Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: OT-How many of you make dinner
Make dinner 29 80.56%
Don't make dinner 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-How many of you make dinner?
Country Kids 08:29 AM 08-07-2012
I read on here now and then about things people do after work. How do you manage to do things after work? Do you not really eat dinner or anything like that?

Dinner takes a big part of our night up! Like last night we double teamed and by the time we were done it was 6:15. We sat till about 6:45 then clean up takes probably another 30 min so your looking at close to 7:30 (we started at 5:30).

Our dinner routine is about 2 hours a night (no dishwasher either). So it leaves no time to do really alot in the evenings. Then once school starts forget it-with homework and sports also, our nights are shot.

We do try and go for walks but thats about it because I still need to get home and make sure everything is ready to go for the next day, shower and get to bed.
Meyou 08:55 AM 08-07-2012
I usually prepare dinner at naptime so all I have to do is throw it on the bbq, stove or in the oven. I start it cooking sometime after 4:30 so it's ready at 5:30 when I'm done for the day. We've eaten and cleaned up by 6:15. The kids do the dishes.
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 08-07-2012
My DH does ALL the cooking. When I get off work, dinner is on the table.

I clean up.
safechner 09:24 AM 08-07-2012
I start cook around 5:30pm to 6:00pm and it is ready for dinner by 6:30pm. On the weekend, we go out eat so I like to take a break for cooking on the weekend.
Crazy8 09:26 AM 08-07-2012
I cook most nights, but sometimes they are quicker and easier meals than other nights. Sometimes I start them during nap and just keep them in the oven till dinner time (if its not a meat that will dry out, etc.). Other times I just start them later in the afternoon. This month we have football and are out the door at 5:15ish. I have dinner on the table by 4:30-4:40, but I can't usually sit with them - DH does though. Its a sacrifice I am willing to make for an activity my boys love. During the school year its homework after school, dinner right after the dc kids leave and then off to whatever activity they may have. Dinner is not a 2-3 hour event here though. We eat in a reasonable time, but not super rushed either. We talk over dinner, we talk in the car, we talk during snack before homework. We manage to fit it all in. If DH can take them to practice I will load the dishwasher, clean up while they are gone. If I'm doing the driving I will just get everything soaking and clean up when the kids are in the shower later in the night.
itlw8 09:32 AM 08-07-2012
I try to fix 1 meal on Sunday to be used later on in the week. This week I made pulled pork. Unfortunately it smelled so good and I was busy we at it Sunday. LOl there were leftovers so we will have it Tomorrow.

Dh usually cleans up and I cook. We have th grand kids here most evenings so we keep the meals simple to be ready for the little ones bedtime at 8

I also prep some stuff on weekends to speed up dinner later on in the week.
lil angels 09:34 AM 08-07-2012
I hate it when dinner takes up my whole evening. I use my crock pot often fill it the night before and plug it in when the kids are eating breakfast. Or put something in the oven at snack so it's ready when I am off at 5. Or have something ready to go on the BBQ grill. My husband will put it on at around 430 and I am done at 5. I will have a couple of big meals a week then we can eat left overs a couple of nights a week.
SilverSabre25 09:43 AM 08-07-2012
Depending on the meal, I start cooking it between 4 and 5 and dinner's on the table by 5:30 at the latest so DH can leave for his second job at 6. I'm usually off by then right now and I'm LOVING it, because we get to eat as a family--something that's been rare in our life together!

I meal plan for a week at a time--though I'm trying to stretch that to two weeks at a time. I did that last week and did the shopping for two weeks and came in just over budget for one week! I hate the act of meal planning but love the effect.
daycarediva 09:51 AM 08-07-2012
because I make hot breakfasts & lunches, ESPECIALLY in summer, we usually do a cold/lunch style meal for dinner or toss something on the grill. Like yesterday we had BLT's with turkey bacon and tossed salads. It took 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to eat and 15 minutes to clean up. Still a substantial amount of time but not crazy! Today we are having turkey burgers (on the grill) with cucumber and tomato salad, and paper plates since we are eating outside.

