Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Creating a Curriculum From Scratch!
Abigail 10:32 PM 08-15-2010
I want to create a curriculum from scratch and maybe you want to also. I would just start creating themes and google to find related activities to these themes. I would probably find a few books, a song or fingerplay, and an art/craft activity for each theme.

Ex. Bugs--do this theme for one or two weeks depending how well the kids enjoy it and how many things you want to share with the children.
A. Books--I know their are tons of books about bugs, lol.
B. Song/Fingerplay--The Itsy Bitsy Spider (Bonus, it's a song and finger play!) The Ants Go Marching In! (Can dance to this one-large motor)
C. Art/Craft--make a ladybug using paper plates, paint, black pom poms, and google eyes.

I just thought of that BUGS theme as I typed it, seriously, and I don't know many kids songs and stuff since I'm just getting started and waiting for a few books to arrive from ebay and amazon, lol. I would work in math with the art project by counting the poms poms for example.

My goal is to create many themes, like bugs, but have around a dozen pages per theme to choose the best activities for the needs of the children. I would make sure to cover at least some books, songs/fingerplays, and art/craft projects to have in a folder to qualify as a theme. All the pages for songs would have "Song" typed small in the upper right-hand corner, or "Song/Fingerplay/Large Motor" if something qualifies for all of those. Then I would know how many of each category I have within each folder.

If anyone is willing to share ideas I would greatly appreciate it! I'm really excited to do this!
Tags:art, creative, curriculum, music, scratch, themes
Up