Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Daycare Member

Talking Cost Effective Meals - New Ideas?

I didnt see this in any recent threads so I wanted to start one. I love switching up our monthly menus, I am looking for some new ideas. I was thinking we could all share a few of our dc favorites.

Here is my favorite as well as my DC Kiddos Favorite

Mini Meats

I make a batch of meatloaf but place them in muffin tins for the perfect portion size. Kids love them!! They also bake in a shorter time. I also add in frozen mixed veggies to these. It gets the veggies in and they really dont notice.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 AM

It's that time of year when soups really hit the spot (getting colder).

Start out with a cheaper cut of meat, and put it in the crock pot overnight with seasonings of your choice. Cook all night long on low. To help tenderize, you can add a can of Coke or some Molasses or citrus juice.

First thing after breakfast, tear up meat into small pieces (it will fall apart) and toss it in a large stewpot with taters, carrots, corn, peas, green beans, chopped onions, mushrooms, etc. Let the whole concoction simmer on low all day....good for lunch and supper.

I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but if you do this on a large scale (we use a 5 gallon stock pot), you can freeze some....and it goes a long, long ways.

Just be forewarned......it will make your entire house smell yummy, and you will find yourself "sampling" the product all day long.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Daycare Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler View Post
It's that time of year when soups really hit the spot (getting colder).

Start out with a cheaper cut of meat, and put it in the crock pot overnight with seasonings of your choice. Cook all night long on low. To help tenderize, you can add a can of Coke or some Molasses or citrus juice.

First thing after breakfast, tear up meat into small pieces (it will fall apart) and toss it in a large stewpot with taters, carrots, corn, peas, green beans, chopped onions, mushrooms, etc. Let the whole concoction simmer on low all day....good for lunch and supper.

I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but if you do this on a large scale (we use a 5 gallon stock pot), you can freeze some....and it goes a long, long ways.

Just be forewarned......it will make your entire house smell yummy, and you will find yourself "sampling" the product all day long.

Yummy, sounds great!
Old 11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

Chicken and Dumplings - so cheap and so yummy!
Love the meatloaf in a muffin tin...what a great idea...Thanks!

Last edited by Michael; 11-14-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Daycare Member

Default Winter Warmth

One of the favs of the dc kids is the following:

Skinless/Boneless Chicken Breasts in a baking dish
Mix together Crm chicken soup/parmesean shaker cheese (I just eyeball it)

Poor soup mixture over chicken and bake!

Serve with mashed potatoes for a yummy lunch!!

If you make extra soup mixture you can then use it for a gravy on the potatoes.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Daycare Member

a few of our favorites include:

home made mac and cheese with spinach and fresh tomatoes...just make a little extra cheese sauce and stir in cooked spinach before tossing with pasta, and then add diced fresh tomatoes when serving

mediterranean pasta...leftover plain elbow pasta from mac n chz, tossed with a little butter, black olives, peas, tomatoes, shredded cheese, shredded chicken, and whatever other veggies you may have on hand...serve with a side of fruit =)

butternut squash soup (v8 brand or homemade) with brown rice, peas, carrots, and chicken added in

yummy!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Daycare Member

Default Just for fun!

If you have older kiddos and no peanut allergies....

Grilled PB Sandwhiches are a great afterschool snack. Make them like grilled cheese but with PB inside..kids love them, serve with milk!

Tags
breakfast, dinner, food, lunch, menus, snacks