I find myself jealous of my daycare parents who take off 2 hours early, pop in unexpectedly to pick up their kiddo and take them to the pool or beach. My poor kids.

I close at 6 but try to get daycare cleaning, paperwork and curriculum stuff done during the hour between pick up times, dinner is usually done by 7, cleanup included. Then we get an hour until bathtime and bedtime routines start.

I do take comfort in the fact that although crazy busy, atleast I see my kids all day! I feel bad for the parents who don't!
Crazy8 10:08 AM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I hate it when dinner takes up my whole evening. I use my crock pot often fill it the night before and plug it in when the kids are eating breakfast. Or put something in the oven at snack so it's ready when I am off at 5. Or have something ready to go on the BBQ grill. My husband will put it on at around 430 and I am done at 5. I will have a couple of big meals a week then we can eat left overs a couple of nights a week.
oooh I forgot about the crock pot!! I don't use mine as much in the summer months, but during the school year I use it a ton. LOVE it!! I have also tried once a month cooking - it was neat but I don't enjoy cooking enough to spend a whole day doing it, LOL!
Breezy 10:18 AM 08-07-2012
Either DH or I cook dinner depending on what we are having. Lastnight was a lasagna which I started about 30 mins before DCB was picked up. DH browned hamburger while I vacuumed and picked up the house. Dinner was in by 5:45 and done by 6:45. We ate and then DH bathed DS while I got his room picked up and his jammies ready. Then I did lotion, jammies, hair and teeth brushing while DH did the dishes. We watched a show together (the rest of it.... we had started it earlier).

Around 8:00 the tv went off and DH went to do his homework (he's finishing his bachelors degree in criminal justice) and I read DS a story and laid him down to go to bedby 8:30. He was asleep by 9:45 (transitioning to big boy bed so falling asleep is taking longer). DH cleaned up the last few things while I was helping DS fall asleep and DH and I were in bed by 10!!
AmyLeigh 10:27 AM 08-07-2012
I make dinner almost everyday. When we have activites in the evening, I use the crock pot or do something simple. Thirty minutes is all that is really needed to prepare a nice healthy dinner. Rachael Ray has made a nice career put of that fact! Lol.
mema 10:35 AM 08-07-2012
I do both depending what we are eating and what is going on in the evening. If the kids activities are at 5:30, they just have a bigger snack when they get home from school and we eat later. Right now dh doesn't get home until 7:45 and by the time he showers and cleans up, it is 8:15 so the kids do a bedtime snack while he eats. Come fall he will switch to working nights and will have to leave the house by 6:15, so we will probably be doing supper right at 5:00.
cheerfuldom 10:45 AM 08-07-2012
I make dinner most of the time. My hubby helps watch the kids starting around 4:30 or 5. We usually sit down at 5:30 and sometimes there is still one or two daycare kids still there. We eat when eat and I dont worry about cooking or eating at the end of the day when the kids are still here. This isnt really a feasible plan if you have a large group though.
SunflowerMama 11:05 AM 08-07-2012
I've fallen in love with pinterest and freezer crock pot meals. On the weekend we'll grocery shop and prep 5 meals in large ziplock bag. Stick them in the fridge the night before I'm going to use it and then just pop in the crockpot each morning. Then all I have to do is sometimes make a side (pasta, rice, etc.) And volia...we're eating a yummy dinner at 5:15/5:30p. Also no prep dishes to clean since we did that all on the weekend. We're usually done and cleaned up by 6p.
My3cents 11:32 AM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I clean up.
Bingo!!! My message is too short but I have nothing more to say other then Bingo!!!
DaisyMamma 12:02 PM 08-07-2012
During the school year my husband will get home and start dinner at 5:00. Most of the kids leave at 5:30 so we eat when they are gone. We can usually have it all cleaned up by 6.

