Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
WDW's Avatar
WDW WDW is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 238
Default Meal Times

I serve breakfast in my childcare... which around here I am in the minority... most home providers do not. When I first started, I was serving several times a morning as kids would come in at random times... or not want to eat, and then want to eat later. I was getting worn out, so I finally decided to put a time cap on it. I now have "breakfast is served at *** - if your child wishes to eat breakfast here, they should be here by this time. If not, snack is served at ***" - I did this 18 months ago and I still have people who won't follow it. Even families that started with me after this policy, and never saw the other one... they will come in 20 to 30 minutes after breakfast and say "so and so is hungry" or "hey so and so, tell WDW you need something to eat"... and it's still an hour or more until snack time. I am getting my child ready and off to school, and breakfast is over. I can't seem to find the cajones to say anything in those moments though. Ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
E Daycare's Avatar
E Daycare E Daycare is offline
Happy cause Im insane.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 527
Default

I serve breakfast from 8-8:30 and that's it. I save it for those that arrive between those times and toss it shortly after. My schedule shows and parents are informed of eating times at interview and every day on the daily log. When I have 9:00 kids show up I just assume the kid ate at home.

My snack is at 10 so to feed breakfast at 9 would throw off the kids whole eating schedule here. I'm also VERY lucky I haven't had any issue with this in all of my 2.5yrs.

What I do have problems with is kids not eating jack crap for me at any meal.

I can't offer any advice for a kid besides my own starvin Marvin ds that complains about being hungry because none of the kids (besides my own) whine/ask for food.

Send out a note: "just an FYI breakfast is over at ______ and snack doesn't start till ____. If your child hasn't eaten by drop off and it's past breakfast time I don't save anything and they will have to wait for snack".
__________________
"Being a parent is wanting to hug and strangle your kid at the same time".
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM
snbauser's Avatar
snbauser snbauser is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385
Default

An easy response is "That's great. We will having snack in about an hour." I have one family that consistently pushes the cut off time. It's almost to the point that I don't even bother saying anything and I just don't feed them if they come in after the cut off.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

last year I had this issue....the only way I could stop it was this...

Children that show up after meal time is served without being fed will be sent home with you and can return after you feed them. A later drop off does not ok a later pick up. Please be here on time for breakfast or feed your child a full healthy breakfast before drop off...

I also require the parents that if their child is expected to be here before breakfast and will not be present to let me know in advance. If they don't then I enforce the above.

Trust me, if you have to do it one time, they will not do it again...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

breakfast is at 8:30 and lunch is at 11:30 come late and I send you to McDonalds and you finish before you come back.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
WDW's Avatar
WDW WDW is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbauser View Post
An easy response is "That's great. We will having snack in about an hour." I have one family that consistently pushes the cut off time. It's almost to the point that I don't even bother saying anything and I just don't feed them if they come in after the cut off.
I hear you about not saying anything... just seems rough if the kid has been up for an hour already and snack is 1.5 hours away... but I feel ya. I like your reply... I may use that next time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 PM
MNMum's Avatar
MNMum MNMum is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnestoa
Posts: 598
Default

FWIW...there have been occasions on the weekend where I will sleep in and let my own children feed themselves. I have finally come down 2-3 hours later to find that they still haven't eaten. Even my 2 yo is still alive, and hardly complaining! I think I would say to the parents, "Breakfast is over, if you think little Johnny will be fine until snack at 10am, then okay." If it becomes a recurring problem, and little Johnny does not do fine until snack, then I would have to tell the parents that this isn't working. My issue, is that I do not serve an AM snack, so the kid would need to hold out until 11:30!
__________________
MnMum married to DH 9 yrs
Mum to Girl 11, Girl 8, Boy 4.5, Boy 9 mos
DCK's 3, 3, 18 mos, 4 mos
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I serve breakfast in my childcare... which around here I am in the minority... most home providers do not. When I first started, I was serving several times a morning as kids would come in at random times... or not want to eat, and then want to eat later. I was getting worn out, so I finally decided to put a time cap on it. I now have "breakfast is served at *** - if your child wishes to eat breakfast here, they should be here by this time. If not, snack is served at ***" - I did this 18 months ago and I still have people who won't follow it. Even families that started with me after this policy, and never saw the other one... they will come in 20 to 30 minutes after breakfast and say "so and so is hungry" or "hey so and so, tell WDW you need something to eat"... and it's still an hour or more until snack time. I am getting my child ready and off to school, and breakfast is over. I can't seem to find the cajones to say anything in those moments though. Ideas?
Are you on a food program?


That's my easiest go-to excuse.

Food programs require set meal and snack times. Although I can be flexible with them if I really want or need to I use it to say I can't have food out all day like that. Breakfast is *-*, lunch is *-*, afternoon snack is *-*....I tell parents I cap them so should a rep come by for inspection I am always in "compliance" as they expect children to be eating during those times and those times alone.

If I don't stay in "compliance" I could lose my enrollment and if I do I'll have to drastically raise my rates to cover the cost of all meals and snacks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM
WDW's Avatar
WDW WDW is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMum View Post
FWIW...there have been occasions on the weekend where I will sleep in and let my own children feed themselves. I have finally come down 2-3 hours later to find that they still haven't eaten. Even my 2 yo is still alive, and hardly complaining! I think I would say to the parents, "Breakfast is over, if you think little Johnny will be fine until snack at 10am, then okay." If it becomes a recurring problem, and little Johnny does not do fine until snack, then I would have to tell the parents that this isn't working. My issue, is that I do not serve an AM snack, so the kid would need to hold out until 11:30!
Good point, same thing has happened with my own child..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Are you on a food program?


That's my easiest go-to excuse.

Food programs require set meal and snack times. Although I can be flexible with them if I really want or need to I use it to say I can't have food out all day like that. Breakfast is *-*, lunch is *-*, afternoon snack is *-*....I tell parents I cap them so should a rep come by for inspection I am always in "compliance" as they expect children to be eating during those times and those times alone.

If I don't stay in "compliance" I could lose my enrollment and if I do I'll have to drastically raise my rates to cover the cost of all meals and snacks
I'm not on a food program, but not sure my famililes know that one way or another. Good idea.. blame licensing. Just wish people would be considerate enough we didn't have to do that....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Good point, same thing has happened with my own child..



I'm not on a food program, but not sure my famililes know that one way or another. Good idea.. blame liscensing. Just wish people would be considerate enough we didn't have to do that....

Parents have to sign enrollment forms for their child(ren) to participate in a food program, just so you don't try to slip that by a parent who's been in another daycare that was on one lol

Definitely blame good old state daycare licensing though, they're always good for deflecting responsibility
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM
WDW's Avatar
WDW WDW is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Parents have to sign enrollment forms for their child(ren) to participate in a food program, just so you don't try to slip that by a parent who's been in another daycare that was on one lol

Definitely blame good old state daycare licensing though, they're always good for deflecting responsibility
Haha! Good to know. I wasn't going to lie anyway.. they would see right thru me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
meal time, meal times

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Infant Meal Pattern Exceptions blandino Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 09-30-2012 07:35 PM
Operation Meal Time Termination daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 08-28-2012 04:22 PM
Switching From Open/Close Times To Contracted Hours Kim Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 05-18-2012 07:21 AM
How Many Times? mema Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-16-2012 09:59 AM
Meal Time, When Kids Play And Won’t Eat daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 23 03-02-2011 06:53 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming