Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Those Providers Who Have Assistants
Unregistered 01:34 PM 07-17-2010
Hello,

I have a couple of questions for providers who have assistants.

How many hours a day/week do they work for you?
How many children do you have in your care? How many children did you have before you hired someone on?
How much do you pay them?
Where did you find them?
What qualifications did you look for in an assistant?

If you don't have an assistant, when would you consider bringing someone on?

TIA!
JJPlaycare 11:49 AM 07-19-2010
I just hired a helper for the summer! I hired my 13 year old neighbor. He has only been helping me on outings and fieldtrips. We have swimming lessons for 2.5 weeks everyday and he has come along and helped with all the kids each day, I have really enjoyed having him! He also helps bring all of the kids to story time with me and any other outings we plan! I usually have between 8-12 kids a day! He has also helped me about 2-4 hours a day for outside time, because I have 2 one year olds that are running in two different directions on top of all of the other kids! I haven't used him a whole lot for this yet because we have been doing swimming lessons and going out and about instead, but come Aug I don't have many field trips planned so his hours will go to helping me outside with all of the kids! I pay him about $5.00 an hour and usually like I said use him between 2 - 4 hours a day! Usually averages out to be about 2 hours a day and adds up to me paying him $50.00 for the whole week! It isn't a whole lot of hours or money, but it works for him and he is my neighbor so no worrying about transportation either, has worked out wonderfully! I plan to use him each summer until he gets a job, but by that time his younger sister will hopefully want to help me and then there is one more younger sister after that, that hopefully will want to help me!! I will just go down the family line, it works and plus since they are my neighbors they know all the kids and all the kids know them - has worked out great!! Good Luck
missnikki 07:14 AM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
I just hired a helper for the summer! I hired my 13 year old neighbor. He has only been helping me on outings and fieldtrips. We have swimming lessons for 2.5 weeks everyday and he has come along and helped with all the kids each day, I have really enjoyed having him! He also helps bring all of the kids to story time with me and any other outings we plan! I usually have between 8-12 kids a day! He has also helped me about 2-4 hours a day for outside time, because I have 2 one year olds that are running in two different directions on top of all of the other kids! I haven't used him a whole lot for this yet because we have been doing swimming lessons and going out and about instead, but come Aug I don't have many field trips planned so his hours will go to helping me outside with all of the kids! I pay him about $5.00 an hour and usually like I said use him between 2 - 4 hours a day! Usually averages out to be about 2 hours a day and adds up to me paying him $50.00 for the whole week! It isn't a whole lot of hours or money, but it works for him and he is my neighbor so no worrying about transportation either, has worked out wonderfully! I plan to use him each summer until he gets a job, but by that time his younger sister will hopefully want to help me and then there is one more younger sister after that, that hopefully will want to help me!! I will just go down the family line, it works and plus since they are my neighbors they know all the kids and all the kids know them - has worked out great!! Good Luck
That sounds like the perfect solution! I must say, that raises some red flags. If any of your parents decide to mention that to the governing agency in your state, you may be in for some headaches. I don't want to be a Debbie-Downer, but in my state (California) you can hire a babysitter for your kids, but you cannot outsource or subcontract to a 13 year old for other people's kids. The problems lie in liability, income taxes, and licensing requirements. I think the way around that is to keep it under the table and keep him out of your ratio considerations- meaning he is NEVER alone with kids. He may even be considered one of your ratio as a school-age child, rather than help.

I re-read my post and I realize I may sound harsh, but I'm on the administrative side of the job, and that's just my thought.
MarinaVanessa 07:42 AM 07-20-2010
I'm in CA also and my sister has helped as an assistant since I opened but she was a "helper" until she turned 18 recently. Then I had to get her fingerprinted and tested for TB then added to my license to be able to leave her here alone with the kiddos. I'm not really sure if "added" is really the word to use here but I called licensing to notify them that she would be a fill in. She doesn't help during the day now because of her other job but when I have appointments, vacation etc. She'll stay here. Here in CA provider has to be here at least 80% of the time I think. I pay her $10 an hour when I can and if I have several kids. If I only have 1 child scheduled for the day I give her the days wage.
kpa0627 08:15 AM 07-20-2010
I just hired on an assistant. I was working 6:30-5:30 Monday through Friday and was feeling a little overwhelmed (also going to college). So, I hired someone to come in from 1pm to 3pm so I can leave to run errands (make copies for daycare, grocery shop, purchase daycare supplies, etc.) or work on homework or just take a nap! I pay her 8.50 an hour. She works 10 hours a week so I pay her $85 cash on Fridays. I am paying under the table. Although I did have her fill out all licensing paperwork and got a background check and TB test and all that for the licensing requirements. It has helped a lot to have 2 hours during the day to myself and for 1 1/2 of those hours the children are down for nap so it's easy for her. When she gets them up she just has to change diapers, put cots away and get them engaged in play until I get back at 3pm to have them sit down for snack.
Liliya 09:10 AM 07-20-2010
My daughter is my assistant,I got two more kids from the same families that I already had and I pay her 200/week this is what I get for two kids,she is 18,but I still do not know how to do taxes for her,she just started.
We have 8 kids.
In state of TN in Licensing rules person under 17 is a child.
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by Liliya:
My daughter is my assistant,I got two more kids from the same families that I already had and I pay her 200/week this is what I get for two kids,she is 18,but I still do not know how to do taxes for her,she just started.
We have 8 kids.
In state of TN in Licensing rules person under 17 is a child.
That's a good question. I used to work for my parents at their business up until I was about 20 and they didn't have to pay me. If they did I wonder if you are even still liable for taxes being as to how she is your daughter.
JJPlaycare 06:23 AM 07-21-2010
That sounds like the perfect solution! I must say, that raises some red flags. If any of your parents decide to mention that to the governing agency in your state, you may be in for some headaches. I don't want to be a Debbie-Downer, but in my state (California) you can hire a babysitter for your kids, but you cannot outsource or subcontract to a 13 year old for other people's kids. The problems lie in liability, income taxes, and licensing requirements. I think the way around that is to keep it under the table and keep him out of your ratio considerations- meaning he is NEVER alone with kids. He may even be considered one of your ratio as a school-age child, rather than help.

I re-read my post and I realize I may sound harsh, but I'm on the administrative side of the job, and that's just my thought.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I live in Minnesota and under our book of rules and statues: here are some of the definitions listed:

child- anyone under the age of 10!
helper - anyone over the age of 13 to assist the provider

Therefore him being of age 13 he, in my state is allowed to assist me in anyway I choose and not considered part of my ratio! He is NEVER left alone with the children, I am always there with him, I hired him to HELP me out and to have that extra set of eyes, ears and hands while we are out and about! My licensor is certainly aware of him helping me and of his age and everything is fine here in the state of Minnesota! Alot of the daycares do this in my area!! Thanks for your advice, but as you can see it is different from state to state! Megan
JJPlaycare 06:28 AM 07-21-2010
Missnikki, check this out and you can see, thanks again though for looking out for what is best for the children in care! : )

http://nrckids.org/STATES/MN/mn2.htm
missnikki 08:24 AM 07-23-2010
In that case, like I said at the beginning of my post, it sounds like a perfect solution!
California is very strict with those things, I obviously do not practice in Minnesota so I'm glad to know that you've looked into it.
This could be a new thread- unifying state requirements! (Without a union, of course)
Tags:assistant
Reply Up