This year I have 2 kids staying for dinner and leaving at 6:30, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Luckily they are family friends, so I can bathe my children after dinner while they are still here
My plan is to have the two SA do their homework at the counter while DH cooks. Hopefully it won't be too crazy! But if it works then we will have family time 6:30-bed
Lianne 12:28 PM 08-07-2012
I don't know how you people manage to cook a meal in 30mins or less. I haven't figured out that trick yet.

Today's dinner is fairly basic, fairly simple. I'm having cheddar bacon chicken ranch pasta. I need to cook the pasta and the bacon which I can do at the same time but will take 30mins. Then I have to cut up the chicken (will start that while watching the pasta and bacon) and cook that in the same pan the bacon was cooked in which will take 30mins. Next I add some flour and dried ranch dressing, coat the chicken, add milk and stir til bubbling, should take 7-8mins. Add cheese and crumbled cooked bacon, stirring until cheese is melted 3-4 mins then serve on pasta. That meal takes an hour and 15mins and thats if I get my s.hit together and don't forget ingredients or utensils in cupboards and drawers causing me to walk across the kitchen 15 times. Also, I haven't even cooked the vegetables (steamed broccoli) yet. It'll only take me 10mins to eat but clean up will take at least 45mins.

I'm single so I only cook 2-3 times a week and either eat left overs or pb&j the other nights
MsMe 01:47 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I don't know how you people manage to cook a meal in 30mins or less. I haven't figured out that trick yet.

Today's dinner is fairly basic, fairly simple. I'm having cheddar bacon chicken ranch pasta. I need to cook the pasta and the bacon which I can do at the same time but will take 30mins. Then I have to cut up the chicken (will start that while watching the pasta and bacon) and cook that in the same pan the bacon was cooked in which will take 30mins. Next I add some flour and dried ranch dressing, coat the chicken, add milk and stir til bubbling, should take 7-8mins. Add cheese and crumbled cooked bacon, stirring until cheese is melted 3-4 mins then serve on pasta. That meal takes an hour and 15mins and thats if I get my s.hit together and don't forget ingredients or utensils in cupboards and drawers causing me to walk across the kitchen 15 times. Also, I haven't even cooked the vegetables (steamed broccoli) yet. It'll only take me 10mins to eat but clean up will take at least 45mins.

I'm single so I only cook 2-3 times a week and either eat left overs or pb&j the other nights
I cook all of my bacon in the oven. You could start cooking the chicken while the psta and bacon were cooking...or put it in the oven to cook too! I don't liek thick cut chicken so I usualy cut mine thin or even pound it out so it has a quicker cookign time...is this an option for your recipe?
AmyLeigh 02:03 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I cook all of my bacon in the oven. You could start cooking the chicken while the psta and bacon were cooking...or put it in the oven to cook too! I don't liek thick cut chicken so I usualy cut mine thin or even pound it out so it has a quicker cookign time...is this an option for your recipe?
I was thinking the same thing. Or chop the bacon before you cook it and cook it with the chicken at the same time, same skillet. If the chicken is cut into bite size pieces, it would take no more than 10 minutes to cook. Just about the same time it would take to have the pasta water boiling, then make the sauce while the pasta is cooking. Bingo bango....30 minute meal! It sounds really yummy, though, may have to make it myself!
SilverSabre25 03:03 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
I was thinking the same thing. Or chop the bacon before you cook it and cook it with the chicken at the same time, same skillet. If the chicken is cut into bite size pieces, it would take no more than 10 minutes to cook. Just about the same time it would take to have the pasta water boiling, then make the sauce while the pasta is cooking. Bingo bango....30 minute meal! It sounds really yummy, though, may have to make it myself!
I was thinking something similar. I can't imagine chicken taking 30 minutes to cook in a skillet...I cook mine on high and it takes 15, tops, from frozen even.
Lianne 03:03 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
The recipe said to cook the chicken in some of the bacon fat. I used to cook bacon in the oven but had it catch on fire once so I won't do it again. This was the first time making this recipe. It was ok, not great, a bit salty. I probably won't make it again. I started cooking just before 4pm, finished at 5:45, am done eating a mediocre meal at 6pm and now I have all the clean up to do. Ugh, I hate cooking! lol
Country Kids 03:16 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
The recipe said to cook the chicken in some of the bacon fat. I used to cook bacon in the oven but had it catch on fire once so I won't do it again. This was the first time making this recipe. It was ok, not great, a bit salty. I probably won't make it again. I started cooking just before 4pm, finished at 5:45, am done eating a mediocre meal at 6pm and now I have all the clean up to do. Ugh, I hate cooking! lol
Sorry it wasn't that good!

