Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen
284878 10:09 AM 07-15-2020
I have parents supply sunscreen and I get a variety of types, brands and SPF. I know that the lotion type is probably the best one for coverage but the spray is quickest to apply (outdoors)

I had one parent bring a stick, which was the hardest to deal with.

This year one DCM has brought a SPF 30 where all the other families brought SPF 50.

Do you regulate what type, brand or SPF that is allowed?
DaveA 10:29 AM 07-15-2020
I supply sunscreen unless a DCPs have a medical reason for using something specific. I use a store brand spray.
Cat Herder 10:29 AM 07-15-2020
I provide to simplify the drama.
happymom 03:38 PM 07-15-2020
Aw I feel bad, I sent a stick thinking it would be the easiest to deal with! Maybe I should send spray instead Eek
e.j. 04:29 PM 07-15-2020
I ask for lotion and a stick for the kids' faces. I'm not sure why but the kids tend to wiggle more when I use my hand to apply lotion to their faces and I'm always afraid of getting it in their eyes. They don't wiggle as much when I use the stick and they don't rub the stick sunscreen into their eyes like they do with the lotion.
Cat Herder 03:51 AM 07-16-2020
Many places require the parents to apply sunscreen at home before drop-off.

Many formulations can last 8 hours or more.
tenderhearts 08:36 AM 07-16-2020
I supply sunscreen unless they prefer to bring their own, our state requires an spf 30 or more and we are not allowed to use spray. I prefer to use the stick on the face because it always seems if I put lotion on their face if they go out side and get wet or wipe face it gets in their eyes and it's so much easier to use stick on the face, ears and behind. I buy a stick for each child's face.
Ariana 11:50 AM 07-16-2020
Just a note that anything over 30 is not really true! SPF 50 doesn’t really exist.
284878 01:44 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by happymom:
Aw I feel bad, I sent a stick thinking it would be the easiest to deal with! Maybe I should send spray instead Eek
Stick might work for them but it just didn't work for me. I felt like it took forever and it was not going on evenly, so I had to go over the same spot more than once. I was also trying to apply it to a one year old.
CeriBear 06:05 AM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I provide to simplify the drama.
Exactly.

Most parents don’t care what type we use but I once had a parent bring in special sunscreen because they only wanted snowflake to use “the natural one.” No allergies just being picky. If mommy wants spend 25 dollars for a small bottle of sunscreen that’s her choice but I’ll stick to Coppertone for kids.
springv 02:44 PM 07-18-2020
Please watch what type of sunscreen you use on the kids! Our daycare has parents their own and especially now with the covid pandemic
284878 05:57 AM 07-19-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Please watch what type of sunscreen you use on the kids! Our daycare has parents their own and especially now with the covid pandemic
Why do I need to watch which type I use? What does spray vs lotion have to do with covid?
flying_babyb 02:20 PM 07-19-2020
see i prefer spray. I wish my parents would bring me a stick for the faces. I have all spf 50 and one child who has a prescription sun screen due to a elevated risk for skin cancer.
Cat Herder 05:16 AM 07-20-2020
In the summer, I use Neutrogena Dry Oil Spray. I have for well over 10 years without incident. It is broad spectrum SPF 70. Because of where I live I also use Off Deep Woods with DEET. When we come back inside everyone takes a quick bath with Johnsons baby bath and puts on clean clothes before returning to the playroom. I launder their clothing daily. I don't want the chemicals to remain on their skin longer than necessary and I don't want residues on our playroom soft surfaces.
Tags:sunscreen
Reply Up