Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part-Time Programs and Hiring an Assistant?
Nisaryn 03:05 PM 08-22-2015
Hello ya'll. I have two separate questions here so I hope ya'll can answer one or the other or both of them.

1) I'm considering hiring an assistant next year after I have hit my 1yr mark and can expand to a large FCC. I'm not sure what all is required in the state of CA. I've gone to the websites suggested and it's SO MUCH JARGON that I have no idea what is heads or tails! Can anyone put it in laymans terms for me? I know this is asking a lot...I'm looking to maybe hire someone that can help out just for a few hours a week for now (about 6hrs is all for appointments etc.) and then up them to full time (20 - 40hrs) once I become a large center. I was also offered some help by a local mom who just wanted to make a bit of extra cash for just about 5hrs a week...but she would still be an employee right? So I would still need to register for employee benefits and such? I dunno, please help me out here. Which goes along with my next question...

2) I'm only considering doing this b/c I lost one of my infants (nothing horrible, they are military PCSing out of the area and will be leaving next month) so I have the option of taking on some preschool aged children as well instead of taking a new infant. I can have the 3 infants and 3 preschoolers. Sooooo I was considering offering a part-time three days a week preschool program. How has this worked for ya'll? When I say part time I mean like M, W, F from 8am to 12pm or so with the option of having them stay the rest of the day for regular daycare play hours.

Mainly I just really need some help with the assistant legal stuff. TIA, ya'll!
Thriftylady 04:00 PM 08-22-2015
Having never lived in CA, but having visited there I won't offer anything. The cost of living is outrageous there, and I can't begin to understand how anyone lives and survives there. Hubby won't even go there in the semi, because on .40 cents a mile, he can't afford to!
midaycare 04:05 PM 08-22-2015
I can answer to #2 - I teach preschool to everyone here above 12 months old. It's not an option. If you are enrolled, your child gets taught preschool. I do it every day from 9-11:30 am. I do preschool more hours than most, but I was born to teach. I tend to extend it to before those hours and after nap sometimes, too. I wouldn't if the kids didn't love it, but they prefer it to the free for all of just play based. My current kids, anyways. You will see that programs change all the time. I've been open about 2 years and I'm always changing and adjusting my preschool program.

Since I have varying ages I mix it up and do some things as a group and some things one on one. I use Mother Goose Time as a curriculum base, and add in ZooPhonics as a supplement, but often I use my own ideas instead of the ones provided.

As for question #1, if you have an employee, you have to pay taxes on that employee. If you are confused on that, I would refer to an accountant. I should add in ... If you plan to pay that employee more than $600 in a year. If you put that question in the "taxes" section, Tom Copeland can answer and be more help.
midaycare 04:10 PM 08-22-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Having never lived in CA, but having visited there I won't offer anything. The cost of living is outrageous there, and I can't begin to understand how anyone lives and survives there. Hubby won't even go there in the semi, because on .40 cents a mile, he can't afford to!
I've often had those very same thoughts. People do it, though! One of my dcf's moved to MI from CA and they were paying $2000 a month in rent on 900 square feet. 1 bedroom. Over here, in West MI, that would buy you a $300,000 gorgeous home on many acres or a small lake.

We paid $195,000 and live on 7 beautiful, wooded acres, .5 miles from Lake Michigan. I know we have crappy winters, but ... We can actually afford to live here and do a lot of other things!
Nisaryn 06:27 PM 08-22-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I know exactly what you mean! The only reason we can afford to live here is because he is in the Navy and we are here on military orders and live in military housing with all utilities covered (except internet/cable) otherwise we would NEVER choose to live here!
spedmommy4 07:32 AM 08-23-2015
The legal stuff is extensive here in California. Unless your employee is your minor child, you will need a workmans comp policy for them. Unfortunately, very few companies want to cover home childcare employees so I ended up with the state compensation fund. They have to cover you but they are pricey. ($800 a year for a part time employee)

You also have to register your business with the California Employment Development Department, get a state tax ID number, and pay employee taxes. I use my banks payroll service, and that keeps it simple. But, if I didn't have my husband and son pitching in as part time assistants, I honestly don't think it would be worth it here to be large in California.
CityGarden 07:00 AM 04-15-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
The legal stuff is extensive here in California. Unless your employee is your minor child, you will need a workmans comp policy for them. Unfortunately, very few companies want to cover home childcare employees so I ended up with the state compensation fund. They have to cover you but they are pricey. ($800 a year for a part time employee)

You also have to register your business with the California Employment Development Department, get a state tax ID number, and pay employee taxes. I use my banks payroll service, and that keeps it simple. But, if I didn't have my husband and son pitching in as part time assistants, I honestly don't think it would be worth it here to be large in California.
Could you have parents volunteer in your program without the workers comp policy? And if they were volunteering (co-op) style could that could toward your adult to child ratios for licensing?
Unregistered 09:57 AM 04-15-2016
A volunteer can't be left alone with the children in centers, fccs or co-ops. In co-ops, in CA, staff are always supposed to be supervising volunteer parents.
Tags:assistant, hiring employees, part time - curriculum
Reply Up