Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If I Don't Have Anything Nice To Say......
queenbee 07:46 PM 12-10-2011
........I probably shouldn't say anything at all.

Right?

A daycare family gave notice to me on Friday. Dcd sent me some really sarcastic, really borderline disrespectful emails to me and Dcd insisted that although he is giving his two-weeks notice now, his daughter will be in care for 3 weeks and that it is up to him when they are officially ending our contract After 6pm on Friday, if a parent hasn't paid they receive a $40 late fee. He didn't want to pay it and this is why he gave notice. He left me a voicemail telling me a bunch of jibberish and junk and he is insisting I give him the year-end totals for how much he paid in childcare for the year on Monday. I tried so, so very hard to keep my b*tchy side abay and I managed to write an email back stating the OFFICIAL day contract would end (a week early than he thinks), that he will receive a W-10 in January with the rest of the families, and I sent him a certified letter in the mail today. He send another email back saying that his daughter will still be attending daycare that 3rd week and that is when he will end the contract with my daycare.

I plan on opening up the door on Monday for his daughter and ignoring him completely. I want these next two weeks to go by fast with no drama. In his voicemail, he let me know that he will not be paying the new tuition balance that includes the late fee until Monday morning, so the late fee is worth it to him If he doesn't pay I won't be accepting his daughter into care and he knows this.

I see red when I am blantly disrespected and I have a feeling I will say something if I open my mouth.

Advice?
Michelle 07:59 PM 12-10-2011
When he brings dcg and he has the right amount of money, just ignore him and smile really big at the child and tell her all the things you have planned for the day. Make sure he knows that you only care about being paid the right amount and you only care about the girl, not his mind games.

This is the best way to handle it.
Good luck
Zoe 08:05 PM 12-10-2011
What a jerk. Just be nice to the girl and do your best to bite your lip with the dad. If he gets too out of line, I'd say bye bye immediately. I have it in my contract that the provider may terminate services immediately in the case of "blantant disrespect" and what he is doing is borderline.
Meeko 08:13 PM 12-10-2011
Who the he!! does he think he is telling you that you WILL work the third week!!!!!!??????????????????

Personally, I would have termed on the spot for that amount of rudeness. You are not his slave and he can't tell you that you HAVE to work! To tell you the truth, I wouldn't work the two weeks. I'd tell him I was done.
Nellie 08:44 PM 12-10-2011
It appears you are trying very hard to be accommodating and to uphold your contract. I guess I'm almost seeing a concern about drama and possible safety? And by safety I'm maybe referring to an argument.(Please excuse me if I'm taking your post out of context) I feel that a parent yelling at me is a safety risk to my family and DCK's. They don't need to be exposed to it. If DCD starts to raise his voice at all I'd politely tell him once to lower his voice. If he doesn't I'd tell him that immediately I can't care for his children,shut and lock the door.
I have a mother that gave notice a month ago for the middle of January because that is the last day of her job. I have no problem accepting that as the last day. Your situation is different. I'm guess somewhere in your contract you can give families a two week notice and I would tell him that is what you are doing.
I know you said that you sent a certified letter, but maybe send an email so that he gets it before Monday morning. Let him know that you are giving him a two week notice letting him know the last day of service. Let him know that you want the next to weeks to go by smoothly and drama free. Some how put in there if he can't be civil that you will be forced to terminate immediately.
I wish I was better with words or had some better advice. Hopefully all will go smoothly.
MamaBear 08:48 PM 12-10-2011
I would term him now if you can afford to. What a jerk to try to tell you he was staying for that 3rd week. I don't think I could face him for the next 3 weeks knowing how rude he was.
frgsonmysox 09:54 PM 12-10-2011
You need to tell him when the contract ends, not the other way around. You are providing a service to HIM. Tell him, under no circumstances, will you be caring for his child that third week, and that if his rudeness and disrespect continues you will term him immediately. You can't let people walk all over you and talk to you like that. My blood is boiling FOR you.
countrymom 05:56 AM 12-11-2011
I would term now, I can see him not paying you. This situation does not sound like its going to end nicely.
morgan24 06:53 AM 12-11-2011
You have all your bases covered with your contract, but I think you are going to get burnt, unless you make him pay upfront. Then put on your ignore for the two weeks and say bye-bye.

I'm like you I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. It has taken me years to get that under control. Good luck keeping your cool with them because I would have a hard time.
queenbee 08:02 AM 12-11-2011
I don't have anything in my contract about paying up-front for the last two weeks of care. I now know why I should, though!

Would there be anyway I can change that? Can I just send an email stating to pay up front by tomorrow for the next two weeks? Or did I dig myself in a hole by not putting this into my contract?

