Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Providers - Holding Fees For An Opening
kidsncats 03:16 PM 07-09-2019
Do any of you charge a holding fee apart from a deposit for infant openings that are immediate but the family doesn't need care for several months into the future?

I am considering doing this myself because parents are looking for infant openings months before the baby has been born and holding these openings for an extended period doesn't seem fair to me for obvious reasons.
Michael 08:24 PM 07-09-2019
Here is s similar thread that may help: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88418
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 07-10-2019
Originally Posted by kidsncats:
Do any of you charge a holding fee apart from a deposit for infant openings that are immediate but the family doesn't need care for several months into the future?

I am considering doing this myself because parents are looking for infant openings months before the baby has been born and holding these openings for an extended period doesn't seem fair to me for obvious reasons.
For me, if a space is open and available I charge full rate for it. No matter if the space is used or not. Not MY issue (in regards to actually using or saving the space).

If a family wants a space that isn't available yet, I would charge a deposit for the space. Deposits are applied to the FINAL two weeks of care or are simply forfeited if the family chooses not to take the space once it becomes available.

The only thing I hold is babies. I do not hold spaces.

It's either a deposit for an upcoming space or it's payment in full for an open space no matter what the actual start date is.

I understand that parents of infants are looking in advance, sometimes really far in advance but I just can't make that part of this job my responsibility. My goal is income to support my family so I have to have policies that protect me/mine. I won't lose money so someone else can save money.

Hope that makes sense.
Ariana 11:40 AM 07-10-2019
I do as BlackCat does as well. The only time I “hold” a space is if my space is not actually free and open until they want to start. Otherwise my space is open and it is first come first serve. They can pay for the space or move along. Most move along, which is fine for me! I usually say “full payment is required to hold the space. If this is not an option for you, please check back closer to the time to see if the opening is still available. I usually hold out for a great family so you never know”.
AmyKidsCo 01:37 PM 07-10-2019
ITA with BlackCat.

If the space is available they need to pay full rate to hold it. Around here infant openings are in such high demand that I could easily find another family to fill the space.

If the space isn't available yet but they want to enroll early they need to pay the enrollment fee and first week's tuition to hold it. If the space is more than a month in the future I'd make them pay the last 2 weeks payment ahead of time too. (Usually that's due within the first month of attendance.)

I've NEVER had a good outcome holding a spot for free.
Tags:holding spot - fee, infant - holding fee
Reply Up