Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do We Handle Meals at Daycare?
Unregistered 07:43 PM 01-02-2010
I am starting a daycare and am going to be serving breakfast and lunch our local daycare doesn't do that stating the reason that they don't have a nutritionist on staff. Do I have to have one to be able to serve meals, I don't have a problem getting my degree, but wouldn't be able to do it right away, and want to get started with this immediantly.
[email protected] 06:50 AM 01-03-2010
I guess it depends on where you are. Im in indiana, been licensed for 20 yrs,.. feed the kids and am not now nor do I forsee ever getting a nutritionalist 'degree'.
GretasLittleFriends 07:46 AM 01-03-2010
I offer care 24/7, so I serve breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner and evening snack. I, as an in-home daycare in Minnesota, am NOT required to have a nutritionist. Licensing didn't seem too picky about what I fed the children either.

I am on the US food program and they are a bit more picky about what I feed the children. Nothing too big of a deal. For example we live in a very rural area and everyone here hunts to fill the freezer, not so much for the sport of it. However, I am not allowed to feed the children any sort of wild game or fish because it wasn't processed at a USDA approved facility. Of course we could take our venison in, pay extra for that, just easier not to feed it to the kids. Once we start raising chickens the dc kids can eat the eggs, but not the poultry, again because we're not a USDA approved butchering facility.

Another one that gets me is that donuts count towards the bread/grain group as an acceptable breakfast and/or snack item on the food program, yet popcorn doesn't qualify. I understand popcorn has very little nutritional value, but personally I'd rather have my own kids eat a handful of popcorn as opposed to a donut. My food program lady did tell me, just because a food doesn't qualify for the program doesn't mean I can't feed it to them. For example, for snack I could offer the kids popcorn, hard cheese and 100% grape juice. I meet the needs with the cheese and the grape juice.
Carole's Daycare 09:17 AM 01-05-2010
Most states have nutrition help for licensed daycares through the Food Program. Here in MN if you obtain a couple hours of training(provided by the food program for free) and adhere to some pretty basic guidelines you receive reimbursement for a large portion of your food expenses. You simply provide food complies with basic nutrition guidelines (milk for lunch, fruits and veges, etc) and maintain clean sanitary and appropriate meal prep and serving practices. The county licensor should have some information on available food program sponsors - contact them and they can assist you further. Children are in care up to 10 hs a day- they have to eat. I serve breakfast lunch and snacks, and receive from $500 to $700 reimbursement towards food costs, and being on the food program is a selling point for your daycare, because parents know it means you serve nutritious food and have safe food handling practices. As a mom, I would never ever take my child to a daycare not on the food program.
In terms of logistics, at least in the beginning choose things that cook easily, like chicken nuggest & fries bake in 15-20 mn on a cookie sheet- served with milk, bread, and fruit or vege is easy & quick to prepare with kids around. As you become more comfortable with your routines and the kids in your care you'll feel better about it.
momofboys 07:49 PM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
Most states have nutrition help for licensed daycares through the Food Program. Here in MN if you obtain a couple hours of training(provided by the food program for free) and adhere to some pretty basic guidelines you receive reimbursement for a large portion of your food expenses. You simply provide food complies with basic nutrition guidelines (milk for lunch, fruits and veges, etc) and maintain clean sanitary and appropriate meal prep and serving practices. The county licensor should have some information on available food program sponsors - contact them and they can assist you further. Children are in care up to 10 hs a day- they have to eat. I serve breakfast lunch and snacks, and receive from $500 to $700 reimbursement towards food costs, and being on the food program is a selling point for your daycare, because parents know it means you serve nutritious food and have safe food handling practices. As a mom, I would never ever take my child to a daycare not on the food program.
In terms of logistics, at least in the beginning choose things that cook easily, like chicken nuggest & fries bake in 15-20 mn on a cookie sheet- served with milk, bread, and fruit or vege is easy & quick to prepare with kids around. As you become more comfortable with your routines and the kids in your care you'll feel better about it.
I do not participate in the food program & I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I would never serve doughnuts or fries to the children I care for. So just being on the food program doesn't ensure healthy food IMO! I always serve a fruit & vegie at lunch & very rarely have ever served sweets. I'm just not big into processed foods, we eat lots of fresh fruits for snacks or packaged raisins & occasionally some crackers.
mac60 03:32 AM 01-06-2010
Because a provider is not on the food program, does NOT mean that they do not serve wholesome meals. I have always been praised for the meals I feed my dc kids. I too buy very little processed ready to serve food.
Tags:breakfast, dinner, food program, lunch, meals, menu, menus, nutritionist
Reply Up