Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Your Kids Play?
Unregistered 10:28 AM 12-03-2014
Is it just me, or do you find that a lot of kids don't know how to play? I feel like I've had the same problem repeatedly with the last few families I've taken care of. I spend the first month or so trying to teach the children how to entertain themselves with the toys. I have to say, "Go play" many times each day. I feel like all I do is redirect kids back to the toys. If I sit in the floor to play with them, everyone is happy. But self-directed play is severely lacking. And most babies cry to be held constantly. I have a 3 month old so I understand wanting to hold & cuddle them. I spend a lot of time playing with my kids & giving them undivided attention, but when its time to make dinner & clean up, etc., my kids are expected to entertain themselves for a while. Even my three month old plays happily on a blanket nearby while I work. I don't understand how parents get anything done. One little lady I care for (9 mo) cries a hard cry anytime I'm not focusing on her. I get up to change a diaper...crying. I get up to help another child...crying. And I don't have the time or the patience to entertain her all day so there is a whole lot of crying. My poor nerves. Lol What are your thoughts? Is it just a coincidence that I've run into this repeatedly, or is it the style of parenting? When I was a kid no one taught you to play. It was just something you did. Maybe the wide use of television at home causes them to be bored here since I rarely turn it on? I don't know. Just curious if anyone else struggles with this too.
Tags:daycare environment, play
Up