Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do
[email protected] 11:01 AM 05-11-2010
alright, for the first time in a LONG time,... I am stuck as to a solution. Ive had a family for 3 yrs. 4 yr old girl. Moms work has began paying for (last 2 yrs) her care. So,.. she is roughly 11 weeks ahead in childcare fees. Yesterday mom comes in,.. talking about putting her in preschool. Fine with me. No worries. Ive had many go to preschool. Then she says,.. well I dont have anyone to take her. So Im like,.. I see,.. ok. Then she says,.. well I found a place. We like it. We are wanting to enroll her there,... now,.. how are we going to do a refund? I said,.. ummm,.... refund? Im not going to refund you fees that I am paying taxes on because your employer is going to turn in the income,.. she is like,.. oh taxes,.. I never thought about taxes. I didnt know you paid taxes,.. (I WAS NOT BORN YESTERDAY!) yes I pay taxes,..I claim everything. She says,.. ok well we will just wait until aug and switch her then,.. ok.....
this morning,...
she comes in,.. Hey July first is when I want to be refunded until. so that is only half the time, I figured we would split the difference,.. and it would be fair,...

.. I said,.. but I TOLD you I am not paying taxes on money Im not recieving income on. Thats ridiculous. We agreed to aug being her last day and you just not paying anymore and using up your credit.,...

so I flat let her have it. I told her that I felt like I had bent over backwards to help her out, opening early, closing late,... etc......
and NOW when things get difficult for her or are more advantagous to her she changes the rules? I said,.. no,.. this isnt fair. You are basicly telling me,.. hey Ive paid you til aug but dont want you any more so give me back my money,....Which I know I should have not taken but they have been paying like this for years,...

I ended the conversation this morning after 35 minutes of conversation,.. her playing the poor me routine and me totally saying,.. Im taking off my caring hat and putting on my business one. From a business point of view I feel like your not being fair to me. You have changed your mind on what you want to do several times from yesterday to today and I need a date. A concrete date when will be her last day. on a personal side,.. I cant go through the grieving process of losing her over and over again. With you changing your mind on when or if it will be,...This isnt like a newspaper subscription, this is real life, love and emotions. .. I get attached to the kids, they to meand its not fair to anyone to be wishy washy about it. YOU need to give me a date,.. a concrete date. period. She says,.. I dont know why it has to be this way,.. I still want her to come here when the other place cant keep her,.. and she will start school soon and then she will need before and after school. I said,.. I wont be here for you then. Im sorry. But I cant offer that service. Other children will soon replace her spot. She then says,.. what if she hates it can she come back???? I said,.. probably not, I am filling her spot as soon as possible. This is my business,... I have no choice.
Then she left,... bawling.

Ive been thinking about this and I have two options,..
have my husband go pull money out of savings to refund her,.. issue an end of year statement and have her sign a total paid reciept that shows how much she PAID, and how much I refunded. and term her effective two weeks from today (or immediately depending on how she behaves)

or just let HER take the lead and do what she wants,... what do you think?

Part of me says, get the money to refund her and when she decides to give me a date ~~ refund her all but 2 weeks, give her 2 weeks notice, and wash my hands of it.

she has NO PROBLEM with the care I give, the program I offer is just not as "schooly" as she wants. I havent changed, she has. She knows her daughter is loved, and liked. Secure and safe.

what would you do????
Tags:notice, paying in advance, refund
Up