Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default Views On This

I came across this today when reading a newsletter and wanted to know what everyone thought. Does some of it seem contradicting each other?

This is from a childs point of view (supposebly)

1. Don't Spoil me. I know quite well that I out not have everything thing I ask for. I'm just testing you.

2. Don't be afraid to be firm with me, I prefer it, for I feel mor secure.

3. Don't let me form bad habits,I have to rely on you to detect them in the early stages.

4. Don't make me feel smaller then I am. It only makes me behave to big.

5. Don't correct me in front of people if you can help it.

6. Don't make me feel that my mistakes are sins, it upset my set of values.

7.Don't be upset, when I say "I hate you", it's not you I hate, but your power to hinder.

I can't believe these things and we wonder what whats wrong with todays kids!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 PM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,219
Default

Well, I like and agree with 1, 2, & 3!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM
nanglgrl's Avatar
nanglgrl nanglgrl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,651
Default

I guess I'm not seeing the problem. All of these makes sense to me. Number #5 is questionable but I would follow it for older children.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

I agree with these, for the most part- not quite sure what is wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanglgrl View Post
I guess I'm not seeing the problem. All of these makes sense to me. Number #5 is questionable but I would follow it for older children.
Agree with your thinking for #5!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
littlemissmuffet's Avatar
littlemissmuffet littlemissmuffet is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,081
Default

Don't want to be rude, but the term is supposedly, not supposebly.


I agree wholeheartedly with 1, 2 and 3.

4 - I don't think children should be made to feel small or lesser than anyone else, but I do think they need to know their place and boundries. Telling a child they are too young or too little for something... nothing wrong with that.

5 - children and adults alike should be corrected in private AND public situations as the need comes up. People should learn from their mistakes as they are made.

6 - because I'm an atheist, I wouldn't make anyone feel that they're mistakes are sins... because I don't "believe in" sins. A mistake is a mistake.

7 - I wouldn't take it personally if a kid said they hated me... even my own. I know what it felt like as a kid to want to scream that to the adults in my life. It's definitely not acceptable though and would be punishable in my home.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 PM
blandino's Avatar
blandino blandino is offline
Daycare.com member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 1,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet View Post
Don't want to be rude, but the term is supposedly, not supposebly.


I agree wholeheartedly with 1, 2 and 3.

4 - I don't think children should be made to feel small or lesser than anyone else, but I do think they need to know their place and boundries. Telling a child they are too young or too little for something... nothing wrong with that.

5 - children and adults alike should be corrected in private AND public situations as the need comes up. People should learn from their mistakes as they are made.

6 - because I'm an atheist, I wouldn't make anyone feel that they're mistakes are sins... because I don't "believe in" sins. A mistake is a mistake.

7 - I wouldn't take it personally if a kid said they hated me... even my own. I know what it felt like as a kid to want to scream that to the adults in my life. It's definitely not acceptable though and would be punishable in my home.
I agree, children should be corrected in public. They shouldn't be humiliated, but they should be corrected. I think most of us have seen a child purposely act out because they think that they won't be disciplined with others around. Avoiding discipline/correction in public, is going to lead to children who take advantage of the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet View Post
7 - I wouldn't take it personally if a kid said they hated me... even my own. I know what it felt like as a kid to want to scream that to the adults in my life. It's definitely not acceptable though and would be punishable in my home.
I agree- kids usuallly say that because either:
1. Shock Value/ Emotional Manipulation: to catch you off guard and make you feel guilty making you give into their wants (especially when they are older)
2. Younger children especially: they don't know how to appropriately express their feelings and don't know how to seperate a person from their behavior when they don't like what that person is saying or doing.

And in those cases they do need to be corrected immediatly or that will continue. And the more someone hears or says something the more they start to believe it- which is bad for both the child and the adult in this situation.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

I agree with all of those. May I ask what you disagree with?

#1 and #2 are exactly right. #3 is a wonderful point that more parents need to be proactive about (stopping things early instead of fighting them later, like nail chewing, or constant need for sippy cups, or whatever).

#4 isn't saying not to let children know when they really are too little or too young for something, it's saying not to do things like stand over them and tower over them while we talk to them, not to baby talk and belittle them, things like that. Get down on their level, speak with respect and understanding, that kind of thing. You (general you!) know how sometimes someone can say something that makes you feel about two feet tall? That's the kind of thing this is talking about.

#5 means to avoid embarrassing children in front of lots of people--it's asking you to take a child aside and talk to them more "in private" rather than making it a public display of correction, if that makes sense. Think about how you would like a fellow adult to correct *you*, and behave accordingly toward children. (that's a general you not a specific one!)

#6--well, I'm not religious, so I can't comment, but I cringe when hear parents telling their child that hitting their brother was a sin and they need to pray for Jesus to save them from their wickedness...using prayer as a punishment just seems back-a$$wards to me...

