Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Provider Faked Sick & Got Caught - How To Report Her?
Unregistered 01:45 PM 02-11-2014
We put in our 2 weeks notice to our licensed in-home daycare lady. We were very unhappy with her for a number of reasons - parking our kids in front of movies all day, telling us she wouldn't take them outside to play unless it was above 60 degrees outside (and they had plenty of weather gear there for any time of weather), inventing sudden "holidays" she needed to be off with pay, taking time off to get botox, having us pay about 15 days of her vacation but giving us no unpaid days off, greeting us with a stop watch each morning and evening (we were not to be a minute past our scheduled time there), being absolutely cruel to one of my children and always saying that our other child was her favorite - in front of both of them, etc.

We live in a small town and I hate to burn bridges, so I called to tell her we were putting in our notice due to more convenient hours at another center. I wrote her a nice formal 2 weeks' notice letter as well. On the evening before the kids' last day there, she texted me to say she was sick and would be closed the following day. I KNEW she wasn't sick because she sent my kids home with small parting gifts the day before their last day (KNOWING she was going to call off), and she didn't appear to be sick at all. I texted the other parents to see if she also told them she was sick. They all responded hours later with vague responses not confirming that she had. I texted our provider and told her she needs to pay us for the day she took off (I didn't ask for the unpaid day of work as well, but should have). She said, "Well *I* missed a day of work too, not to mention getting calls and texts from parents that you sent messages to!" Well....obviously....if parents were calling her after I texted them to see if she called out sick on them too....then obviously....she was going to stay open for them - just not for us. She was busted and she just busted herself in a text message.

I want the money back that we missed from not being able to work that day, plus the money we paid her for the kids. I also want to report her. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Thanks in advance.
Blackcat31 04:33 PM 02-11-2014
So even though your provider was rude to your child in front of your other child, parked them in front of the TV, invented holidays, charged for holidays and gave you none, greeted you with a stop watch at drop off and pick up and refused to take them outside, you still continued to bring them there??
Unregistered 04:54 PM 02-11-2014
Why would you keep your children in a setting where you witnessed being the provider being "absolutely cruel" to your children? Also, did you address your complaints with the provider directly?

If you want to prevent burning bridges, the best way to go about it is to not discuss the provider with her other clients. The relationship with you and her is between you and her, not you, her and all of the rest of her clients.
craftymissbeth 05:31 PM 02-11-2014
Well, for one thing there's absolutely no reason she would owe you for lost wages. It's a parents responsibility for having a back-up plan.
mia 07:38 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Well, for one thing there's absolutely no reason she would owe you for lost wages. It's a parents responsibility for having a back-up plan.

mia 07:39 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So even though your provider was rude to your child in front of your other child, parked them in front of the TV, invented holidays, charged for holidays and gave you none, greeted you with a stop watch at drop off and pick up and refused to take them outside, you still continued to bring them there??

MarinaVanessa 08:26 AM 02-12-2014
I was just thinking if it was that time of the cycle again? Lots of "unregistered" posters in the last couple of days ... hmm, suspicious. I need to remember not to feed the .. well, you know
ihop 08:36 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I was just thinking if it was that time of the cycle again? Lots of "unregistered" posters in the last couple of days ... hmm, suspicious. I need to remember not to feed the .. well, you know

Annalee 10:25 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I haven't been on the forum a long time, but i was noticing the unregistered posting as well.
melilley 10:59 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I had the same thought yesterday!
rosieteddy 12:03 PM 02-12-2014
Who exactly would you report this to? The daycare police? I find it bizzare that someone would think to do that.Granted calling in sick for only the children leaveing is pretty bad ,but not criminal.
nannyde 01:21 PM 02-12-2014
We should start a running tally on how many words come in the post before the word "money".
Michael 03:36 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I haven't been on the forum a long time, but i was noticing the unregistered posting as well.
Welcome back
daycare 03:48 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We should start a running tally on how many words come in the post before the word "money".
lol hahahhahh that is funny nannyde
MarinaVanessa 03:54 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We should start a pool now for the next one. Closest one that guesses gets bragging rights
nannyde 04:31 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
We should start a pool now for the next one. Closest one that guesses gets bragging rights
It has to be the "I want my MONEY back" money not the "I paid all the money" money.
saved4always 02:35 PM 02-13-2014
I would be more concerned with removing my children from care where they were mistreated than I would be about a provider "faking" a sick day. If someone was actually being cruel to my child, I would not leave them in that care for one moment longer. I would question why you were even giving a 2 week notice if all of these negative things were actually happening.
BabyLuver21 03:50 PM 02-15-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Who exactly would you report this to? The daycare police? I find it bizzare that someone would think to do that.Granted calling in sick for only the children leaveing is pretty bad ,but not criminal.
LOL

I agree here. You want to report her for calling off? I mean that's pretty weird. If you didn't like her that much because of this and that, and you report her, don't you think this may come back to bite you in the behind?

Licensing may report YOU to CPS for leaving your child in such unsafe hands.

Parents, ya need to learn to watch it. If you feel your child isn't safe, you DO NOT RETURN THEM BACK to the "unsafe" home! You cannot continue to abuse the system because you don't like something, like her calling off, or the amount you pay, or that she "planned" a sick day only for you. While that may not be how I do things, it's not a crime and it's not illegal and it's not doing you any harm other than you had a minor inconvenience, and anyway, she's not your provider anymore.

Cut your losses and let this go. Seriously, Licensing and CPS have BIGGER more REAL threats to worry about
Play Care 02:01 PM 02-16-2014
The fact that the other DCP's didn't respond until *hours* later and only *vaguely* answered you says a lot.

I would cut your losses and move on to the center that will be more reliable for you.
Janice62 11:28 PM 02-18-2014
I believe instead of harboring ill thoughts, with letting them pile up day after day, it's best to find a non distracting time to meet that's at a good for both adults and talk things out from the beginning. Some providers charge VERY low tuition fee's for parents to be able to afford their place, sometimes you pay for what you get. She might offer low tuition rates, knowing she doesn't have another adult to support her, so anyone working alone, will need to take a day off occasionally for medical, dental, family personal reasons-this is budgeted in low tuition fees, usually. (everyone needs personal days) Parents need to have 2 or more back up providers for getting a low tuition rate and anytime you know the adult works alone, without a full time assistant. Any licensed daycare can get DSHS children at a decent tuition rate, usually. Our infant rate is over $900.00 a month, toddler $800.00 ish, older children $688.00 ish. Please count the children, if you see 5 children for the 12 hour day, she might be making less than minimum wage for a very long shift.... If your paying less than what she can get from another family or DSHS, she was helping you out. She could of at anytime, gave you notice and got a new higher paying family during her tours at nap time, but she must of liked your children to not trade them for different family. There's two sides, but try to see her side, also.
My3cents 11:21 AM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't get this either!!!
renodeb 04:19 PM 08-09-2014
I don't think there is a way to "report" her because I don't think she has broken any laws. She has acted very poorly and lied which is a real shame. Not sure if you will be able to get any money back or not. (depends on the contract you signed with her). Sorry you have had such a bad experience.
ACH247 09:48 AM 08-10-2014
I agree with the OP. She paid for a day and the provider lied about being closed. She should get her money back for that day. The OP gave her a 2 week notice and followed the contract so they both should do what was agreed upon in the contract. Not just the parent. This is sad that the provider was so unethical. There should be a way to report her.
Tags:28 day cycle, drama, drama - parent, drama queen, forum cycle
Reply Up