Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Handle Maternity Leave
Kiki 08:31 AM 04-29-2012
Two questions here, one is regarding a current family, the other is regarding my own!

1-How do you handle maternity leave for families? The family that I have had for the longest in my care is expecting in August, and has let me know that yes, she does plan to return to work, and plans to bring the new one here along with her older daughter. She informed me that she only has 4 weeks of leave with her work, now here is my oops. I have poured over my contract all morning, and silly me, I NEVER put in a section regarding holding fees, I'm not sure why I didn't, probably just thought I'd never have a parent that was expecting another. (hardy har har I know) Any thoughts on how to handle this with her? I don't want to shock her, but I also don't want to be holding 2 spots for a month without having something to really guarantee their return on my end.

2-What about your own personal maternity leave? We are expecting our last addition towards the end of this year , and I haven't announced it to my families yet. I want to make sure I have everything set pretty firmly in stone before I move forward with an announcement to them, but I'm not sure on a few things.
How many weeks off is acceptable? Since I am in home, and don't plan on watching enough kids to have need of an assistant, the parents will obviously need to find back-up care during this time.
Has anyone ever done any form of fees during their own maternity leave? (Heck have any of you even had to take it while doing day care out of your home?!) Doing a fee while I'm on my own leave seems kind of...dirty to me, but I don't really know how others have went about it. Maybe the best way to do it, is to just make sure all of my parents are up to date on payments?

Obviously my mind is in overdrive, I'm starting to ramble! Any input would be great.
Up