#7 is spot on as well. Saying "I hate you" is often code for "I have big feelings about something and I don't know the words to express them right now," and it also sometimes means that you're actually doing the right thing. It's a sign that the child is feeling completely out of control, and often is a kind of anxious lash out where the child is really looking for validation of the parent's unconditional love ("Are you a safe space for me to share my darkest feelings? Will you still love me if I show my worst to you?")
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
I agree with all of those. May I ask what you disagree with?

#1 and #2 are exactly right. #3 is a wonderful point that more parents need to be proactive about (stopping things early instead of fighting them later, like nail chewing, or constant need for sippy cups, or whatever).

#4 isn't saying not to let children know when they really are too little or too young for something, it's saying not to do things like stand over them and tower over them while we talk to them, not to baby talk and belittle them, things like that. Get down on their level, speak with respect and understanding, that kind of thing. You (general you!) know how sometimes someone can say something that makes you feel about two feet tall? That's the kind of thing this is talking about.

#5 means to avoid embarrassing children in front of lots of people--it's asking you to take a child aside and talk to them more "in private" rather than making it a public display of correction, if that makes sense. Think about how you would like a fellow adult to correct *you*, and behave accordingly toward children. (that's a general you not a specific one!)

#6--well, I'm not religious, so I can't comment, but I cringe when hear parents telling their child that hitting their brother was a sin and they need to pray for Jesus to save them from their wickedness...using prayer as a punishment just seems back-a$$wards to me...

#7 is spot on as well. Saying "I hate you" is often code for "I have big feelings about something and I don't know the words to express them right now," and it also sometimes means that you're actually doing the right thing. It's a sign that the child is feeling completely out of control, and often is a kind of anxious lash out where the child is really looking for validation of the parent's unconditional love ("Are you a safe space for me to share my darkest feelings? Will you still love me if I show my worst to you?")
ITA. I also feel like if all parents followed these rules, I wouldn't have half the issues with children that I do.

1. Don't Spoil me. I know quite well that I out not have everything thing I ask for. I'm just testing you.

We all know you shouldn't spoil a child with things. I have a dcb that receives a NEW TOY everytime he poops on the potty. It's been going on for a MONTH, it's getting to the point he is holding some back and going again so he can get two toys. Not small things either, new trucks, cars, etc and if he fills his sticker chart at home, he is getting a giant box of toys. If he wants to take something home, his parent/s fully expect he should be able to take it! I have had to tell dcb that he cannot HAVE my toys every single day at pickup for quite some time, to which he sometimes throws a massive FIT.

2. Don't be afraid to be firm with me, I prefer it, for I feel mor secure.

We all know that the kids who act out are doing so to FIND boundaries. I don't have the behavioral problems the parents do because the kids KNOW better. They also know that 'we don't use running feet because Miss. **** doesn't want us to get hurt!'

3. Don't let me form bad habits,I have to rely on you to detect them in the early stages.

How many of your dck's have TERRIBLE habits that could have been nipped in the bud months/years ago? Rocking to sleep, pacifiers, sippy cup use beyond certain ages, grazing instead of sitting at the table for meals, picking their noses, etc

4. Don't make me feel smaller then I am. It only makes me behave to big.

I never belittle children. I talk to them in a grown up voice, at their level, with respect and kindness. They talk to me in the same manner. I don't use baby talk.

5. Don't correct me in front of people if you can help it.

Especially for older kids, this is HUMILIATING, I always pull kids aside to speak with them.

6. Don't make me feel that my mistakes are sins, it upset my set of values.

I have a Christian family in care, and it takes everything in me not to react when dcm tells dcg that her lying (kid fibbing) is a sin and makes baby Jesus cry.

7.Don't be upset, when I say "I hate you", it's not you I hate, but your power to hinder.

ITA with this. BUT, hate is a bad word in my house. I always correct this and give them the words they need "I don't like that you ________"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

I've had this hanging on my wall for years.

I see nothing wrong with it and agree with daycarediva and that if only half the parents lived that way, we would see far less issues with the kids in our care.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
GoodKarma's Avatar
GoodKarma GoodKarma is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 158
Default

I agree with this list and DaycareDiva illustrates it well
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
MsLaura529's Avatar
MsLaura529 MsLaura529 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post


I have a Christian family in care, and it takes everything in me not to react when dcm tells dcg that her lying (kid fibbing) is a sin and makes baby Jesus cry.
Oh, this is terrible I guess I can kind of understand the shock factor of this trying to nip it in the bud, but I know my daughter would be absolutely HEART BROKEN if I told her she was making "baby Jesus cry".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
discipline - consistency

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religious Views... What's Yours? littlemissmuffet Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 78 05-09-2013 08:05 AM
Termed Because Of Political Views? cillybean83 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 54 02-20-2011 08:33 AM
How Long Can You Put a Child in a Time Out sahm2three Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 86 06-15-2010 08:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming