Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do?
SandeeAR 08:23 AM 10-31-2011
Here is the situation.

I can only have 5 kids. Currently have 4 full time and one PT, 2 days a week. I only keep infant to 4 years.

Two day a week dck is moving when house sells. (could be 30 days or a year). House has been on the market for about 4 months.

I have someone wanting to move from another daycare to mine. Her friend gave up a $500 deposit after 1 week at this home to come to mine. They are currently on the waiting list at 3 locations. 18 mo old, would fit right in. I would give the PT notice.

My concern: My DD is going to start trying again to get pregnant in January. They have been trying for two years, with no success. She has had one "known" miscarriage. She has had some infertility help, that didn't work. She has had some health issues and those are now cleared.

If I take on the new 18 mo, I would have to give them notice if my DD got pregnant. Since it is my DD, we would be able to give plenty of notice. We wouldn't even mention a pregnancy until after about 4 months.

I would tell the new parent up front of this situation.

I would talk to the new parent and get a signed contract before giving notice to the PT parent.

The full time over the part time will gain me $300 a month. A total no brainer, if it wasn't for the possibility of my DD turning up pregnant.

What would you do if it was you? ????

Would you just keep the current kid and wait on him to move?
Would you interview the 18 mo parent and notify of possibly having to let
go at some point?
sharlan 08:40 AM 10-31-2011
Personally, I wouldn't take your daughter possibly getting pregnant into consideration. My daughter "tried" for 10 years before she got pregnant.

The PT family may sell their home tomorrow, or never.

One of your other families may leave in the next year.

In other words, there are so many variables.

Do what is right for your daycare today.
mismatchedsocks 08:45 AM 10-31-2011
Agree with sharlan completely!
Rachel 09:50 AM 10-31-2011
I agree. We have been TTC for 3 years Do what works now. I would probably give the PT family notice and take the FT time. By the time your dd is ready to put a child in care, any number of things could have happened, including one of your older ones ageing out. I woudln't mention it at all now to the parents of the 18m old.
wdmmom 10:35 AM 10-31-2011
Schedule interview with prospective client. Do not disclose that you do or don't have openings. Get a feel for this family, find out specifics and tell this family that you do up to 3 interviews before you determine if they would be a good fit.

At least give them the opportunity to meet you, you meet them, find out the hours they will need, work out a rate, and see if they would be a good fit.

Another thing to take into consideration is the PT family. Do they intend to sell and buy bigger or smaller in the same area or are they relocating? I'd hate to terminate if they plan on remaining in the area or planned to continue with services.

Maybe you could consider sending a letter home with this family stating that effective January 2012, you will be no longer be providing part time childcare.
Tags:part time care
Reply Up