Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Created A Monster
sharlan 06:32 PM 11-10-2011
My 3 & 4 yo want nothing to do with writing or coloring. I've tried crayons, markers, colored pencils.

I set up two divided boxes from IKEA. One is markers, colored pencils, crayons, popsicle sticks, pompoms, glue, glitter, glue sticks, lots of paper, and little craft kits. The other one is water colors, tempra paint, stamp pads and stamps, do a dots, finger paints, lots of brushes, and other paint supplies.

The boys won't touch it, but the 5 yo goes into meltdown when it's time to go home. She will sit there forever, creating.

I need to find a way to stop the melt downs. The last two nights, I've sent stuff home with her to stop the tears.
Jenniferdawn 06:50 PM 11-10-2011
Maybe if you didn't let her do the art all the way up until she got picked up, it would be an easier transition? You could tell her it's time to clean up 15 minutes or so before the parent is supposed to arrive so she has some mental time to prepare herself. I had a problem like this with one of my dcg, 5 years old too. Would throw a huge fit when it was time to go home. Now we do a 15 minute transition time and it has made all the difference in the world! In fact, her dad is great. His schedule fluctuates so he isnt always picking up at the same time. So he texts me when he is leaving the office so i can get the kids shoes on, pack up toys etc. Helps so much.

I personally would stop sending craft stuff with her. IMO, it will just get her expecting special treatment all the time. But thats just my two cents.
sharlan 07:01 PM 11-10-2011
She does get special treatment, she's my granddaughter. The younger boys are my grandsons.
Jenniferdawn 07:11 PM 11-10-2011
Lol. Well then, that makes a difference. Grandma can do anything she wants.
cheerfuldom 08:22 PM 11-10-2011
End craft time right when you start something else she really wants to do (not pickup time!). For instance, my craft-lover here is my middle daughter. I always plan art time before lunch. Lunch is the only thing she loves more than art so she is more agreeable about cleaning up.
Meyou 03:31 AM 11-11-2011
I would end craft time slightly before it was time to go with lots of warnings that it was almost time to clean up. I would also assure her that the craft things will be waiting tomorrow for her and get her to help put them in a special spot. The last thing I would do is let her know that my craft supplies are for children that listen so if she wants to use all these fun things tomorrow she must listen now and out everything away.

I have a DCB that has meltdowns because he thinks that everyone is having fun after he leaves playing the specific game he was playing even if he was playing alone. It avoids a meltdown almost every time if I give him warnings that cleanup time is coming, assure him that he can play with XYZ tomorrow and occasionally if he's stressed I'll let him chose a "guy" to tuck away in his bin until the morning so he can resume his game.
countrymom 06:58 AM 11-11-2011
my niece is like that too, so guess what she is getting for christmas, lots and lots of glue!
sharlan 07:03 AM 11-11-2011
I'm thinking that I'll set a timer for 5 mins when it looks like Mom is ready to leave. That will give her time to organize things. She's fairly good about cleaning as she goes from one project to another.
Meyou 07:20 AM 11-11-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm thinking that I'll set a timer for 5 mins when it looks like Mom is ready to leave. That will give her time to organize things. She's fairly good about cleaning as she goes from one project to another.
That sounds like a good idea. I find that often with some warning kids are much better at making transitions. Some just need more warning that others.
sharlan 07:23 AM 11-11-2011
She's currently going through that melt-down drama phase. She's not too bad with me, but horrendous with her mom. She just turned 6 two weeks ago and thinks she's a "big girl" now.
hoopinglady 08:48 AM 11-11-2011
I was talking to my now 14 year old niece last night. She was in my daycare years ago.

She'd remembered my having an over the door shoe holder thing with tons of art and craft supplies (I'd forgotten all about it). She said she remembers thinking it was sooo cool and thinking "I could stay here forever".

You're making good, lasting memories if you can get past the separation part.

christinaskids 11:24 AM 11-11-2011
Graduated warnings are awesome, I think. "OK Conor, twenty minutes until we have to put it away and cleanup." Then, "Conor, there are ten minutes until cleanup and we have to stop" Five minute warning, then cleanup time. Saves SOOO much stress.
Tags:boys, stubborn
Reply Up