Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>@Tom Copeland-Expanded Unemployment Insurance
nanglgrl 12:42 PM 03-28-2020
Hello, I hope you see this and are able to help. In your recent article you stated:

The language in the bill says that self-employed individuals are eligible if their “place of employment is closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.”

Iowa has not required home daycares to close but DHS sent us this:

MITIGATION PRACTICES ALL CENTERS MUST DEPLOY IMMEDIATELY:
HYGIENE AND CLEANLINESS

-Wash blankets daily. Minimize the amount of toys in your childcare settings and clean them daily.

-Implement regular deep-cleaning practices at a minimum once a week, while continuing daily cleaning as normal.

If a provider doesn’t have a washing machine and/or the cleaning supplies to follow these regulations is it your opinion that this would/would not meet the language that our place of employment was closed as a direct result of the public health emergency?

I ask because many providers are out of the cleaning supplies required to perform these tasks. They are impossible to find in the stores and CCRR and DHS dont have supplies to help us follow these rules.
TomCopeland 07:00 AM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Hello, I hope you see this and are able to help. In your recent article you stated:

The language in the bill says that self-employed individuals are eligible if their “place of employment is closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.”

Iowa has not required home daycares to close but DHS sent us this:

MITIGATION PRACTICES ALL CENTERS MUST DEPLOY IMMEDIATELY:
HYGIENE AND CLEANLINESS

-Wash blankets daily. Minimize the amount of toys in your childcare settings and clean them daily.

-Implement regular deep-cleaning practices at a minimum once a week, while continuing daily cleaning as normal.

If a provider doesn’t have a washing machine and/or the cleaning supplies to follow these regulations is it your opinion that this would/would not meet the language that our place of employment was closed as a direct result of the public health emergency?

I ask because many providers are out of the cleaning supplies required to perform these tasks. They are impossible to find in the stores and CCRR and DHS dont have supplies to help us follow these rules.
Good question. The answer is that it's not clear. I would ask DHS if you can't follow these procedures do they recommend that you shut down? If so, you would be eligible. If they don't recommend you shut down, ask them what you should do, and will you be cited for violating a licensing rule if you can't comply? If you can't comply and would be in violation, then I think you can close and apply for unemployment.
Tags:covid-19, employment insurance, insurance - employee, tom copeland, unemployment
Reply Up