I like to cook but I want to have the time and enjoy myself. Not just rush through. My husband likes to cook but he wants to start the minute he walks in from work and I'm not in the mode yet as sometimes I still have kids here. We will double team and he doesn't understand I can't go from work right to dinner. Its just not in my make up. I like to unwind for 30 min. or so before starting my "2nd" shift.
Lianne 06:33 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
I was supposed to cook the chicken in the bacon fat but I never thought to cook them together. Duh! I cook chicken in a skillet on medium or else the outside is tough and the inside dry. I wasn't taught to cook when I was a kid because my mom couldn't stand anyone in her way in the kitchen. She was so tired and done by dinner that she just wanted to get dinner over so she could send us to bed. I learned to cook by hit and miss through my teens and young adulthood but I'm still not very good at it and not being good at it causes me to not usually enjoy the meal (because I mess it up somehow) and then I'm frustrated because all that tim, effort and money is wasted. I'm definitely not a natural in the kitchen.
PitterPatter 07:54 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I clean up.
WOW what a good man! Give him an extra hug tonight!
SquirrellyMama 04:00 AM 08-08-2012
I always make dinner. Sometimes it takes a while and other times it is quick. Last night we had bagels w/cream cheese and fruit. The kids had TaeKwondo and I've found that heavy meals are hard for them to digest in time.

I usually have frozen spaghetti sauce or taco meat in the freezer for quick meals. I try to use my crock pot a lot also. I'm going to be making soup in two of them today. I also find that having certain meals on the same day every week helps with how much time it takes.

Since my kids are older they are helping with clean up more which is nice because we don't have a dishwasher and my dh doesn't enjoy dishes.

K
momofsix 05:55 AM 08-08-2012
Something that helps me: yesterday am I threw about 5lb of ground beef in the crockpot with a little seasoning and a bit of water. Took that out when it was browned and cleaned out the crockpot and put in about 5lb of chicken breasts with a little seasoning. Another few hours and they were finished.
Now I have meat ready to go for chicken lasagna, chicken salad, sloppy joe's, tacos and spaghetti (or whatever I want)! Since it was cone in the crockpot it really doesn't feel like work and I did it while all the dckids were here
EchoMom 11:16 AM 08-08-2012
Honestly, we eat out ALOT. I cook breakfast and lunch for daycare everyday 5 days a week, the last thing I want to do is cook a third meal and clean it all up each day. And my DH is no help at all when it comes to that. He can't cook because I want him out of the way during pick up time, otherwise he lounges on the couch looking very unprofessional or talks to the parents too much. Also, he can't cook, doesn't know how to cook anything, even though he gets home from work at 4:15 and I'm open until 6. Finally, he doesn't help clean up either. So heck no I'm not making dinner. Unfortunately, we eat out, get carry out, or get fast food just about every single night. Expensive! But seriously, DH is no help at all and I CANNOT handle cooking dinner on top of everything else I do.
Former Teacher 11:57 AM 08-08-2012
A hungry hubby is a cranky hubby! So yes I make dinner!
Tags:dinner, poll
Reply Up