Thanks for the responses everyone! The money would be nice right before Christmas, but I'm willing to go without if needed.
CheekyChick 08:18 AM 12-11-2011
That is why I have my parents pay their last two week's plus registration BEFORE their child starts care. If Mr. Rude had already paid his last two weeks tuition, you could simply send him a certified letter stating his child's last day at your daycare. I would NEVER allow the third week when he's been so rude to you!
cheerfuldom 08:38 AM 12-11-2011
I would term now. I don't have anything in my contract that states that I have to give any notice. Immediate termination is at my discretion. I have mistakenly allowed one bully DCD in my daycare in the past and will never do it again.
C'est la vie. 09:17 AM 12-11-2011
Accept pay on Monday for the past week. If he shows a hint of rudeness then term him for the next day so that you don't have to risk not getting paid over the next two weeks.
I guess there is still a chance that he will calm down and become more reasonable, but so far he sounds threatening. It's really not worth being uncomfortable for the next 3 weeks.

I guess I kind of think you should minimize your loss. It's not fair to this child, but getting your past pay on monday then terming at pick up that day you minimize your potential loss. Then he's stuck scrambling for care last minute because of his own behaviour. You're not stuck dealing with a bad attitude and someone dictating your hours to you.

So I'd consider getting your pay on monday morning, if there is ANY rudeness at all term him at pick up that day, because thats what you'd be doing, terming HIM not the child. Good luck.
Ariana 09:43 AM 12-11-2011
Wow that's a GREAT way to treat the person caring for your daughter every day...just GREAT. He's a winner.
greenhouse 03:46 PM 12-11-2011
Just wondering... Is there a more reasonable dcm in the picture? Or is it only Dcd?
Meyou 04:00 AM 12-12-2011
I would have another copy of the certified letter ready to hand him this morning once I received payment for last week. I'd probably make sure hubby was home too. '

Good luck today!
AmyLeigh 07:39 AM 12-12-2011
So he gave 2 weeks notice but wants care for the following week? Do you have drop in rates? I would tell him I would gladly take care of his child the 3rd week at a drop in rate of 2x the contracted rate paid in full up front. Then smile really big.
Either he will be mad and leave on time or pay you for putting up with his attitude.
queenbee 12:55 PM 12-12-2011
Well, I expected it.

Dcd decided to ditch without paying and wrote me an email saying that he won't be bringing his daughter back to daycare and that he won't be paying for the final two-weeks because his "family attorney" believes I compromised my own contract by........I'm not exactly sure he gave a reason in his email. It was a bunch of jibberish and talk about how unprofessional I was to him and how he is disappointed he is in my services. Blah, Blah. Anyway, if he can't afford to pay for the two-week termination of contract, I hiiiiiighly doubt he can afford a personal attorney

So, I wrote an offical Demand of Payment letter, emailed it to him and sent a certified copy in the mail. He has until the end of the month to pay or it's either small claims or a collection agency (I like the ones that garnish wages after so long with no payment )

I'm going to get my money one way or another. It isn't about the money at this point, it's the principle of the matter and I hope karma reaches this guy before he tries this again with another daycare.

Thank you for all the help ladies! It's super appreciated!

And to greenhouse - no, unfortunately there isn't a mom in the picture at all.
Meeko 01:09 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by queenbee:
Well, I expected it.

Dcd decided to ditch without paying and wrote me an email saying that he won't be bringing his daughter back to daycare and that he won't be paying for the final two-weeks because his "family attorney" believes I compromised my own contract by........I'm not exactly sure he gave a reason in his email. It was a bunch of jibberish and talk about how unprofessional I was to him and how he is disappointed he is in my services. Blah, Blah. Anyway, if he can't afford to pay for the two-week termination of contract, I hiiiiiighly doubt he can afford a personal attorney

So, I wrote an offical Demand of Payment letter, emailed it to him and sent a certified copy in the mail. He has until the end of the month to pay or it's either small claims or a collection agency (I like the ones that garnish wages after so long with no payment )

I'm going to get my money one way or another. It isn't about the money at this point, it's the principle of the matter and I hope karma reaches this guy before he tries this again with another daycare.

Go get him!! I'm cheering for you
Heidi 01:09 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by queenbee:
Well, I expected it.

Don't forget to keep your regulator in the loop. Sounds like someone who will make false claims as payback. Document everything in their file, also!
frgsonmysox 08:55 AM 12-13-2011
He sounds like a real winner! Good for you for holding your own.
wdmmom 10:03 AM 12-13-2011
Good for you! Also send a certified letter demanding payment. Keep all the emails too!

No doubt in my mind that you'll win.

I can see the type: You'll file small claims papers and have him served, THEN he'll send you payment. DON'T ACCEPT IT! Make sure if you're going to court that you get the court costs and filing fees associated.

It'll end up costing him double. Then whe you leave the courthouse, tell him, "Being a tool is expensive, huh?!"
Zoe 10:11 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Then whe you leave the courthouse, tell him, "Being a tool is expensive, huh?!"
Love it!
Tags:notice, parents - disrespect
Reply Up