Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>FCCERS Help Please
Leanna 03:17 PM 10-11-2012
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could lend a hand with the FCCERS. My state is implementing a "star" rating system that will be partially based on FCCERS and though I was trained to use it years ago, I have many, many questions & concern!
1) In (3) "Provisions for Relaxation and Comfort" item 7.2 required "soft child-sized furnishing" ...does anyone know if a bean bag chair counts? How about a small area with pillows? Does it actually have to be like a mini-sofa or chair?

2) In (16) "Fine Motor" can anyone give me some examples of "interlocking building toys?" I have Legos and Lincoln Logs but what else counts here?

3) In (17) "Art" item 7.1 requires "at least 3 different materials from 4 of the types accessible daily..." Does this mean 3 materials from each of the 4 groups or just 3 materials, one from each group?

4) (23) "Sand and Water Play" - I had always interpreted this to mean "sensory play" but is it true that only sand and water are considered here? If I have goop or birdseed or shaving cream, etc. in my indoor sensory table, does my sandbox outside then meet this qualification?

5) We spend a lot of time outside (up to 3 1/2 hours some days). I am wondering if some of these criteria can be met outside. For example, I am hoping to make a sound wall in the backyard. Would this count towards the music criteria?

6) Does anyone have a master list of all of the requirements regarding space and materials that they would be willing to share? That would make it so much easier to get the environment squared away and work on the other stuff.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Blackcat31 03:21 PM 10-11-2012
Welcome to the forum! Your status has been upgraded. You are free to post without moderation
Crystal 03:28 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could lend a hand with the FCCERS. My state is implementing a "star" rating system that will be partially based on FCCERS and though I was trained to use it years ago, I have many, many questions & concern!
1) In (3) "Provisions for Relaxation and Comfort" item 7.2 required "soft child-sized furnishing" ...does anyone know if a bean bag chair counts? How about a small area with pillows? Does it actually have to be like a mini-sofa or chair?
Those will count
2) In (16) "Fine Motor" can anyone give me some examples of "interlocking building toys?" I have Legos and Lincoln Logs but what else counts here? duplos, bristle blocks, waffle blocks, unifix

3) In (17) "Art" item 7.1 requires "at least 3 different materials from 4 of the types accessible daily..." Does this mean 3 materials from each of the 4 groups or just 3 materials, one from each group?at least three drawing items.....crayons, chalk, markers, pencils, paper

4) (23) "Sand and Water Play" - I had always interpreted this to mean "sensory play" but is it true that only sand and water are considered here? If I have goop or birdseed or shaving cream, etc. in my indoor sensory table, does my sandbox outside then meet this qualification? sand and water only

5) We spend a lot of time outside (up to 3 1/2 hours some days). I am wondering if some of these criteria can be met outside. For example, I am hoping to make a sound wall in the backyard. Would this count towards the music criteria? yes, they can be counted outdoors

6) Does anyone have a master list of all of the requirements regarding space and materials that they would be willing to share? That would make it so much easier to get the environment squared away and work on the other stuff. unfortunately I do not, but good idea

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
I replied in bold above.
Leanna 03:34 PM 10-11-2012
Thanks a bunch! That helps a lot. I was getting a little bogged down in the manual. I am trying to meet the requirements without overwhelming the children (or me!) with "stuff" and still have a visually appealing playroom. If I ever figure all this out maybe I will make that master list lol !
MissAnn 03:52 PM 10-11-2012
It doesn't have to be sand...but it has to be something scoopable and pourable. Bird seed is fine as long as it's not a keep out of reach item. At my last assessment they asked what was in my birdseed. Actually, mine is hamster food. I would keep the list of ingredients. Moon sand would not count.
Heidi 04:20 PM 10-11-2012
I know Crystal is the expert here...I would defer. However, I know each rater looks at it slightly differently.

My techical consultant said No, it does not have to be sand and water indoors. However, it can't be anything that is considered "food" because we don't want to give children the impression that we play with food while others are hungry. It also can't be anything that says "keep out of reach of children"...so don't use shaving cream.

It can get really tricky, because I was told on more than one occasion to do what I thought was best (use my own judgement? ) on things, but that I might not want to do xx or xx "while the observer is here". Yeah....
Crystal 04:28 PM 10-11-2012
It is questionable on the sand/water and yes, every assessor does look at it differently. However, to be safe, I would use sand, as MOST assessors insist it MUST be sand

The FCCERS is really hard to score each indicator because there isn't an "All About FCCERS" book like there is for the ECERS and ITERS....I LOVE those books because they answer every question an assessor may have when scoring the indicators. I hope that they publish an all about fccers book soon, because it would make it easier and each assessor would KNOW that it doesn't HAVE to be sand, etc.
Heidi 04:34 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It is questionable on the sand/water and yes, every assessor does look at it differently. However, to be safe, I would use sand, as MOST assessors insist it MUST be sand

The FCCERS is really hard to score each indicator because there isn't an "All About FCCERS" book like there is for the ECERS and ITERS....I LOVE those books because they answer every question an assessor may have when scoring the indicators. I hope that they publish an all about fccers book soon, because it would make it easier and each assessor would KNOW that it doesn't HAVE to be sand, etc.
Thanks Crystal...I knew you were the FCCER's guru here!

Personally, This is one area I cannot bend on. FCCER's or not, so I'd have to take a lower score in that area.

I have sand and water outside only (on the front porch, even). I honestly, truly, do not believe the children are going to grow up unfullfilled somehow because they were denied water and sand IN my house.

In principle, I would love to do it. In practice, I have beautiful hickory floors that already take a beating, and it's just not going to happen here!
Crystal 05:27 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Thanks Crystal...I knew you were the FCCER's guru here!

Personally, This is one area I cannot bend on. FCCER's or not, so I'd have to take a lower score in that area.

I have sand and water outside only (on the front porch, even). I honestly, truly, do not believe the children are going to grow up unfullfilled somehow because they were denied water and sand IN my house.

In principle, I would love to do it. In practice, I have beautiful hickory floors that already take a beating, and it's just not going to happen here!
I have conducted well over 100 assessments.....I ALMOST have them memorized
Heidi 07:50 PM 10-11-2012
:
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I have conducted well over 100 assessments.....I ALMOST have them memorized

Reply Up