Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Insulted
nikia 05:49 PM 12-06-2010
I went to a job interview today to see what options are out there and after I told them that I have been running a day care from home for the last 2 years I was asked the following question: Do you think you will have a problem coming back to a structured, professional workplace since you are coming from a unstructured, unprofessional background.

Maybe I am taking this the wrong way but WOW. I dont know what those ladies thought I do all day. Sit in jammies, eat bon-bons and watch soap operas. Now sitting back reflecting on decisions that need to be made I am reminded why day care appealed to me in the first place. I am just more amazed that they had such little value in what I do everyday. I wanted to say look lady I probably do 10 times the work you do but I didn't, but dang it I should have.

Just thought I would share that. And now after going to that interview I will stick with my jammies, snot full clothes, laughs and lots of love from my daycare kids even if their parents drive me nutty sometimes
kendallina 05:55 PM 12-06-2010
WOW! I hope you set them straight about how professional you are in working with your parents and how structured one must be when you have multiple children in your care. Geez...
marniewon 06:09 PM 12-06-2010
How rude!!!! You should have told them off!! Although, if you're anything like me, you were too shocked to think of something good to say that would be professional and yet put them in their place - until later anyway!
TGT09 06:09 PM 12-06-2010
Uhhhh not to mention running your own business!
QualiTcare 06:45 PM 12-06-2010
people don't value daycare workers. unless you need a "piece of paper" to do what you do, or unless you're making bank, people don't look at it as being a "profession." it's a job.

are you licensed? i think that makes a difference in people's perceptions of "a business" vs "babysitting."

not that licensed providers are that high up on the societal chain either, but i'm wondering where the word "unprofessional" came from bc i can see "unstructured" but not unprofessional.
nikia 07:04 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
people don't value daycare workers. unless you need a "piece of paper" to do what you do, or unless you're making bank, people don't look at it as being a "profession." it's a job.

are you licensed? i think that makes a difference in people's perceptions of "a business" vs "babysitting."

not that licensed providers are that high up on the societal chain either, but i'm wondering where the word "unprofessional" came from bc i can see "unstructured" but not unprofessional.
Yes I am but I don't think should matter. I think these woman thought they were better than someone who watches children for a living. Although they both mentioned they had children and even asked if I had any advice on potty training. Lol. I just shook my head after the insult they hurled at me.
QualiTcare 07:27 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
Yes I am but I don't think should matter. I think these woman thought they were better than someone who watches children for a living. Although they both mentioned they had children and even asked if I had any advice on potty training. Lol. I just shook my head after the insult they hurled at me.
well, i was thinking if they thought of as a licensed provider who runs a childcare" vs. someone who has been "caring for children at home" it would make a difference if they saw you as professional or not. practically anyone CAN keep children at home - unlicensed.

i'm not saying it's right. i wasn't licensed when i did childcare, but i am a licensed teacher so "unprofessional" still wouldn't have fit. if i were 18 years old though and keeping children at home, i wouldn't expect to be considered "professional." even if i acted in "a professional manner" that wouldn't = being a professional.

did you work in a "professional setting" before doing childcare?

btw, people don't value anyone who works with children typically. although teaching is supposedly a "noble profession" there's still that famous quote..."those who can't do, teach."

it's just the way it is - "professional" or not. although i have to say, since i've gone back to school for nursing, teaching was rather easy....but still not why i (or most people) do it bc obviously we're CAPABLE of doing more.
nikia 07:47 PM 12-06-2010
Banking, insurance and accounting so I believe those are professional. I had to acquire all of my insurance and investment license.
QualiTcare 08:06 PM 12-06-2010
those are professional - which makes me think they were probably thinking along the lines of "not working from home and being your own boss" when they referred to unstructured/unprofessional although i still think "unprofessional" was a poor choice of words.

i was watching "the fairy jobmother" the other day which isn't a popular show, and that's the only time i watched - but this stay at home mother was trying to get a job at a childcare center and they were even concerned about her. i was thinking, "if she's spent the past five years caring for children, she could probably care for children," but you never know. i've worked in childcare centers where people have been great entertaining children, but never touched a broom or did anything else and we all know there's a LOT more to it. it's common for stay at home mothers to say, i'm a janitor, a nurse, a cook, etc, etc, etc., and of course, "being a mother is the hardest job in the world."

of course, in the real world, nobody cares. unless you've worked in a kitchen, they don't want you as a cook. unless you're an RN - you're not gonna be a nurse. if you haven't been a janitor, you're not getting hired at a school. and in this economy - there are people applying for jobs who would've never thought twice about them 5 years ago so employers have the upper hand. i wouldn't take it personally.
Unregistered 11:00 AM 12-07-2010
Even though I know that it doesn't matter, I can't help but still get very worked up when I hear people make it sound like being a home childcare provider is "less than" other professions. I think that there are misconceptions about the career choice. Unfortunately, we can't change what others think of us. They might think that we have it easy (which we don't) or they might think that anyone could do our jobs (which they can't). I actually had the husband of a friend say that he felt sorry for me because he knew that my job didn't pay well. My words to him were "Dude, I earn almost twice as much as you do." I knew what his income was because he and his wife didn't have a problem with talking about how much (or little, depending on what month in the year it was) they earned. I don't talk about what I make, generally, but he crossed the line and I was fed up. He convinced his wife to quit her job and start a daycare so that she could be a SAHM and earn money in the meantime, but she was one of the people who just couldn't do it. Yes, some providers don't take their profession seriously and that damages us all when we get lumped together with the ones that are lazy and unprofessional. It sucks to know that some people have attitudes like that but just know that the lady who made the comment to you came across as the unprofessional one, not you.
Tags:insulted, job change
Reply Up