Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>13 month old biter
NiNi.R. 12:15 PM 05-31-2011
Have any of you had a little biter? and how did you handle it?

DCG started randomly biting the other DCKs. I was changing a diaper and heard my 14 month old DKG screaming and crying at the top of her lungs. When I turned around my 13 month old DCG had her pinned down and was biting her. She had bit hard enough that it's bruised and had I not caught it when I did it probably would have drew blood. I've talked to the mom about it. DCM has taken it very seriously and asked me to isolate the child for awhile when she does this. (example sit her in the high chair, or place her in pnp). DCM and I are kind of at a loss on how to handle it. Any suggestions?
cheerfuldom 12:23 PM 05-31-2011
Thats the only thing I know to do as well. Unfortunately it was my own child that was the most recent biter but some careful supervising for a few weeks nipped it in the bud. My friend had a biter at her daycare that they isolated for over 6 months. He was always in view but would eat while the other kids played and vice versa and also had his own play area that was a super yard baby gate thing. Both of these kids were toddlers as well.
SilverSabre25 01:12 PM 05-31-2011
With one that young, I would isolate any time you can't be right there to stop her if she starts to bite--such as diaper changes, pick ups, whatever. The rest of the time, keep an eagle eye on her. If she does bite, or even if she tries, get right in her face and say in that "I'm DEAD serious" tone: "NO BITE FRIEND!" with the frowniest face you can muster up. She'll get the tone and face more than the words, most likely, at this age.
texascare 10:15 AM 06-01-2011
i am going through this right now and the ladies here have given me some great advice! I shadow the biter as much as possible but when I have to leave the room to throw out a diaper or get a bottle, the biter goes in a octagon enclosure that has toys in it. She stays until I get back. She is a bad biter too. Even bites at home. Dad pops her on the butt and puts her in time out, but he told me the other day that when mom got bit she "tried" to pop her on the butt and felt so bad that she started to cry and called him.....I suggest sectioning him/her off from everyone else. Shadow the child.
Tags:biting
Reply Up