Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Broken Computer Write Off
lovemykidstoo 12:01 PM 01-17-2019
So one of my darlings spilled my pop that was next to my laptop ( I know I learned my lesson). So I need a new keyboard on it and thankfully for that and labor it's only $65. Since it was a daycare child that spilled it, can I write that 100% off as an expense?
Leigh 03:05 PM 01-17-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So one of my darlings spilled my pop that was next to my laptop ( I know I learned my lesson). So I need a new keyboard on it and thankfully for that and labor it's only $65. Since it was a daycare child that spilled it, can I write that 100% off as an expense?
I had a DCM smash into my brand new grill in my driveway (pushed it into the garage door frame a messed that up pretty good, too). I wasn't able to write off because the grill wasn't used for daycare, even though the damage was 100% BECAUSE of daycare.

As far as the keyboard, I replaced my own-it was SUPER easy, and all I had to pay for was the keyboard ($23 from Amazon). You could save a little there.
lovemykidstoo 06:52 PM 01-17-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I had a DCM smash into my brand new grill in my driveway (pushed it into the garage door frame a messed that up pretty good, too). I wasn't able to write off because the grill wasn't used for daycare, even though the damage was 100% BECAUSE of daycare.

As far as the keyboard, I replaced my own-it was SUPER easy, and all I had to pay for was the keyboard ($23 from Amazon). You could save a little there.
My laptop is used quite a bit for my daycare, does that make a difference? From KidKare logging my food program food, attendance, daycare facebook page, searching for crafts and recipes?
Josiegirl 01:56 AM 01-18-2019
Not to hijack but I had to replace 2 ceiling fans due to the dcks breaking them. Can I deduct the cost of those? If the dcks hadn't broken them, they'd still be hanging on my ceiling.
I do not understand why something that is broken by the dc, can't be 100% covered, whether it's used by dc or not.
TomCopeland 02:55 PM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Deduct 100% of the cost.
TomCopeland 03:16 PM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Not to hijack but I had to replace 2 ceiling fans due to the dcks breaking them. Can I deduct the cost of those? If the dcks hadn't broken them, they'd still be hanging on my ceiling.
I do not understand why something that is broken by the dc, can't be 100% covered, whether it's used by dc or not.
Deduct 100% of the cost.
284878 12:19 PM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Gascoigne:
Ehm, I am not that sure about it actually. How have you done in the end?! As I actually find arguments for both, writing it off as an expense, and not being able to do that.
I'm not sure who you're trying to reply to but Tom Copeland is day care tax attorney and he is 99.9% right and what we can and cannot deduct.
TomCopeland 02:21 PM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Gascoigne:
Ehm, I am not that sure about it actually. How have you done in the end?! As I actually find arguments for both, writing it off as an expense, and not being able to do that.
If it's "ordinary and necessary" to have a ceiling fan in your business, then you can deduct its repair.
Tags:deduction - computer, depreciation - computer, due diligence, write offs
Reply Up