Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Phrase To Teachers About Summers?
CraftyMom 01:38 PM 07-21-2014
I have recently had several teachers interested in childcare.

My payments are 52 weeks/year and is stated in my policies.

How do you phrase it when they ask if they can keep their child home for the summer and still have their spot available?

My answer is that I still require payment through the summer unless I can find a summer replacement, which is not likely and I wouldn't know until summer gets close. Other than that they can un-enroll and take a chance that a spot will be available in Sept but it is not guaranteed.

How do you say this nicely? Maybe the way I phrased it is ok?

I am not willing to lose any money to hold their spot. I will not take a deposit to hold the spot for the summer. I will not take half payment for the summer. It's full payment 52 weeks/year
llpa 01:44 PM 07-21-2014
The way you said it sounds just fine
Second Home 02:23 PM 07-21-2014
I think you have it written nicely . I would do the same thing .
Blackcat31 02:47 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
How do you phrase it when they ask if they can keep their child home for the summer and still have their spot available?
I usually reply:

"As you know this is my source of income, therefore I do not save spaces. The only way to guarantee space is by paying for it.

If you choose to withdraw from care at the end of the school year, I cannot guarantee there will space to re-enroll in the fall."

rosieteddy 03:15 PM 07-21-2014
I had teachers in the past and what I did was figure out my rate for 52 weeks then divided the rate by 43 weeks sept -june.ex I charge 100.00 dollars PER WEEK =5200.00per year.So I would take the total 5200.00 and divide by 43 weeks 121.00 per week .I would charge the parent at least 121.00 probally 125.00 .I would expect that school holidays and vacations to be paid without care in order to keep "teachers Contract".This worked out wonderfully for me I did not have the child on the three school vacations ,snow days or summer but was paid for except the summer.I offer summer two or three days at a summer rate or they can pay the first two weeks non refundable deposit to hold spot for fall. Their are ways around everything .
Crazy8 05:11 PM 07-21-2014
because I want summers off (or at least part time) I allow teachers to go part time for the summer. If they choose to go part time for summer they pay my full rate for the school year plus my (higher) drop in rate for 2 full days/week for the summer. If they prefer to take the entire summer off their rate for the school year is about $30/week higher than a year round full time client.
CraftyMom 05:45 PM 07-21-2014
Thanks everyone.

If I had one teacher I *might* consider allowing them go part time. However I currently have 2 teachers and just interviewed a third, so it would be a huge hit if they all decided to go part time.

I offered the higher rate year during the rest of the year to one teacher mom, she didn't like that idea. She will chance it when next summer rolls around.

The other will still send the child, but maybe one or two days less and still pay for the spot.

The third that I just interviewed doesn't want to pay at all for vacations, which won't work for me, so that will probably be a no go.
Rachel 04:27 AM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I had teachers in the past and what I did was figure out my rate for 52 weeks then divided the rate by 43 weeks sept -june.ex I charge 100.00 dollars PER WEEK =5200.00per year.So I would take the total 5200.00 and divide by 43 weeks 121.00 per week .I would charge the parent at least 121.00 probally 125.00 .I would expect that school holidays and vacations to be paid without care in order to keep "teachers Contract".This worked out wonderfully for me I did not have the child on the three school vacations ,snow days or summer but was paid for except the summer.I offer summer two or three days at a summer rate or they can pay the first two weeks non refundable deposit to hold spot for fall. Their are ways around everything .
So you charge teachers more money for less care? Seems unfair. Why would someone take this deal?
Indoorvoice 06:20 AM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
So you charge teachers more money for less care? Seems unfair. Why would someone take this deal?
The teacher's child is taking up a spot of a full time child who would bring in more money. It doesn't make sense financially for the daycare to do this. This is coming from a former teacher who gladly paid ft rates for my children. I didn't want my provider to go bankrupt because of me. Teachers have the option of finding a provider who wants summers off, but that is hard to find!
TaylorTots 08:13 AM 07-23-2014
Sounds good the way you wrote it there.

