Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>19 Month Old Will NOT Stop Mouthing Everything...
Orange2001 07:50 AM 09-07-2016
So I'm not getting anywhere when I mention to mom it's an issue. By everything I mean I collected toys on day of everything she mouthed we were out of toys by nap, toys, stuffed animals, the baby gates, wodden chairs, dirt, paint she peals off my deck (lead tested its safe kinda), rocks, plants, flowers, sand, playdough, oh and she is my constant bitter too.
KiwiKids 07:54 AM 09-07-2016
I've had a little one like this... It was just excessive. I had the child hand me each toy as soon as it went in her mouth and I'd give her a teether in return. It took about two weeks for her to stop mouthing everything and instead go for her teethers first. She attempted many bites in a short span but I intercepted her each time and when she became more verbal the attempted bites stopped.
Cat Herder 07:55 AM 09-07-2016
"Your toddler: 19 months old

Your child’s temperament, water play and teething with molars.

Teething: Round 2
We usually think of teething as a baby trouble, but toddlers may suffer more. In her second year, your child may cut two sets of molars. If she doesn’t have her first molars already, she will soon, with the second set probably emerging around her second birthday. And since they are big and blunt, they can really hurt on the way through, so be prepared with soothing solutions for handling inflammation and pain."
Orange2001 08:17 AM 09-07-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"Your toddler: 19 months old

Your child’s temperament, water play and teething with molars.

Teething: Round 2
We usually think of teething as a baby trouble, but toddlers may suffer more. In her second year, your child may cut two sets of molars. If she doesn’t have her first molars already, she will soon, with the second set probably emerging around her second birthday. And since they are big and blunt, they can really hurt on the way through, so be prepared with soothing solutions for handling inflammation and pain."
She been with me since 9 months it hasn't increased or decreased at all daily, weekly, its the same every day.... I've about curved the bitting with moms help but she think the mouthing toys will go away in its own. Guess I will go check out teethers this evening thanks!!
Orange2001 08:21 AM 09-07-2016
Oh she also still brings in her bottle every day I empty it into a cup, bottle in her diaper bag and she doesn't care all day, but mom says she won't take a cup, she has since 14,months with me.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 09-07-2016
At this age mouthing objects is just as normal as touching them, looking at them and/or hearing them.

Taste or oral sensory behavior is just another way that kids learn about the world around them.

As we age, we tend to use specific senses in regards to certain items or experiences but for toddlers, one sense (in this case, taste or oral) is greater than others.

During the day rather than take things that she mouthed, let her have those things all day long. At the END of the day AFTER she has left for home, wash and sanitize them for the next day.
daycarediva 09:10 AM 09-07-2016
Parents used to start discouraging this by a year- at least giving acceptable alternatives (teether idea posted above). But it's now every child I enroll has to be stopped of mouthing toys, regardless of age or habit. I have a 4yo and almost 2yo (who has his 2y molars) as the 'worst' offenders. I remove toys to sanitize, but that doesn't stop it.

I made special centers only the children who don't put toys in their mouths can do (smaller pieces) and that hasn't convinced the 4yo to stop. She just pouts about it.

The 2yo's mom admitted that she has the binky all the time at home, so I assume she is looking for the same oral stimulation. The 4yo though? C'mon!
Pestle 10:43 AM 09-07-2016
Gretchen Kinnell's "No Biting" book says it's normal at this age. She recommends providing acceptable chew toys. I told the parents of my biter to send in:
1. At least one soft toy, like a small stuffed animal or teething blanket
2. At least one hard toy, like a wooden block
3. At least one chewy toy, like a teething ring
4. A training toothbrush, like the Nuk brand, that he can work on with his molars

Of course, they haven't done it.
AmyKidsCo 11:00 AM 09-07-2016
Some kids are just more oral than others. I like KiwiKids idea to hand her a teether (I call them "biting toys") when she starts mouthing other things. I used to put small teethers on a pacifier "leash" too.

She may be teething too. I remember when my wisdom teeth came in and those buggers HURT! I have tons of sympathy for teething kiddos!
Tags:19 month old, asq, child development, early childhood education, milestones, mouthing
Reply Up