Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Inspections on the Fourth?
Country Kids 02:44 PM 07-02-2012
Our inspector is calling people in our area trying to find out who is open on the Fourth so they can do inspections? I have never had anyone call me on a holiday for an inspection! Does anyone know if this is a new thing or what. I figured since they were a Federal Program they would also be closed. I was totally shocked-.

I think it will be hard for them to find people open. I'm wondering if they would really come like on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, Labor Day. I still can't believe they are working on the 4th!
originalkat 03:02 PM 07-02-2012
Our program sponsor does not come on holidays. They are closed. Plus aren't the food program visits supposed to be largely unannounced?
Country Kids 03:14 PM 07-02-2012
No, not necessarily. They actually are calling because they do not want to waste the time coming to providers homes if they aren't open, which makes sense. I guess the offices are closed but they can still do inspections which I had never heard of.
SunnyDay 05:50 PM 07-02-2012
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Our program sponsor does not come on holidays. They are closed. Plus aren't the food program visits supposed to be largely unannounced?
Ours does 1 unannounced and 2 announced per year.

I think it's crazy that they would be open on the the 4th!
itlw8 06:31 PM 07-02-2012
It is fraud stuff some providers claim they are open on holidays. So those people they have to inspect on a holiday to make sure they really are open and have children in attendance.
originalkat 08:03 PM 07-02-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
It is fraud stuff some providers claim they are open on holidays. So those people they have to inspect on a holiday to make sure they really are open and have children in attendance.
That would make sense.
Country Kids 09:03 PM 07-02-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Thats the thing though-the parents actually have to sign a sheet that the child was in care and then it has to be sent into the food program. I can't believe providers would be able to get that many parents to commit fraud with signing a sheet like this.

Also, they would have to sign in on the sign in/out sheets also. It seems it would get very confusing and easy to trip up on.
Meeko 09:00 AM 07-03-2012
My food program asks us what holidays we are open (I close all major holidays). If a provider states she will be open on a holiday and will be claiming children...then she must understand that she could get inspected, just like any other day. It leaves it wide open for fraud otherwise.
Springdaze 10:04 AM 07-03-2012
an agency like that, I would think they were off for the week!
Country Kids 10:36 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
My food program asks us what holidays we are open (I close all major holidays). If a provider states she will be open on a holiday and will be claiming children...then she must understand that she could get inspected, just like any other day. It leaves it wide open for fraud otherwise.

See thats the thing though because I called and doubled checked-they only have me being open one holiday-Columbus Day-so why call and see if I'm open on the fourth? It states I'm closed for everything else.

I can't imagine that many parents would actually sign the holiday food program sheet if their child really wasn't in care.
itlw8 11:52 AM 07-03-2012
unfortunately it does happen. I bet they have some providers open for holidays and on the audit they could not show they had inspected anyone on a holiday so they are searching for someone that will be open to comply with the audit.... I bet the office is closed it is the rep who will have to mess up her holiday.
jojosmommy 03:06 PM 07-03-2012
Crazy. I bet people claim days they are off but really who wants to work as a food program rep and go out and check on these people on a Holiday?

We are supposed to go online and notify the fp in advance of being off, including holidays.
PitterPatter 11:10 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Our inspector is calling people in our area trying to find out who is open on the Fourth so they can do inspections? I have never had anyone call me on a holiday for an inspection! Does anyone know if this is a new thing or what. I figured since they were a Federal Program they would also be closed. I was totally shocked-.

I think it will be hard for them to find people open. I'm wondering if they would really come like on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, Labor Day. I still can't believe they are working on the 4th!
Mine called today too and asked if I had kids tomorrow. She's rushing to squeeze in the final visit for the year. We get 2 announced and 2 unannounced each year.
Former Teacher 05:54 AM 07-04-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Thats the thing though-the parents actually have to sign a sheet that the child was in care and then it has to be sent into the food program. I can't believe providers would be able to get that many parents to commit fraud with signing a sheet like this.
Simple- people don't read what they sign. I can't even begin to tell you how many times over the years I would hand a parent a piece of paper and they would sign it without looking at it.
Reply Up