My policy is different than yours - I hold their spots for no fee but don't guarentee any drop in care available. I either fill them with school age or enjoy a lower enrollment (usually the latter).... or even do a few weeks of random drop ins to negate the income loss. I enjoy having lighter summer enrollment.... anyway... here is my policy from my Handbook:

"There is no holding fee or deposit for teacher’s children that leave childcare in May/June and return as school resumes in August. However, during the summer, the provider does not guarantee any availability of care for teacher’s children. If a teacher’s child needs care during the summer, the parent must have the day approved in advance with the provider to ensure availability of care. All drop in days of summer care of teacher’s children will be subject to the daily drop in rates of $10 for up to 2 hours of care or $35 for a full day (up to 9 hours of care). By signing the parent handbook agreement, teachers agree to notify Ashley’s Preschool & Childcare by July 15th of the current childcare year if their child is not enrolling for the fall. If the parent notifies the provider after July 15th, the parent is responsible for a termination fee equal to 2 weeks of regular childcare payment. If notified after July 15th, that the child will not enroll and the fee is not paid within 1 week of the given notice, the parent can expect to be taken to small claims court for the termination fee."
Rachel 07:49 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
The teacher's child is taking up a spot of a full time child who would bring in more money. It doesn't make sense financially for the daycare to do this. This is coming from a former teacher who gladly paid ft rates for my children. I didn't want my provider to go bankrupt because of me. Teachers have the option of finding a provider who wants summers off, but that is hard to find!
I know. But in the situation the provider is charging the teacher more money than other people are paying (over the year), but not allowing the kids to come in the summer. It would be cheaper just to pay the regular full time rate (for the teacher).

I guess I just don't understand teacher's who don't budget. I got paid 10 months the year because why should the district keep my money. It doesn't make sense to pay more money for daycare all year so you don't have to pay for July & August. It makes more sense to pay the same rate as anyone else just bring the child or not in the summer as you see fit. But hey, if it works for someone else it works for them
NeedaVaca 09:47 AM 07-24-2014
Because it can make both the teacher and the provider happy. The teacher doesn't want to pay over the summer, they pay a higher rate during the school year and don't have to pay over the summer but the provider doesn't lose money. The spot for the teacher is saved until Fall so the teacher doesn't have to find a new daycare. Otherwise what ends up happening is the teacher pulls the child out and the provider is out that money for summer or fills the spot with someone else and the teacher loses the spot. It's a fairly common solution that makes both parties happy. The teacher is not paying more than everyone else, it's all the same per year.
Play Care 11:15 AM 07-24-2014
I know. But in the situation the provider is charging the teacher more money than other people are paying (over the year), but not allowing the kids to come in the summer. It would be cheaper just to pay the regular full time rate (for the teacher).

I guess I just don't understand teacher's who don't budget. I got paid 10 months the year because why should the district keep my money. It doesn't make sense to pay more money for daycare all year so you don't have to pay for July & August. It makes more sense to pay the same rate as anyone else just bring the child or not in the summer as you see fit. But hey, if it works for someone else it works for them
It's very common in my area for teachers to NOT want to send their kids during vacations (it's one of the reasons I actively market to them ) I charge FT tuition from September 1 - June 30 - and nothing in the summer. I also do not allow them to send their kids in on snow days, minor holidays, etc. I tell them if they want that privilege they pay year round like everyone else. A day here or year that they pay for and can't use is small peanuts compared to 9 weeks of summer vacation...
spinnymarie 11:46 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It's very common in my area for teachers to NOT want to send their kids during vacations (it's one of the reasons I actively market to them ) I charge FT tuition from September 1 - June 30 - and nothing in the summer. I also do not allow them to send their kids in on snow days, minor holidays, etc. I tell them if they want that privilege they pay year round like everyone else. A day here or year that they pay for and can't use is small peanuts compared to 9 weeks of summer vacation...
I'm on this schedule as well, but I ONLY offer teacher schedules. My daily rates are higher than anyone in town, but overall they pay about $1000 less per year because I don't charge for holidays/breaks. It's very much worth it to me to have all the holidays and breaks off
Tags:assistant, summer, teachers
Reply Up