Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And The Sickness Begins......Again
Christina72684 06:24 AM 08-25-2014
We've had issues with colds all summer it seems, especially June-beginning of August. Everyone's been healthy for the past few weeks so we thought we were good for a while. Then this morning I get a text from one mom that says her preschooler won't be here today, a call from an infant who has stuffy nose and gunky eyes that won't be here, a toddler is in the hospital with pneumonia, and 2 kids (infant and toddler) came in this morning with their moms saying they don't feel well. Awesome! Not the way I wanted to start my Monday/week, but I'm sure none of them had a good weekend either. At least we disinfect and clean like crazy here. And the kids are always washing their hands and coughing in their elbow. Is there anything else we can do?
Cat Herder 06:36 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
2 kids (infant and toddler) came in this morning with their moms saying they don't feel well.

Is there anything else we can do?
Not allow those two in.

A good exclusion policy is worth it's weight in gold.
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Not allow those two in.

A good exclusion policy is worth it's weight in gold.
Thats what I was thinking.

I have a really tough/tight illness policy and rarely have issues with sickness other than a few minor things here and there but nothing that wipes out a larger group at one time.

I also would not have allowed the two who didn't feel well to stay.
Christina72684 08:41 AM 08-25-2014
Their moms said that, but they've acted just fine. One preschool girl has been coughing a little, and 3-4 toddlers have runny noses but that's it.
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Their moms said that, but they've acted just fine. One preschool girl has been coughing a little, and 3-4 toddlers have runny noses but that's it.
I would've said to the moms upon them saying the child didn't feel good, that they shouldn't be here then.

I don't care what they act like...if the mom says the words, then I believe her and will not allow the child to attend.

Did you ask what they meant when they said they weren't feeling well?

I guess I would have said "Oh, what do you mean they aren't feeling well?"

Had a temp, threw up last night/this morning, whiney, had diarrhea, was at the Dr over the weekend?

kwim? I would not have been satisfied with just a "They aren't feeling good" type comment without some explaining.
BigLittleHomeDaycare 03:54 PM 08-25-2014
Here too! Pretty sure my brother/sister day care kids have hand foot and mouth. Their mom tried to point to my daycare. However, no one else has those issues. But they have other problems. Weather was bad here over the weekend so lots of heat and diaper rashes and end of summer colds. Also first time a mom admitted to me that she dropped off her dcd with a dose of Advil for breakfast. Ugh!
Controlled Chaos 04:13 PM 08-25-2014
I have a dcb mwf and on Fri as mom picked him up she casually mentioned he was throwing up all day Thursday. Wtf?!?! seriously?! I was so pissed. After reminding her of my sick policy she still seemed puzzled by my reaction. I am going to term this fam by Christmas...
Unregistered 11:04 AM 12-23-2014
These parents

So thier 2 year old was sent home on thursday she had a cough sneeze, lack of appitite pale skin, tired, and 101.5 fever.
Told child couldnt come back til monday and had to bring a note from a doctor (they have sent thier child multiple times sick and contagious before and the director took thier word on it so now requires doctores note)
They call that afternoon asking if she can come back friday with a note.

No she cant she can come monday with a note. Says doctor says it was teething.

So yesterday she looks even WORSE then on thursday
No note of course the director who opened trusted them and figured that over the weekend she should have got better.

She was breathing rapidly, coughing to the point of vomiting flem. After nap time i took her temp waitied 30 mins so they couldnt give the bull excuse they gave once where they say she was hot from naptime since temp was taken then.

Her temp rocketed to 103.6 under the arm (104.6 with added degree)
Parent was called.
I took it again right before parent got there it went up another 3 degrees too 104.9(with added degree)

Mom walked in and first thing she did was giver her childrenss tylenol!!! Obviously they are constantly doping up there child and sending them since they are off work by time the meds wear off typically.

Parent called today asking if child could come for the party since we are having a xmas party so i said yes WITH a note from the doctor and the party is at 3. Since thats what director told me to tell them.

Husband that called said oh well let me ifnd out if wife got that done...

Feel so bad that child should have gone to a hospital right away she would have had a seuzure i would have called 911 idc if i got fired temp at almolt 105 is ridiculous. Seizures can happen with temp of 104 She couldnt catch her breath pale as anything snit nose cough sneeze no appitite high fever and apparentkt eye drainage

Feel bad she wull miss the party but hopefully they finally take her to the doctors
Leigh 11:47 AM 12-23-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
These parents

So thier 2 year old was sent home on thursday she had a cough sneeze, lack of appitite pale skin, tired, and 101.5 fever.
Told child couldnt come back til monday and had to bring a note from a doctor (they have sent thier child multiple times sick and contagious before and the director took thier word on it so now requires doctores note)
They call that afternoon asking if she can come back friday with a note.

No she cant she can come monday with a note. Says doctor says it was teething.

So yesterday she looks even WORSE then on thursday
No note of course the director who opened trusted them and figured that over the weekend she should have got better.

She was breathing rapidly, coughing to the point of vomiting flem. After nap time i took her temp waitied 30 mins so they couldnt give the bull excuse they gave once where they say she was hot from naptime since temp was taken then.

Her temp rocketed to 103.6 under the arm (104.6 with added degree)
Parent was called.
I took it again right before parent got there it went up another 3 degrees too 104.9(with added degree)

Mom walked in and first thing she did was giver her childrenss tylenol!!! Obviously they are constantly doping up there child and sending them since they are off work by time the meds wear off typically.

Parent called today asking if child could come for the party since we are having a xmas party so i said yes WITH a note from the doctor and the party is at 3. Since thats what director told me to tell them.

Husband that called said oh well let me ifnd out if wife got that done...

Feel so bad that child should have gone to a hospital right away she would have had a seuzure i would have called 911 idc if i got fired temp at almolt 105 is ridiculous. Seizures can happen with temp of 104 She couldnt catch her breath pale as anything snit nose cough sneeze no appitite high fever and apparentkt eye drainage

Feel bad she wull miss the party but hopefully they finally take her to the doctors
Should have called an ambulance-THAT would have ensured she saw a doctor! Honestly, though, I feel for you that you don't have the authority to term these parents. I just can't and won't work with people whose parenting styles differ so much from mine. Mine might not be the right way, but when I think other parents are wrong, it makes it hard for me.
Unregistered 02:02 PM 12-23-2014
I would have but then being fired would have happened for sure. If she was having a seizure as a result of the ridiculously high fever then i could have called and kept my job im sure.

The parents would have thrown a huge fit for sure.

The director worries about them suing her if something happens considering how high her fever was something could have. I have never seen a child with a temp that high ever nor do i know anyone who ever let thier child get so sick they had a fever that high.

I am in the process of opening a home daycare so i wont have to get so upset over things i cant change because its not in my aauthority to do so.
Like late fees and late pick ups
Sick kids
Ect.
Tags:exclusion, illness policy, sick
Reply Up