Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Diapers
tenderhearts 12:43 PM 10-20-2010
Ok so I have never in all my daycare years or with my own 2 children had this much difficulty changing a babies diapers, and this is with BOTH the babies I have the 9 mo old and 6 1/2 mo old. They both are a nightmare to change, I've tried every game, distraction and nothing works. Any suggestions?????
kidkair 12:52 PM 10-20-2010
I change babies on the floor. I turn the difficult ones sideways so that I can gently restrain their upperbodies under one of my legs. In my experience the babies become quickly willing to deal with me after a couple restraining changes. I always give them the opportunity to behave and only turn them when they get really bad. I keep sound protection ear muffs in the bathroom to tune out screamers. All in all I go quick and make it as painless as possible. I also do all changes at the same time one after another (with cleaning mat and hands in between) and I start with the ones who behave first.
marniewon 12:52 PM 10-20-2010
singing. That is about the only thing that works for me with my just turned 1yo dcb. Either that or giving him something to play with. In severe cases (will NOT sit still for anything) I will finish whatever I was working on and put him back in pnp. Try again in a few. Believe it or not, he has actually learned to stop trying to get up and he will let me change him.
tenderhearts 12:59 PM 10-20-2010
Thanks, so I can't quite picture how you turn them and pin them, I need to do something it is sooooo hard. I've tried all the distractions, toys, peek a boo, my last baby who is now almost 5 and still here she loved when I would cover her face with her pants and it was a game, but NOTHING works for either of them, I can distract one of them better than the other and I am always quick, I always have the wipes and diaper ready right there, diaper even open all I have to do is literally slide it under, (for wet ones, poopy ones obviously longer).
sahm2three 01:00 PM 10-20-2010
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I change babies on the floor. I turn the difficult ones sideways so that I can gently restrain their upperbodies under one of my legs. In my experience the babies become quickly willing to deal with me after a couple restraining changes. I always give them the opportunity to behave and only turn them when they get really bad. I keep sound protection ear muffs in the bathroom to tune out screamers. All in all I go quick and make it as painless as possible. I also do all changes at the same time one after another (with cleaning mat and hands in between) and I start with the ones who behave first.
This is exactly what I do! LOL! Looks hilarious I am sure, but only way to keep a couple of my dcbabies in one spot!
kidkair 01:24 PM 10-20-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Thanks, so I can't quite picture how you turn them and pin them, I need to do something it is sooooo hard. I've tried all the distractions, toys, peek a boo, my last baby who is now almost 5 and still here she loved when I would cover her face with her pants and it was a game, but NOTHING works for either of them, I can distract one of them better than the other and I am always quick, I always have the wipes and diaper ready right there, diaper even open all I have to do is literally slide it under, (for wet ones, poopy ones obviously longer).
How I pin them:
baby's head, baby's shoulders, my left leg, baby's arms and belly, baby's legs held in my left hand as I clean them mainly using just my right hand.

When I'm not pinning them I have them facing me on the floor between my legs so that we can have some eye contact. Even when pinning them and having ear muffs on I still talk to sing to them.
Tags:diaper changes
Reply Up