him to sit in his chair at the table and he refused so I said, "No cake than." Of course, he sat right down.

I know the DCP's struggle with him sometimes and they really question whether they should add to their family.

My kids are all grown and I don't ever remember my son being this mean at 3. I don't understand why EVERYTHING has to be a struggle lately!!!

Please tell me this is just part of the terrible 2's and short lived!
ChaserT27 03:49 PM 05-12-2011
First I am hoping that the parents are on board with you and strictly enforce punishment when necessary. If not..any action of yours will be undone the minute he leaves.
Also, you may want to speak with his parents..has he been around another child that has this behavior? A DCG of mine is totally not herself after spending a day with her cousins. They are rough and spoiled to say the least and it takes a day or two to get her back to normal. So it is likely he has been spending time with someone with the same demeanor.
If not..like I said before while it is possible he is simply going through a terrible age (I call it terrible threes because with all three of my kids as well as DCK..it has always been age three for the worst not twos!), if his demeanor is not corrected every single time..it will continue beyond those years.

Another question, has he had any changes at home or with you lately? Have you added new children younger than him that require more of your attention? Has his schedule changed? Any of those can cause emotional issues with otherwise well behaved children.
Good luck!!
SimpleMom 07:16 AM 05-13-2011
Yes, terrible threes --NOT twos!! Argh. I don't know who came up with it being the two's.

Sounds like he's reaching for attention. Would it be possible to make special time for him for a bit here and there during the day? Especially right before making a meal or changing diapers, nap, that kind of thing?

Definately let him know that it not ok to act that way (sounds like you are doing that). Try to catch him at the times he behaving and give him the attention then.

I had a little one start this up once and nothing seemed to stop it. Finally, I looked at them from the "sidelines" and hugged them. They didn't quite know what to think at first, but ever since they've been better to redirect.
Tags:3 year old, bad behavior, clingy, punishment
Reply Up