Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any of You Have a Cell Phone Policy
learn-n-grow 04:12 PM 08-16-2011
I have parents that come pick up their child talking on their cell phones. It's kind of annoying because I would like to tell them about their child's day or sometimes there are things that I need to tell them. Do any of you have to deal with this? If so, how do you handle it? Or should I just ignore it and find another way to communicate? I think it's rude:. I would never go into my child's daycare to pick them on while talking on the phone. your thoughts please...
Meeko 04:18 PM 08-16-2011
I get this problem too and have been considering putting up a "NO CELL PHONES" sign at the door. It's sad how rude people can be.
snbauser 04:59 PM 08-16-2011
I have it in my policy that unless it is an emergency they are not to come in on the cell phone. I also have in their that they may not sit out front in their car on the phone. Our classroom has a large front window and the kids can see when their parent pulls up and are excited to go home. It's not fair to them to sit there and wait while their parent is on the phone. I tell them to finish their call down the street before they pull up.
cheerfuldom 06:43 PM 08-16-2011
I had to add this to my contract as I had two parents that were really bad about this. They would talk on the phone in my driveway until I literally pushed their child out the door or walked her to the car. I added a simple statement that parents must be off the cell phone when on my property, whether indoors or out. They liked to stretch that call out and get a few extra minutes of me taking care of their child. They can claim that they were there for pickup on time but the child did not actually get in the car and go till 15 minutes later.
PitterPatter 07:43 PM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I have it in my policy that unless it is an emergency they are not to come in on the cell phone. I also have in their that they may not sit out front in their car on the phone. Our classroom has a large front window and the kids can see when their parent pulls up and are excited to go home. It's not fair to them to sit there and wait while their parent is on the phone. I tell them to finish their call down the street before they pull up.
Please tell us exactly how it is worded in your contract because my "Please do not take calls or text repeatedly while picking up your children" obviously isn't working! TIA!
littlemissmuffet 07:55 PM 08-16-2011
I have a no cell phone policy in my house, period, be it daycare parents or friends. I absolutely hate the things and how ignorant and rude people have become while using them. I don't want to hear your personal conversations, I don't want you putting our face to face conversation on hold while you answer a text, I don't like how everyone's always fiddling with the damn things, I don't like how people are becoming so socially awkward and stunned, I don't like how privacy is becoming non-existant, etc. So, no answering calls or texts in my house while you are conducting business with me or visiting me.
daycare 07:55 PM 08-16-2011
I have a big sign on my front door that says no shoes, no cells no cigarettes!

each word has a picture next to it with a circle with the red line going through it.. so far no issues..

I don't care if they are on their phones in my front yard, but they better be inside to get their child by the time they are supposed to pick up. MY PHB states that they must be signed out by their pick up time in their contract....
snbauser 08:04 PM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Please tell us exactly how it is worded in your contract because my "Please do not take calls or text repeatedly while picking up your children" obviously isn't working! TIA!
Here is my policy -

Cell phone usage: Unless it is an emergency, please finish your phone call prior to pulling up in front of the school. Your child is away from you all day and is very excited to see you pull up. But it is difficult for them when they then have to wait while you are parked within sight and on the phone. Please feel free to pull into the parking lot located at the entrance of the development to finish your call before pulling up in front of the school.

Every so often I have to add it into a monthly newsletter as a reminder but on the whole, my parents are pretty good about abiding by this policy.
Cat Herder 04:56 AM 08-17-2011
Parents do that all the time, here. I gave up on them...

The bigger, more divisive, issue was the cell policy with the kids.

My rule was 5 and up.

It had to be kept in their locked cubby.

I gave it to them at a set call time or at going home time.

I used to be less stringent before they added all the gadgets to them like cameras, internet and recording.

Being arrested for "child p-ornography" when one of the boys decides to text a photo of his rear end to another kid in a new style of 70's "mooning" then having that kid publish it to FB just does not sound fun to me... (kids actually got send to ISS for this here in elementary school recently)
dEHmom 05:10 AM 08-17-2011
I think it is rude as well. I especially hate when people are going through a checkout or sitting at a restaurant (regarless of how classy it is) and yacking away. If I am on the phone, or if the phone rings while checking out at a store, I rush them off the phone/ignore it/or place the call on hold until i'm walking out of the store.

I would simply not answer the door until they are finished on the phone.
DCMom 05:25 AM 08-17-2011
I don't have a policy but I think it is incredibly rude.

I have one mom who does it every. single. day. It has gotten to the point where I say good bye to dcg and ingnore mom because it is basically what she is doing to me.
Tags:cell phone policy, cell phones, cell phones - not
Reply Up