Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lesson Learned
DaycareMomma 03:26 AM 01-20-2012
I had a daycare mom take her son in Monday for possible pink eye. She told me the dr. said it may or may not be pink eye but she was going to treat it anyways. Well fastforward to about an hour ago, I wake up and my eyes are matted shut and my right eye looks like someone punched me.... I have fricken pink eye...

Talk about a massive lesson learned.... So I text that mom and told her I'd be closed today... We'll see what she has to say about that one... Gosh, sometimes I can be such an idiot. I should have NEVER let that kid back here without a clean bill of health!
godiva83 05:05 AM 01-20-2012
Pink eye/ conjunctivitis is so so contagious.

now that they have the polysporon eye drops to treat available at the drugstore - they work very well.

Good luck, happy sanitizing
MN Mom 05:16 AM 01-20-2012
It's going around here in S. MN. My son was sent home on Friday for it, and my daughter has had it for the past 3 days with zero improvement. I just found out about the polysporin drops via a google search (thank goodness because that means no trip to the doctors for such a common illness). I was going to call the doc and make an appointment today, but with the amt of kids going around with it, they probably would have just sent in a prescrip. The prescription drops are MEGA spendy though, if you don't have a good insurance plan. The last bottle I got (all 3mL's worth) cost me 120 bucks
awestbrook713 05:18 AM 01-20-2012
I had a mom call me one time and ask if her daughter could stay with me for the rest of the day because the school was sending her home with possible pink eye, I almost laughed at her over the phone and said no I can't have her here with the possibility of infecting all the other kids or myself. Sorry you got it, but hey atleast its friday if you get the medicine for it you can be back open monday!!
Childminder 05:33 AM 01-20-2012
Nice to find out about the drops otc. That is a big savings for us without insurance.
Crazy8 05:45 AM 01-20-2012
so he came in with it on Monday?? I was going to say you probably would have gotten it anyway because its so contagious but if it started over the weekend and she took him to the dr. Monday you probably would have been safe if he didn't come in. Gotta stick to the policy - 24 hours on meds before returning!!!!

On a side note, I bought those similasan(sp?) drops once and they didn't work at all - ended up calling dr. and getting a prescription and cleared it up almost instantly!
DaycareMomma 05:50 AM 01-20-2012
It was my fault for allowing him back without a firm diagnosis. I will admit that.

I am in SW Minnesota and its running wild around here... That dcm just texted me and said her son woke up with his eye swollen shut... What ticks me off is this, the drops were 2 drops in both eyes, every 2 hours for the first 2 days... Well she got the drops Monday afternoon, and by noon yesterday, the drops were gone! I was getting them in his eyes, yes he was fighting but I got them in still, and she said her, her husband and their daughter had to fight him to get them in, so they maybe only got one drop in each eye each time and in the process a bunch leaked.... What a fricken waste of the drops!!!

So now she tells me, "I guess now I'll have to see if I can get him in for the third time. What a waste of my money I was saving for other things... I wish this could just wait til his 1 year check up!" Sorry sweetheart but not happening!
Springdaze 06:28 AM 01-20-2012
I have a few bottles left over from a time before. If i even suspect one of MY kids has anything, "come here hunny!"
countrymom 06:31 AM 01-20-2012
I have those drops too (i shop in the states alot) and they are really good.
DaycareMomma 06:43 AM 01-20-2012
I have started drops that the dr. gave me when my son had pink eye a while back. I will have to look into those other drops that are otc.
Sunshine44 10:14 AM 01-20-2012
Why are they taking him BACK to the doctors? If my child had pink eye and the drops ran out, I'd just call the doc and have them call in another prescription...

Sometimes I just call and say they have yeast infection, call it in...and they do or they have pink eye...they call in the drops.
DaycareMomma 10:41 AM 01-20-2012
I told her to just call them and she got huffy with me... so thats when I throw my hands up and say ok you do what you need to do.

She HATES taking ANY time off for her kids. Her son had a NASTY cough a few weeks ago, it really sounded bad and I told her a few times that she should probably take him in and she kept telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about and that it was just because he was teething! Then after I put my foot down and told her he wasn't allowed back until he seen a dr. she said "Well I suppose I should take him in, he was around a kid a few days ago that has RSV."
cheerfuldom 11:27 AM 01-20-2012
okay so I guess I don't understand why you even let this whole thing happen (him coming after a possible diagnosis of pink eye) when you have past experience knowing that she does not want to deal with his illness in any way and is not above lying or denying in order to stall taking him to the doctor. I hope you learned your lesson. No more suggestions and "nice guy".....just send him home and make her deal with it on the first hint of illness.

hope you feel better soon!!
DaycareMomma 11:45 AM 01-20-2012
I guess I was always forgiving and ok with everything because she was my only family and I couldn't afford to lose her, but this week I started a new family and cannot afford to risk the new family getting sick at all....

It is definately a big lesson learned for me!
Tags:conjunctivitis, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy, pink eye, pink eye policy
Reply Up